Is it protein or moisture??

tapioca_pudding

Hey ya'll.. Im trying to figure out how to determine if a product is considered protein or moisture? Ive basically been going off what I read here on the boards. And I read the description of products and look for words like "replenish" (which I take to mean a moisturizer) and "rebuild/reconstruct" (which I take to mean a protein). Am I doing this correctly? Or are there certain ingredients that make up a protein/moisturizing treatment? :confused:

I notice that my hair can definitely get 'mushy' or lifeless when its over moisturized. So Im trying to make sure I incorporate some proteins in there. My regimen is below for critiquing, ideas:

Regimen:

--Daily--
Treat scalp w/ BoundlessTresses @ nite (growth aid)
Lightly moisturize ends w/ ORS Carrot Oil morning & nite (moisture)
Seal w/ JoJoba
--Weekly--
Prepoo w/ Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor (light protein)+ Jojoba on dry hair for 1 hr+
Co-wash w/ Suave Strawberries & Cream
DC w/ NeutrogenaTripleMoisture Mask (moisture) for 20 min under dryer
NeutrogenaTripleMoisutre LeaveIn
Workout 4x a week
--Once A Month--
Clarify
--Every 3 weeks--
Emergencee Treatment (heavy Protein) under dryer followed by​
Nexxuss (Humectress or Humectant) + Honey + Olive Oil (moisture) 15 mins

Thanks SO MUCH to ne repsonses in advance!!! :D

preciousjewel76

IMO, the best way to tell if a product is moisturizing or if it contains proteins is to look at the ingredients. Don't rely on the product descriptions, because those can be misleading!

The info about types of proteins posted below was taken from the following thread. You can look for these on yourr ingredients list. Moisturizing (protein-free) products will not generally contain these ingredients:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...d.php?t=114629

All proteins are strengthening proteins to some degree but here are more specific characteristics of these proteins:

Collagen Proteins --
known for increasing elasticity in the hair.

Silk Proteins -- known for softening the hair.

Wheat Proteins -- a moisturizing and strengthening protein. Known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture.

Keratin Protein -- responsible for keeping the hair strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the (hair product) proteins and is actually the one hair is made from. This one re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals. It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see the following as an ingredient:

*a) Keratin protein -- the will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer)

*b) Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein of Keratin Amino Acids -- this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.

*c) Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin -- This is an exact match for the keratin your hair has (or has lost due to chemical processing). This is the highest quality and most potent keratin that can be used in hair products.

*Vegetable protein -- Vegetable protein absorbs more easily into the hair shaft (than animal protein) and does not create build-up, leaves the hair very shiny, radiant, luxuriant, and healthy.

*Animal protein -- Animal protein breaks down into fatty acids, which coats the hair and create residual build-up.

Silk Amino Acids/Protein -- Natural Silk is the strongest, natural fiber known to mankind. Discovered in Japan and has been used for centuries in all kinds of products that require durability. Silk has a tiny molecule that can penetrate the entire hair shaft deeper than all other proteins without adding any weight leaving the hair feeling clean and non-greasy.

The Keratin is some reconstructors should not leave your hair hard like the Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair (which contains hydrolyzed animal protein). This treatment hardens on your hair for a reason and is used with mild heat. A moisturizing conditioner is a must with this in order to soften like KeraCare Humecto.

Reconstructors that contain keratin and other proteins are supposed to have enough moisture to soften the hair therefore leaving your hair with a nice protein/moisture balance.

HoneyDew

kels823 said:
Hey ya'll.. Im trying to figure out how to determine if a product is considered protein or moisture? Ive basically been going off what I read here on the boards. And I read the description of products and look for words like "replenish" (which I take to mean a moisturizer) and "rebuild/reconstruct" (which I take to mean a protein). Am I doing this correctly? Or are there certain ingredients that make up a protein/moisturizing treatment? :confused:

I notice that my hair can definitely get 'mushy' or lifeless when its over moisturized. So Im trying to make sure I incorporate some proteins in there. My regimen is below for critiquing, ideas:

Regimen:

--Daily--
Treat scalp w/ BoundlessTresses @ nite (growth aid)
Lightly moisturize ends w/ ORS Carrot Oil morning & nite (moisture)
Seal w/ JoJoba
--Weekly--
Prepoo w/ Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor (light protein)+ Jojoba on dry hair for 1 hr+
Co-wash w/ Suave Strawberries & Cream
DC w/ NeutrogenaTripleMoisture Mask (moisture) for 20 min under dryer
NeutrogenaTripleMoisutre LeaveIn
Workout 4x a week
--Once A Month--
Clarify
--Every 3 weeks--
Emergencee Treatment (heavy Protein) under dryer followed by​
Nexxuss (Humectress or Humectant) + Honey + Olive Oil (moisture) 15 mins

Thanks SO MUCH to ne repsonses in advance!!! :D

Those words should mean those things, but I have found too mnay products that use the words rebuilder or reconstructor and had NO protein in them. Many protein conditioners say they restore moisture, as well. I think the key is checking ingredients and finding the ones that work for you.

preciousjewel76

Also, another tip:

You don't have to DC after a co-wash. That might be too much moisture for your hair. You can also use a conditioner with more protein, like Mane N Tail, for your co-wash. Sometimes, I use the 2-Minute Aphogee after my co-wash. I'm not sure if it would be very effective when used as a pre-poo.

tapioca_pudding

preciousjewel76 said:
Also, another tip:

You don't have to DC after a co-wash. That might be too much moisture for your hair. You can also use a conditioner with more protein, like Mane N Tail, for your co-wash. Sometimes, I use the 2-Minute Aphogee after my co-wash. I'm not sure if it would be very effective when used as a pre-poo.

