Is Nettle a Protein?

JFK

Hi Ladies,

I recently began to tea rinse with nettle tea and was wondering if it is a protein. I need to up my moisture, not the protein.

Does anyone know?

TIA!

teacherjess

I thought it was an herb, but I could be wrong. I don't know if it acts as a protein or not. My hair science knowledge is limited, so hopefully someone who knows will chime in! lol

mariofmagdal

Hope this helps, it sure does have protein.

Stinging nettle is a powerhouse of nutrients. It contains on average 22% protein, 4% fats, 37% non-nitrogen extracts, 9-21% fiber, and 19-29% ash. The leaves contain about 4.8 mg chlorophyll per gram of dry leaves, depending on whether the plant was grown in the sun or shade. Surprisingly, more chlorophyll and carotenoids are found in plants that have been grown in the shade. The dried leaf of nettle contains 40% protein. They are one of the highest known sources of protein in a leafy green, and of superior quality than many other green leafy vegetables, The fresh leaves contain vitamins A, C, D, E, F, K, P, and b-complexes as well as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, and vitamin B-6, all of which were found in high levels, and act as antioxidants. The leaves are also noted for their particularly high content of the metals selenium, zinc, iron, and magnesium. They contain boron, sodium, iodine, chromium, copper, and sulfur. They also contain tannic and gallic acids, gum, and wax. Sixteen free amino acids have been found in the leaves, as well as high silicon levels in the leaves, stems and roots. Amino acids in dehydrated nettle meal are nutritionally superior to those of alfalfa meal.

JFK

Hope this helps, it sure does have protein.
Stinging nettle is a powerhouse of nutrients. It contains on average 22% protein, 4% fats, 37% non-nitrogen extracts, 9-21% fiber, and 19-29% ash. The leaves contain about 4.8 mg chlorophyll per gram of dry leaves, depending on whether the plant was grown in the sun or shade. Surprisingly, more chlorophyll and carotenoids are found in plants that have been grown in the shade. The dried leaf of nettle contains 40% protein. They are one of the highest known sources of protein in a leafy green, and of superior quality than many other green leafy vegetables, The fresh leaves contain vitamins A, C, D, E, F, K, P, and b-complexes as well as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, and vitamin B-6, all of which were found in high levels, and act as antioxidants. The leaves are also noted for their particularly high content of the metals selenium, zinc, iron, and magnesium. They contain boron, sodium, iodine, chromium, copper, and sulfur. They also contain tannic and gallic acids, gum, and wax. Sixteen free amino acids have been found in the leaves, as well as high silicon levels in the leaves, stems and roots. Amino acids in dehydrated nettle meal are nutritionally superior to those of alfalfa meal.

Wow. Thanks for the info...I wonder if it is alright to still do the rinse as long as I DC with a super moisturizing conditioner (i.e. ORS Pak). Thanks again MarioofMagdal.

JFK

[QUOTE=yardyspice;10178886]How do you do a tea rinse?[/QUOTE]

You know, I don't really know how a proper tea rinse is done LOL.

I just brew the tea and apply it to my scalp with a spray bottle for all of the nutrients and antioxidants. Then I apply deep conditioner to my hair from root to tip and DC.

I think other women dump the tea all over their head though...hopefully someone with knowledge will chip in.

mariofmagdal

Wow. Thanks for the info...I wonder if it is alright to still do the rinse as long as I DC with a super moisturizing conditioner (i.e. ORS Pak). Thanks again MarioofMagdal.

Well, I don't do tea rinses, but I love nettle tea, I steep it and sweeten it with Molasses. This is a power packed vitamin drink to say the least. I have a min 2 cups per day.

gymfreak336

It's not a protein. The benefit of nettle tea rinse is the tea itself which is acidic so it helps keep the hair cuticle tight and strong.

JFK

Well, I don't do tea rinses, but I love nettle tea, I steep it and sweeten it with Molasses. This is a power packed vitamin drink to say the least. I have a min 2 cups per day.

Yeah. I searched and found a thread by Isis, I believe, where she was talking about the benefits of nettle tea for hair growth. I saw that it was a main ingredient in Mo Grow Oil as well.

So I bought some sachets of it to use on my hair and to consume. It's not that bad! I mix it with green tea and add honey.

Hey MarioofMagdal, have you noticed results directly from using the tea?

JFK

It's not a protein. The benefit of nettle tea rinse is the tea itself which is acidic so it helps keep the hair cuticle tight and strong.

Oh wait a minute...so should I be adding the tea to my hair AFTER DC'ing? Kind of like an ACV rinse or Porosity Control?

mariofmagdal

Yeah. I searched and found a thread by Isis, I believe, where she was talking about the benefits of nettle tea for hair growth. I saw that it was a main ingredient in Mo Grow Oil as well.

So I bought some sachets of it to use on my hair and to consume. It's not that bad! I mix it with green tea and add honey.

Hey MarioofMagdal, have you noticed results directly from using the tea?

Honestly I can't tell what does what for my hair. The tea is very calming for me. When my kids can't sleep I give them a hot cup and they somehow fall fast asleep. (only with the nettle tea does this happen)

I also drink more of it when I feel a cold coming on and the symptoms are gone within 2 days.