Is Nail Growth and Hair Growth Related

virtuenow

Is there a correlation between nail and hair growth? I always see hair and nail vitamins and the two are discussed side by side in the vitamin world often. So I'm assuming if your nails are growing long/healty/strong then your hair is growing at the same rate of health/strength, right??

The reason I ask is because I have always had long, healthy nails. I would always get questioned as a kid as to whether my nails fake b/c they were so long. I remember the girl w/the longest hair the neighborhood always saying she wanted to trade me her hair for my nails and would take long nails anyday over long hair (tehe :look:). I put little to no effort into growing or protecting my nails; they were strong and would not break easily. However, this did not translate to my hair. It was the exact opposite experience. Short, breaking, seemingly ungrowing and dry dry hair.

In the last two years they haven't been as long (generally) and started to break too easy, but I got an extreme spurt last spring...and now again this summer in the last several weeks. I'm getting those same comments as a kid. But I'm looking for the growth spurt to my hair...hmmmm

Thoughts??

MrsMe

I'd like to know too, because my hair and my nails seem to compete for nutrients.

iri9109

idk...my nails are horrible, but i have decent growth...my sister's nails grow like crazy, she cuts them down every week...she's always had long nails, but her hair growth is less than average...

BrookeLynn

I believe there is a connection between your nails, hair and teeth. I have perfect teeth- they're white, straight, all in my mouth and never had one cavity. My hair- left up to its own devices and not fried died and laid to the side has always grown in full and healthy. My nails have always been extremely long. In fact, I have never worn tips. My nails are real underneath my wraps. I keep them cut short but they grow back to ridiculous lengths rather quickly.

ebsalita

I have always had very strong fast growing nails which I get from my father. (They are so strong I have to cut my fingernails with a good quality nail clipper first before I even attempt to shape them, and can only use glass nail file as they rip right through standard emery boards). I always wondered why my hair wasn't long when my nails grew really well.

To be honest I now think my hair and nail growth have always been related, but I didn't take care of my hair so I couldn't retain it. So very glad I found this place as now I feel like it's growing AND I'm keeping it on my head ...

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Nail Biology

For some people, nails are the highlight of the hand. Beautiful, well groomed nails enhance your overall appearance. Nails shield the ends of the fingers and toes from trauma and serve to protect the delicate sense of touch in the fingertips.

Nails are vestigial remnants of defensive weapons of our distant ancestors. In humans, nails evolved as aids for picking up small objects and for scratching. Our nails, like hair, are made of the hard protein called keratin. Also like hair, the nail is a direct outgrowth of the skin. The primary protein in nails is keratin, the same hard tough protein that also forms the feathers and beaks of birds, the claws of animals. Keratin is tough and resists most environmental stresses, but like hair is damaged by alkaline conditions and excessive heat.

Nail Structure

The structure of the nail and its growth is very similar to hair. The nail is formed in a pocket of skin called the nail fold which has grown inward (somewhat like a hair follicle).

Nail Plate - The nail plate is the scientific name of what we commonly call our nail. It is hard, smooth, shiny, somewhat rectangular, and slightly convex. The plate is translucent and essentially colorless, but appears pink because of the network of blood vessels under the nail bed below the nail plate. The nail plate grows as if in a 3-sided tunnel with no roof.

The Nail Plate consists of three layers.

The Dorsal Layer is the topmost layer (outer) of the plate. Its cells are primarily soft keratin and they are less flattened than nail cells of the intermediate layer below it.

The Intermediate Layer is the middle layer of the nail plate and its cells are primarily hard keratin and are flatter, larger, and more compact than nail cells above and below it.

The Ventral Layer is the bottom layer of the nail plate. Its cells are primarily made of soft keratin and similar to the topmost or ventral layer. Its thickness is similar to the dorsal layer.

The nail cells forming the nail plate are bound to each other by numerous tiny protein fibers. After nail cells are formed at the matrix they progressively broaden and flatten as they move to the fingertip.

The Hyponychium is the portion of the fingertip underneath the outer free edge of the fingernail. The outer (top) layer of the skin is attached to the under side of the nail plate and gives the characteristic whitish color to the nail’s free edge.

