Is jheri curl and texturized hair the same?

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by sugawooga, Mar 22, 2004.

1. sugawooga

sugawooga New Member

Is jheri curl and texturized hair the same thing? If not then what is the difference? [​IMG]

2. CurlyCrly

CurlyCrly To each his own. :)

No. It is my understanding that Jheri curls were double-processed. Something was applied to the hair to smooth/straighten it, then the hair was rolled up on perm rods and something else was applied to it to get it to conform to the shape of the curler. I believe heat was applied at some point, but don't quote me on that. I never had one, so I'm just stating what I read or was told by others.

A texturizer is a relaxer, but it is left on for a shorter period of time and/or a milder strength is used.

3. skegeesmb

skegeesmb New Member

Nope it's not the same. CurlyCrly, is right, I don't know if they use heat or not either, but it is definately a double process.

4. RushGirl

RushGirl #1 PARTY GIRL

Can you get a Jheri curl if you have relaxed hair? Prolly no right?

5. kinikini2

kinikini2 I've missed LHCF!

Nope. The Jheri curl should only be applied on virgin hair in order to (greatly!) reduce the chance of damage.

6. beastmode

beastmode Well-Known Member

<font color="blue"> No, you can't get a jheri curl if you have relaxed hair. You have to cut off all of the relaxed hair &amp; then do the jheri curl, I believe...

7. GodMadeMePretty

GodMadeMePretty New Member

Having had a jheri curl in my lifetime - EONS ago - they are not the same as a texturizer. As curlycrl said, a texturizer is a relaxer with lye, no-lye, etc. normal relaxer. Put in the relaxer, wash it out a short time later.

With the jhericurl, relaxer is applied, washed out, rolled and then some other stuff is put in to lock in the curl - much like a caucasian hair perm. The second solution stinks.

If you have a perm, the jheri curl does not mesh well with it - jheri curls use a thio-based cream and putting jheri curl over a perm or vice versa is a no-no unless you're only doing the new growth which means a very short cut for either process if you're switching.

8. RushGirl

RushGirl #1 PARTY GIRL

I didn't think so but it doesn't hurt to ask.. thanks everyone.. Do people still get them? I remember when people had them when I was in high school but everyone that had them..their hair always looked really greasy.. does it always look that way?

9. kinikini2

kinikini2 I've missed LHCF!

Nope. Not at all. I had a jheri curl or "Wave Nouveau/dry curl" during my junior year of college and my hair grew.. looking back now I think it was the constant moisture. But it doesnt have to look drippy or greasy. Use the right products at the right time - I would do extra moisturizing at night so that during the day I used just enough to hold the curls and nothing more to "drip". Mine looked like a texturizer -- I will have to post pics one day. I sometimes would get it carefully blown out straight too... I had to get rid of it because an inpatient stylist didn't neutralize correctly and my hair started breaking horribly. I wish I had known about LHCF back then [​IMG]

10. RushGirl

RushGirl #1 PARTY GIRL

I'd love to see pics some day.. Maybe I'll get one some day..if I ever decide to stop relaxing my hair..we'll see

Thanks for the info!

11. sugawooga

sugawooga New Member

Thanks sooooo much for the information. I was considering getting my hair texturized and my husband posed this question to me. I didn't want my hair in a jheri curl but then I noticed how beautiful women look on LHCF with texturized hair. Now that I know that jheri curls and texturizing is not the same it is definitly on the top of my list on how I want my hair. No offense to any women out there who have jheri curls but I just don't want the wet look all the time.
    I have one more question though. Do you have to retouch texturized hair? If so, how?