Thank you SO MUCH for this suggestion!! I kept thinking that it may be too much moisture which is why I added the Aphogee to the mix. But Im gonna do a pre-poo w/ the NTM Mask and use something w/ protein as my cowash then maybe follow w/ the 2min aphogee every now and then as necessary. I have to see what conditioner I have @ home thats protein enuf for a cowash... Thanks!

Thanks so EVERYONE for the responses!! Especially for that link.. thats one to be printed! :)

preciousjewel76

kels823 said:
Thank you SO MUCH for this suggestion!! I kept thinking that it may be too much moisture which is why I added the Aphogee to the mix. But Im gonna do a pre-poo w/ the NTM Mask and use something w/ protein as my cowash then maybe follow w/ the 2min aphogee every now and then as necessary. I have to see what conditioner I have @ home thats protein enuf for a cowash... Thanks!

Thanks so EVERYONE for the responses!! Especially for that link.. thats one to be printed! :)

You could even skip the prepoo IMO, as that's more appropriate when you're going to shampoo (which can strip the moisture from the hair). I'd say just try a straight-up co-wash - just wet your hair and "lather" with conditioner, rinse, and add your leave-ins. IMO that extra step isn't necessary. But, of course, you have to try and see what works for YOU.

tapioca_pudding

preciousjewel76 said:
You could even skip the prepoo IMO, as that's more appropriate when you're going to shampoo (which can strip the moisture from the hair). I'd say just try a straight-up co-wash - just wet your hair and "lather" with conditioner, rinse, and add your leave-ins. IMO that extra step isn't necessary. But, of course, you have to try and see what works for YOU.

I understand what youre saying... that makes sense!! (You see how much I dont know??) I only wash my hair once a week. So would a Deep Condition ever be necessary? Or only when my hair feels like it needs extra help? I guess I have to play w/ it and see how my hair responds..

preciousjewel76

kels823 said:
I understand what youre saying... that makes sense!! (You see how much I dont know??) I only wash my hair once a week. So would a Deep Condition ever be necessary? Or only when my hair feels like it needs extra help? I guess I have to play w/ it and see how my hair responds..

You should DC at least once a week, but I personally don't find it necessary to DC when I co-wash. My hair can't take all that moisture. I poo/DC once a week, and co-wash once a week. I don't really do prepoos, I just don't have the time. But yeah, you kind of have to see what your hair likes and dislikes.:look:

Good luck!

preciousjewel76 said:
Moisturizing (protein-free) products will not generally contain these ingredients:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...d.php?t=114629

that's not true, there are many moisturizing products that do contain protein, just because a product cantains protein doesn't automatically make it a protein product, you have have to pay attention to where the protein appears on the ingredient list, if a product has nine ingredients and the first 5 or 6 ingredients are moisturizing and protein appears 7th it is most likely a moisturizing product, most ingredients are list according to concentration, if protein appears in the first set of ingredients then it's a protein product but if the protein appears towards the end then it's a moisturizing product

preciousjewel76

destiny616 said:
that's not true, there are many moisturizing products that do contain protein, just because a product cantains protein doesn't automatically make it a protein product, you have have to pay attention to where the protein appears on the ingredient list, if a product has nine ingredients and the first 5 or 6 ingredients are moisturizing and protein appears 7th it is most likely a moisturizing product, most ingredients are list according to concentration, if protein appears in the first set of ingredients then it's a protein product but if the protein appears towards the end then it's a moisturizing product

That's true, I was just trying to speak in the simplest of terms since the OP is relatively new.:) But I agree that just because a product contains some protein doesn't make it a "reconstructor".

preciousjewel76 said:
That's true, I was just trying to speak in the simplest of terms since the OP is relatively new.:) But I agree that just because a product contains some protein doesn't make it a "reconstructor".

oh okay, i see

tapioca_pudding

Thanks you guys. :) Im gonna print that list and compare it to all my products @ home. Then write in big black marker MOISTURE or PROTEIN on the bottle so I wont get confused.... (Im slow like that)... :D

preciousjewel76

kels823 said:
Thanks you guys. :) Im gonna print that list and compare it to all my products @ home. Then write in big black marker MOISTURE or PROTEIN on the bottle so I wont get confused.... (Im slow like that)... :D

You are silly!:lachen:

Good luck, though!

trulyurangel82

destiny616 said:

agree. I use aubreys gpb conditioner and it does have protien in it but its also moisturizing.
If im not mistaken the gpb stands for glycogen protien balancer. It has protien in it but not too much. Its a light protien but has oils and moisturizing components to it.