The Lunula is the whitish, half-moon shaped area visible at the base of the nail. It is at the junction between the nail matrix and the nail bed. The white half-moon is due to nail cells of the lunula area that are not fully mature, keratinized, and differentiated. The size and shape of the lunula is very individual and varies in each finger of every individual. In some people it is well marked while in other persons it is undefined or hazy. The lunula tends to disappear in as we get older.

The Cuticle is an extension of the skin of the roof of the nail bed (eponychium). The upper ridge of the nail bed is under the cuticle which itself is an extension of the skin of the finger.

The Nail Matrix is the area which generates the nail and is also called the root of the nail. It appears wedge shaped with the nail plate fixed at the opening. The outer layer of the matrix is specialized cells that create the keratin that grows out as the nail plate.

The Nail Bed is the finger tissue that supports the nail. The nail bed does not contribute to the growth of the nail but the surface of the nail bed has vertical ridges and depressions that interlock into the nail plate to give a firm adhesion between the nail bed and the nail plate. The nail bed grows out along with the nail plate and its elaborate network of blood capillaries help provide nutrition for the nail plate. When the nail plate is separated from the nail bed such as after an injury, the nail plate becomes discolored, cloudy and distorted.

Nail Growth

While the nail is similar to hair, it does not undergo the hair cycle of growth and non-growth. Nails grow continuously throughout your life. They grow approximately one-half to one millimeter weekly. Complete nail growth for the nail plate to completely replace itself from the time it is formed in at the root until it reaches beyond the finger tip takes from 5 to 7 months. Toenails grow much more slowly, about third to half the growth rate of fingernails. Nails grow more during the summer. The middle finger nail grows fastest, with the growth rate progressively decreasing on the fourth, second, fifth fingers and finally the thumb. When a nail is injured and falls off, it is replaced at the normal growth rate. However, if the nail matrix is destroyed, the new nail will not grow. If the matrix is damaged, the new nail is likely to grow in a distorted form. Right-handed people’s nails grow more quickly on the right hand and left- handed peoples nails growth faster on left-hand

Protecting Nails

Like hair, nails are usually healthiest in their natural state, and while nail polishes and cosmetic nails may improve your appearance, they tend to degrade nail health.

Nail health is best if you avoiding repeated wetting and drying of the nails. Exposure to water, drying and stresses of daily wear and tear cause nails to become more brittle, and more prone to chipping, splitting and breaking. The keratin protein in nails is hardest at a slightly acid pH and many alkaline detergents, soaps and cleaners cause a loosening of the fibers of keratin proteins that form the nail.

In recent years, salons say that more nail damage is caused by cosmetic/beautifying procedures. However, nail protection is still equally important.

Cosmetics such as nail polishes and artificial nails generally degrade nail health. Give your nails a break from cosmetic polishes and artificial nails for one to three months per year to allow the nails to recover their health. Treatments such as nail strengtheners and hardeners can help to protect nails from breakage, but polish removers weaken nails. When applying coating of nail strengtheners and hardeners, apply them a subsequent coats over the previous treatments rather than removing the earlier coating.

Cotton lined rubber gloves are best for nails and should be used when during household or job-related work that involves getting the hands wet.
Source

hair4romheaven

Huh? What does this mean as far as growth correlation?

Sorry,im responding from my phone. Its all a part of the same system. Think respiratory system each organ and or function correlate. The same with hair, skin & nails, which is why most vitamins for the hair improve skin & nail function. Have you made a recent change in vitamins or diet?

virtuenow

Not a change per se, but I am always off and on w/vitamins. I my be hving a good month w/actually taking them :)

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Charla

I sure do hope nail growth and hair growth are related because I upped my MSM to 3000mg daily complemented with 2000 mg Vit C. I cut my nails to bare and now 10 days later my nails are so long and pretty that I pulled out my Sally Hansen Hard as Nails to put a pretty glaze on them!
I've been taking this dose since July 28.
Hope my hair responds the same!

