Is it ok that a hair inspiration is a weave?

seeminglysweet

I was just looking through a few fotkis and I saw some hair inspirations and some of them were weaves, or at least extensions to the natural length or thickness (i.e. kellis, jada).

My question is, is this realistic? Is this ok?

We have all seen threads discussing the "American standard of beauty" and somehow the correlation between a long weave and this standard of beauty somehow, IMO, create a distorted standard of beauty within our own culture. No we are not idolizing barbie or Pam Anderson, but we are inspired by women wearing european hair weaves, which can be construed as them aspiring to the "barbie" image, especially in the cut-throat celebrity world, where that image is most important.

It's obvious that long hair is obtainable in our culture but I guess I find it difficult to strive to achieve something that the person wearing the hair didn't even acheive. I have nothing against weaves and I can understand admiring the STYLE. But in many cases it is not solely about the style of the hair but also the length and appearant health.

What are your thoughts?

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I admire some weaves, but to make a particular one an inspiration......no.

SignatureBeauty

I agree with the AP! I Never Look at Celebrities for inspiration because to me I don't feel that they are Real, Now don't take this the wrong way, what I mean is, they can add and take away and look so Flawless and "extra" hair cannot be detected and then they will say this is all my hair because they are too ashame to say it is a weave. Except for Tyra Banks LOL!!

Maybe they will have a Nice style that was achieved with a Weave that someone might like but then again maybe they want their own hair to be like that weave but be all of their own. I don't know this is a good question.

ClassicBeauty

I don't think it's ok. I think it's like building your hopes on something that's a lie. I'm personally against weaves anyway, so I definitely don't think you should use something that's fake as your inspiration. I think we should all just be the best that we can be without feeling like we need to add hair, color contacts, acrylic, etc, but that's just my personal feelings.
Besides, it's not that admirable...you can just go buy you some like they did if you like it that much.:)

Millahdoowop

I don't think it's a bad thing. If you aspire to have a BAA like someone is sporting (and it's a weave), using the pic something to inspire you isn't going to change that. Same thing with length. I don't see it being a big deal.

camellia

Millah03 said:
I don't think it's a bad thing. If you aspire to have a BAA like someone is sporting (and it's a weave), using the pic something to inspire you isn't going to change that. Same thing with length. I don't see it being a big deal.

I agree.

Just think of all the ladies here who have had people believe they were wearing a wig or a weave when it was nothing but their own hair.

I'm not good at spotting weaves anyway. But if I see a picture of a woman with long shiny thigh length hair and I use that for inspiration I don't think it really matters if it turns out to not be hers. It's not unattainable the way a 19 inch waist and a 42 inch bust are without surgery (for most of us!)

I wouldn't knowingly choose a weave as a hair inspiration though. I'd rather find a picture of someone who actually grew it from their own scalp.

Last edited:

LiberianGirl

camellia said:
I agree.

Just think of all the ladies here who have had people believe they were wearing a wig or a weave when it was nothing but their own hair.

I'm not good at spotting weaves anyway. But if I see a picture of a woman with long shiny thigh length hair and I use that for inspiration I don't think it really matters if it turns out to not be hers. It's not unattainable the way a 19 inch waist and a 42 inch bust are without surgery (for most of us!)

I wouldn't knowingly choose a weave as a hair inspiration though. I'd rather find a picture of someone who actually grew it from their own scalp.

Well said ITA

ohsosuzy

I don't think its a big deal if a hair inspiration is a weave. Most weaves I see these days are a stylist's best attempts to achieve a hair style that looks natural. Many of the styles I see can be done with natural hair with similar length, thickness and texture. After all at some point a beautiful head of natural hair had to inspire these weaves.

RubyWoo

I don't think it's a problem at all. These days weaves look natural and sometimes you can't tell. If a hairstyle is hot, it's hot whether it's weave or not. In addition, some people use weave to achieve a certain look and I don't see why it can't be a source of inspiration in the sense that it inspire's one to be able to rock a certain hairstyle with their own hair w/o the assistance of a weave.