Is it safe to relax thinning hair?

luvovcandy

I lost a lot of hair through breakage. I assume that the hair lost is the relaxed hair because my 4 months of new growth is thick and strong. I think my hair is breaking where the relaxed and natural meets. Do you think it is safe for me to relax my hair or should I try to stretch longer?

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I likely would not relax if I knew my hair wasn't in great condition. You may be asking for trouble. If you are ok with possibly needing to cut away all of the relaxed ends if your hair breaks even further then I'd say go ahead and take the chance.

HERicane10

It is also possible that you've reached your maximum relaxer stretch point. You do not want to continue having excess breakage unless you plan to BC. Please detangle carefully, deep condition and proceed with your relaxer the next week.

sharifeh

I lost a lot of hair through breakage. I assume that the hair lost is the relaxed hair because my 4 months of new growth is thick and strong. I think my hair is breaking where the relaxed and natural meets. Do you think it is safe for me to relax my hair or should I try to stretch longer?

on the contrary I would go ahead and relax at this point a 4 month stretch is so long
go ahead and relax before you lose more hair I would think
put a lot of coconut oil and rosewater in your hair to keep it moist or anything else you moisturize with

Tamrin

unapologetic
I would not relax. I would DC more frequently, moisturize the the line of demarcation and avoid manipulation (combing from root to tip) unless in the shower with a good conditioner that gives good slip. Right now is really the time treat your hair. Please do not relax yet.

luvovcandy

I likely would not relax if I knew my hair wasn't in great condition. You may be asking for trouble. If you are ok with possibly needing to cut away all of the relaxed ends if your hair breaks even further then I'd say go ahead and take the chance.
Noooooooooooooooooooo! My hair is finally APL and the longest its ever been! I really want to hold onto my strands. LOL. My ends are good though.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I totally disagree with some of these posters. You should go ahead and relax. Your breakage has nothing to do with damage. The demarcation point is very fagile and that's what's causing your problem. Some people can stretch longer than others. I think you have reached your max. Relax it.

Denise11

You're breaking because you've stretched too long, for your hair. Everybody can't stretch. You need to relax now so that it can stop. Just moisturizing and conditioning just ain't gonna fix it.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
You're breaking because you've stretched too long, for your hair. Everybody can't stretch. You need to relax now so that it can stop. Just moisturizing and conditioning just ain't gonna fix it.

BlondeByDesire

I don't have an answer for you because everyone's hair is different. But if it were me and I wasn't transitioning or planning on BCing anytime soon, I would treat my hair with TLC over the next two weeks and then relax. Apparently the stretch is causing problems and maybe you've stretched as far as your hair will allow.

chicacanella

What about the BKT process? I hear that's good. you should check out the threads on BKT and it let's your hair revert back to natural after three months. I think it's three months.:yep:

Liege4421

I agree you should relax, but do an ApHogee treatment the week before you relax to give your hair extra strength. Also I agree you should protect your hair really well before you relax with a good base.

sylver2

Are you absolutely 100% sure the breakage is from stretching? i would not relax until i pinpointed the problem. it could be overprocessing from your last relaxer ..thats how my hair started breakiing and also at the demarcation line.. and i wasn't even stretching like that.