Is caffeine my friend??

Teja

I'm always seeing this add on TV by Alpecin cosmetics that caffeine is supposed to be great for hair....I did some research and came out with some possitive stuff!
Caffeine has been marketed for some time as a potential hair tonic and restorative by German company Alpecin Cosmetics, but new scientific research suggests that the company may really be on to something.

Research carried out at the Department of Dermatology and Allergology, at the Univeristy of Jena, in Germany, studied the effects of both caffeine and testosterone on in vitro hair follicle samples.
The research aimed to determine the affect of both these substances on androgenetic alopecia and (AGA), a form of hereditary hair loss. This condition affects 50 per cent of men aged 50 years old and currently feeds a huge industry that includes topical, oral and surgical treatments.

The research found that caffeine application spurred growth, while testosterone clearly impeded growth.

Hair follicles from 14 biopsies were taken from the top of the scull of male patients and the samples were cultivated for 120hrs to 192hrs, with hair shaft elongation measured on a daily basis and at the end of the test period.

The results showed significant growth suppression in hair follicles treated with 5 micro grams per milliliter. This was countered by caffeine tested in concentrations of 0.0001 per cent and 0.005 per cent.

The researchers said that, on the contrary, caffeine significantly boosted growth of the hair follicles, leading the team to conclude that caffeine is a stimulator of hair growth and 'may have important clinical impact in the management of AGA'.

The findings back up research carried out by Alpecin Cosmetics, which showed that its After Shampoo Liquid could help to fight the effects of baldness thanks to the inclusion of caffeine.

In a study carried out two years ago, the company claimed that this was because the caffeine contained in the product helped to regulate the testosterone levels, one of the primary causes of AGA.

Has anyone tried this??
Anyone in for a try??

Nonie

I see threads on coffee rinses all the time so I believe there is a bunch using coffee in their hair. Never read the threads coz I'm too lazy to read on something I probably won't be doing because I am not curious enough to try anything new (I try not to change anything in my world if all seems well, you see). I thought you were asking if caffeine is your friend as in drinking it and wanted to tell you that in itself, it's full of antioxidants and is a good friend of mine. :yep: