Is It Appropriate To Call Your Client's Hair A Florida Evans Afro?

Missjaxon

It is never appropriate to call your client names and especially not on a social media platform. She is publicly displaying her insecurities as a stylist. A true stylist knows her limitations. Not all stylists know how to execute every style, treatment or service. But that is why continuing education for the fields of interest are important. I have the greatest respect for past stylist that simply said they didn't know how to do something. People often let their pride or desire for money make them attempt to do something that they no skill in. Being an Aries she should know that she does not have a good grasp on how to handle natural hair in a healthy manner and should say so. Instead, she decides to name call and then gets upset when other commenters call her on it. She would not get one cent from me because I looked at her Instagram or rather closely at her edges. Now there is always the possibility that her edges are not intact due to postpartum shedding because I see she has a young child. The problem is that she has in small braids that look rather taut and that extra weight on a delicate area is a no-no. She's not practicing healthy hair care on her own head. Why would I feel that she would on mine? I had to laugh at some of the commenters saying that a quick pass on 360 or 400 is all that's needed. If I came for braids don't give me a silk press first, please. Okay, back to the shadows.

Evolving78

I had my own hair microbraided when it was like 5-6 inches long. The only thing that was use was some oil an a spray water bottle. My hair was not stretched, and I have some serious shrinkage. She would have had an extremely difficult time braiding my hair. She just needs to stay in her lane and know her limitations. All money ain’t good money.

Missjaxon

I had to google Florida Evans, but I don't think it's an insult. Why would comparing an afro to that of Florida Evans be an insult?

The rest of her 'rant' is stupid though. I wouldn't patronize her salon.

@sunflora It is meant to be an insult. We all know that Florida Evans had nice hair. But if you continue to follow her comments on Instagram she talks about the hair being rough and hurting her hands. She mentions that she has to pull harder to get those nappy waves out. And that is the reason she gives for having to straighten the hair first.

Sarabellam

Nowadays social media is like an open bar at an office event and unfortunately a lot people don’t know how to handle themselves.

I hope she doesn’t have big ambitions in the salon world because if she thinks that it’s ok to post those types of comments then she’ll always be small beans living paycheck to paycheck.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Nowadays social media is like an open bar at an office event and unfortunately a lot people don’t know how to handle themselves.

I hope she doesn’t have big ambitions in the salon world because if she thinks that it’s ok to post those types of comments then she’ll always be small beans living paycheck to paycheck.
There was a better way to deliver her message. And then she shut down someone who disagreed with her in her comments. It’s just kinda tiring, the whole “natural hair is a trend” thing. Post like hers are the reason she’s losing money.

momi

I think she is referring to the new cornrow styles that require extensive "slicking down" as opposed to single or Senegalese braids.

okange76

Her braiding skills must be terrible. African kids who have never seen a hot comb or straightner ever in their lives get their hair braided all the time. A vast majority have extremely tight kinky hair. Many braiders don't even use a spray bottle with oil and water. They just wash the hair, let it dry, oil the scalp and hair with Coconut Oil, Vaseline or Dax type products etc and commence braiding and it turns out super neat. All that extra stuff she's saying is nonsense.