Britt

Nope not for me at all.. my nails have always been brittle and never bright white tips, or really healthy looking. They chip very easily. My hair on the otherhand it strong and grows well and I have pretty good skin. So no, there is no correlation for me at all. I know plenty of women with awesome nails and shytty hair... *shrugs*. Guess it's the luck of the draw. I find most people to have great nails tho. I've always wanted a hand of healthy pretty nails.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Some diseases and illnesses can cause changes in your nails (spots, ridges etc) as well as your hair (thinning, brittleness etc etc).

Long nails and long hair comes from two things: low manipulation and moisturizing. It is absolutely funny but it is really that simple. This is a side note but I am thinking about starting a nail blog because the principles that apply to hair, apply to nails as well. Nails and hair are both "dead". All you can do is maintain and keep what you have and preserve it. Once you damage your hair by obsessive manipulation, then it is going to break off or split. Once you damage your nails by physical trauma then they are going to break off or split.

Do I believe that the growth of both of them are related? To an extent. It is estimated that it takes 6 months for your nail to grow from your cuticle to the tip. But to get it to grow long you have to "retain" it by keeping the nail "healthy" and hydrated. If you abusive it (hair or nails) then you lose it.

And all of this is coming from someone who has suffered from short nail syndrome all her life and is slowly growing her nails out super long.

ms.blue

My nails tend to grow really fast and they are hard (I once cut myself deep w/ my thumb nail by accident) but my hair growth is just average. My sister hair grows fast but her nail growth is slow.

*my middle, ring and pinky grow the fastest*

silenttullip

girl no ! lol I have the same issue...
I just broke all my nails off end of June and they're already climbing back.
People always thought the same thing "those are fake"
I haven't heard someone ask me if all this hair is mine in a long time.
I never took vitamins or anything but for my hair I'm so vitamined up lol.
Not sure why besides our nails don't sweat balancing sebum is a big deal.
Also I read that our hair is the last part to get the goodness from foods, water, vitamins etc. Not sure how true it is. I think the main reason my nails grow is genetics.
My mom has "witch nails" as for hair it was long when she was overseas because she kept it tied up but otherwise idk. I don't thin genetics is totally the reason but has a lot to do with it in many cases. Anywho yep long nails doesn't mean long hair sadly.
Ifso I'd probably get 2in a month lol

empressri

Well...sort of. If your hair or nail growth seems stunted, you could be lacking in certain vitamins or what have you.

But...the other caveat...if you're only focusing on your hair and never your nails that might by why it seems they don't grow. Anyone's mother ever tell them to keep nail polish on so they'll grow? lol It's not that it makes them grow, it's that so they don't break.

Soon as I started giving myself regular manicures my nails retained all of its growth. Before? Please, little nubs!

Although there are some who don't have to do crap to their nails and they just grow and stay long.

eta: your nails are extensions of your bones, might have a different growth rate at that.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I am one of those people who nails grow effortlessly. If only my hair was that easy.

I am taking Nioxin. So far, no major growth that I can tell.

virtuenow

My nails tend to grow really fast and they are hard (I once cut myself deep w/ my thumb nail by accident) but my hair growth is just average. My sister hair grows fast but her nail growth is slow.

*my middle, ring and pinky grow the fastest*

Oh yeah, my thumbs grows the the fastest by far. Eventhough I received extreme trauma in one as a child w/shutting in the car door. The doc said he would have to remove and the nail would never be normal. But mom prayed. Its been my favorite and best nail for years. Next in line are my ring fingers and then pinkys. Those always stay long.

I am one of those people who nails grow effortlessly. If only my hair was that easy.

I am taking Nioxin. So far, no major growth that I can tell.
I can see you're showing your nails off in your siggy picture. They are nice :)

brittle_hair

Taking 2 nioxins a day has made my nails very hard and long - hope it's doing the same to my hair - long and strong!

Beautytalk69

When I was young, I had super long nails. I always had them polished and was very careful not to break them. My hair was always short..because of breakage. Now I don't care too much about my nails because I deal with money all day. No matter how hard I try, my nails will break. I semi take care of my hair(compared to the women on here) and my hair is doing alright. It all depends on how you take care of something, in order to see it flourish.

Afro Puff

My nails have always grown quickly. I remember being in kindy and a friend trying to break my nails because they were long. As soon as I cut them, they're back to the same length in no time. Thank God.

My hair grows at the normal speed...1 inch every 2 months. Again, thank God.