Is Pre Pooing Necessary?

fairylamb

Hi everyone. I fell out of the habit of pre pooing a long time ago. I've only done it a few times. That is usually when I neglect my hair for a long time. I wanted to get your thoughts on pre pooing. Is it necessary for your hair routine? How often do you pre poo? In what ways does it make a difference from not pre pooing?

faithVA

I don't prepoo. Wash day is long enough for me without adding anything extra. I did try prepooing years ago but I found with the right shampoos and conditioners, I didn't need it. But if I were to wear extensions for an extended period of time I would probably condition first before I shampooed so I could detangle properly.

GGsKin

It's not necessary for my hair but I do preepoo sometimes, especially after taking out a long term style (which I rarely do). I tend to use the term interchangeably with any treat I give my hair before a shampoo. This could be an Ayurvedic treat or Olaplex no.3, otherwise I'll go straight to shampooing.

Last edited:

fairylamb

I don't prepoo. Wash day is long enough for me without adding anything extra. I did try prepooing years ago but I found with the right shampoos and conditioners, I didn't need it. But if I were to wear extensions for an extended period of time I would probably condition first before I shampooed so I could detangle properly.
Wash day is long for me also. That's why I stopped pre pooing in the first place:laugh: It's good that the shampoo and conditioner you use work in a way where you don't need to pre poo!

awhyley

I pre-poo because the mixture has Chebe in it and the slip is good. :yep:

I still do it because if I don't, my hair gets really tangled during shampooing and then makes detangling with my deep conditioner a nightmare. I don't shampoo my hair in twists because my hair gets tangled in those twists as well lol.

Are you using the right shampoo? Generally, for me, after a pre-poo, shampooing is a breeze.

Oh so it decreases tangles for you. Maybe I'll try it again cuz my hair gets tangled during the shampoo process also.

Same question, are yall washing your hair in sections?

HealthyHair2020

Are you using the right shampoo? Generally, for me, after a pre-poo, shampooing is a breeze.

It gets tangled if the sections are twisted up while I shampooing my hair with a cleansing shampoo. When it's not twisted up it's fine.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Pre pooing is not necessary for everyone but it's necessary for me. I've found that pre pooing with protein rich or bond repairing treatments work well for me. Since I've switched to salon quality shampoos, I no longer have to wash in sections.

I never pre poo if I'm going to clarify or color my hair.

KenyafromCT

At some point I’d like to add chebe powdwr to my routine. Which brand do you use? Has it helped your hair in a meaningful way? I’ve read that it has to be kept on for long periods of time. How long do you keep yours on for?? Thanks.

awhyley

At some point I’d like to add chebe powdwr to my routine. Which brand do you use? Has it helped your hair in a meaningful way? I’ve read that it has to be kept on for long periods of time. How long do you keep yours on for?? Thanks.

I use Neges Banda Chebe pre-poo treatment, but I only keep it on for like an hour or two before washes. If definitely helps in that my hair is already moisturized and I'm not washing "cold". My hair is growing at a fairly decent rate but I'll know how things are going after my next trim. My hair's breaking and I'm sure it's because I'm overdue for a trim.

KenyafromCT

I use Neges Banda Chebe pre-poo treatment, but I only keep it on for like an hour or two before washes. If definitely helps in that my hair is already moisturized and I'm not washing "cold". My hair is growing at a fairly decent rate but I'll know how things are going after my next trim. My hair's breaking and I'm sure it's because I'm overdue for a trim.
Ok. Nice. Keep us updated.

KenyafromCT

Ugh! Her website. The pop up ads. That’s unique… and annoying. Lolol.

ckisland

Is pre-pooing necessary?
Nope!!! :laugh:
I think that the shampoo game has completely changed! I think that there are too many good shampoos (or cleansers) out in these streets to still be having dry, tangled hair after cleansing. Also if the point of cleansing is to get your hair clean, pre-pooing is almost like making your hair more dirty to get it clean :spinning:

GettingKinky

Is pre-pooing necessary?
Nope!!! :laugh:
I think that the shampoo game has completely changed! I think that there are too many good shampoos (or cleansers) out in these streets to still be having dry, tangled hair after cleansing. Also if the point of cleansing is to get your hair clean, pre-pooing is almost like making your hair more dirty to get it clean :spinning:
I completely agree.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
It's not for me. However, I find wash day much quicker if I remove shed hair before stepping in the shower. I am having better luck these days with sulfate shampooing each wash day vs. using conditioner and/or sulfate free cleansers.