Is Baking Soda Considered a Clarifier?

Candycane044

For ladies that use baking soda as a "shampoo" is it considered a clarifying shampoo or should I still clarify?

I've been washing my hair for the past month or so with baking soda and I'm addicted to it! But I just want to make sure that I'm getting the build up off of my scalp periodically. TIA!

Noir

Yes. Although I must stress that BS does NOT REMOVE CONES. A lot of people believe it does but I researched and researched this and apparently it does not.

msa

Yup, definitely a clarifier.

To avoid some of the dryness it's also good mixed with the conditioner.

Fine 4s

Yes. Although I must stress that BS does NOT REMOVE CONES. A lot of people believe it does but I researched and researched this and apparently it does not.

I co wash only with Organix and THOUGHT i was clarifying with BS. Apparently THAT was BS...what could I use if I'm on a no poo regimen?

Lucky's Mom

For ladies that use baking soda as a "shampoo" is it considered a clarifying shampoo or should I still clarify?

I've been washing my hair for the past month or so with baking soda and I'm addicted to it! But I just want to make sure that I'm getting the build up off of my scalp periodically. TIA!

YEP!!!! Sure is!!!!!

JustKiya

So what clarifier (w/o sulfates) remove cones?
I don't know that there is one, actually. Maybe one of the natural shampoos with the 'milder' sulfates - Neith uses them, I think - would do the job, but I'm not sure.
You might have to use the real thing. :(

Neith

I don't know that there is one, actually. Maybe one of the natural shampoos with the 'milder' sulfates - Neith uses them, I think - would do the job, but I'm not sure.
You might have to use the real thing. :(

Yeah, milder sulfates work. Sodium Myreth Sulfate and Sodium Trideceth Sulfate are gentle cleansers that will remove cones.

I've also used AO shampoo and it is Coconut Oil-Corn Oil Soap
based. The shampoos are good, but just as powerful on the hair as any sodium lauryl sulfate based shampoo imo.

Muse

Yup Noir is right! I tried to go no poo and still use cones does NOT work. :nono: