Is it ok to add fragrance oils to hair products?

adrienne0914

Re: Is it ok to add fragrance oils to hair product

i don't think there's anything wrong with it from a healthy hair standpoint. it might be a bit much if the product you're adding it to already has a large amount of fragrance. some of them are good for covering up scents that you don't like though too.

Isis

What an interesting website! They say the fragrance oils do not have alcohol so that's good. The fragrance oils would be synthetic compared to the essential oils, which they have a good variety of.

I would rather have essential oils added to my hair products for fragrance and the added benefits of the oil. Like they say on the site, one must learn how to use the essential oils first and understand its properties before using it or adding it to anything.

Nonie

I believe it's OK to add fragrance oils to hair products, you just have to be careful with fragrance oils as they can be irritating if applied directly to the skin ie if not mixed well with carrier oils. Perfume oils on the other hand can be used directly on the skin without causing any irritation. Check out perfume oils at the Silky Scents website

You could achieve nice scents using only essential oils if you're like Isis and prefer to use only oils that have some health benefit in them, ie pure essential oils. And Adrienne is right; there's an art to mixing them so that the end result isn't overwhelming or the oils don't clash or overpower each other. The following website -- one of my favorite sources of aromatherapy info (great for anyone beginning aromatherapy) -- provides a guide on mixing EOs in ratios that complement each other: the Nature's Gift website

Smiley79

Wow this thread is almost ten years old.
Anyways I was thinking of doing this as well. I have been whipping my own mix of shea butter and coconut oil and I love it. Now I'd like to try to add a little fragrance in the mix for a sweet smelling touch. Im going to email Brambleberry and see what they say about their fragrwnce oils. I already have a few of theirs on hand.