Is It Bad To Do An Extreme Protein Treatment Overnight?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
It's not necessarily bad. However, why leave it on overnight? If you are using a strong protein product though, I would suggest leaving it for either the recommended time or 30 minutes max. You should also follow up with moisture in the same session or later in the same week.

You can, and should use protein regularly, especially if your hair needs it. So once a week is perfect.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
Yes! That sounds like it could cause a set back. When it comes to protein treatments I follow the directions. I'm more liberal when it comes to moisture treatments and I may keep them on longer. Never protein.

Have you tried Aphogee two step?

Remember it takes time to repair hair. You probably won't get your hair back right in one night. It takes weeks and sometimes months of treatments and care to it get back to normal.

meka72

My hair likes a lot of protein. Have you just considered using your hard protein every week or every 2 weeks for a month? I did that not long ago with Aphogee 2 step. I used it once a week for one month and then every 2 weeks for a month. I didn't experience any ill effects.

Aggie

Check out the ceramide 2016 thread for additional help with leave in conditioners, oils, and or moisturizers with ceramides in them for additional help.

Redken anti snap leave in treatment is a wonderful product you can use to keep your hair strong between treatments.

Please do not leave an extreme protein treatment on your hair overnight. You may suffer a very bad set back much worse than the one you have now. All the best.

BonBon

What product are you using and why do you feel you need more protien?

Don't leave it on over night.

irisak

Hmmmm before I say yea or nay, what product are you considering a strong protein treatment?

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Oh no.

You can do more than one treatment per week or use a protein leave in. Alikay Naturals Lemongrass is a good one.

Kindheart

What I learned from years on hair forums and tons of hair books is that you don't need to leave products overnight .there is a maximum amount of product the hair shaft can absorb once that's reached anything left longer will not do anything apart from leaving the hair wet (and more prone to breakage )for longer . Keeping your hair wet overnight can also cause bacteria overgrowth .

http://www.curlynikki.com/2013/12/why-i-stopped-deep-conditioning.html?m=1
You can make a search online ,a lot of hair gurus discourage this practice.

Last edited:

PJaye

It depends. I've left both the Aphogee 2-Step and Komaza Strengthener on overnight with no adverse effects...and I'm protein sensitive.