Is Pre-pooing under sew-in weave necessary?

pink gator

First of all, I'm so happy to be part of the board! I love reading all of your posts!:grin:

I just got a sew-in last week and I'm dying to wash it tonight cuz it's itching like crazy and I feel "dirty" (I'm used to 2x weekly co-washes). I mixed some Joico Silk Result conditioner and Castor oil in a coloring bottle and attempted to pre-poo the cornrows but wondered if it was necessary.

Should I just pre-poo my leave-out hair and shampoo/DC/apply a leave-in the cornrowed hair?

I'm having flashbacks because I lost healthy, natural, post-dredloc SL hair due to poor weave care this summer and I want to do things right so I can have BSL this time next year.

BTW: I got my BT in the mail today! I can grow in my bald spots now! Yay!

Last edited:

MamaBraidedIt

First of all, I'm so happy to be part of the board! I love reading all of your posts!:grin:

I just got a sew-in last week and I'm dying to wash it tonight cuz it's itching like crazy and I feel "dirty" (I'm used to 2x weekly co-washes). I mixed some Joico Silk Result conditioner and Castor oil in a coloring bottle and attempted to pre-poo the cornrows but wondered if it was necessary.

Should I just pre-poo my leave-out hair and shampoo/DC/apply a leave-in the cornrowed hair?

I'm having flashbacks because I lost healthy, natural, post-dredloc SL hair due to poor weave care this summer and I want to do things right so I can have BSL this time next year.

BTW: I got my BT in the mail today! I can grow in my bald spots now! Yay!
What is the purpose of pre-poo'ing anyway?

I've been wearing a sew-in for the past 5, 6 months...I'll say no, don't pre-poo the cornrowed hair, especially if you're going to DC the cornrows. The more washing I do to my sew-in the looser it becomes...and the more tightening I have to do later--which is a pain.:spinning:

washing, dc'ing and a leave in is enough for the braided hair.

glamazon386

Personally, I don't think prepooing at any time is neccessary. But I wouldn't even bother with the sew in. That's too many unnecessary products and you don't want to get build up. Just DC after you wash.

pink gator

Well, I started pre-pooing after joining the board so I can better protect my hair to keep it from being stripped.

I had a huge "AHA-why-am-I-doing-more-to-waste-time" moment halfway through the pre poo process! LOL! I sure don't want any buildup--especially after my stylist braided synthetic hair into the cornrows! (yeah, she did it...she ain't doing my next install, but she's hella good with the Affirm and styling, though!)

glamazon386

Well, I started pre-pooing after joining the board so I can better protect my hair to keep it from being stripped.

I had a huge "AHA-why-am-I-doing-more-to-waste-time" moment halfway through the pre poo process! LOL! I sure don't want any buildup--especially after my stylist braided synthetic hair into the cornrows! (yeah, she did it...she ain't doing my next install, but she's hella good with the Affirm and styling, though!)

The synthetic hair in your braids is a good thing, hun. It keeps your braids and the weave style itself intact longer. Without it, they might start to unravel with washing. Then your weave will fall apart.

pink gator

The synthetic hair in your braids is a good thing, hun. It keeps your braids and the weave style itself intact longer. Without it, they might start to unravel with washing. Then your weave will fall apart.

Ohhh...I thought it was kinda unnatural...hmm...my bad. But she still ain't doing my next install! (She BONDED a couple rows in the front and one in the back. That freaked me out because I have traction spots in that spot--the first weaveologist made my braids TOO tight!--I'm trying to grow out.)

tinkat

Yeah my stylist does this with my hair, its a smart thing to do.

esoterica

It's a bad idea. The buildup will cause problems when you're removing the weave. A gentle shampoo is best if it's itching.