Is some breakage inevitable?

ironically it's the black part of my hair that breaks off (in the front) =( the back is never breaking off, it's actually the longest part of my hair and grows the fastest!

Do you think that pulling it back constantly for a year (puff) could have put stress on the hairline??:ohwell:
Possibly. I pull my hair back A LOT so i can't give you too much advise there. The bad part is that when i pull my hair back i pull it back TIGHT. I know it's bad too.

I have extremely dense hair, coarse in some places and fine in others, and ranging from 3c to 4b. I get breakage whenever I comb my hair, no matter what, and it's always been that way. I deal with it by not combing it too often and instead wearing braids, twists and cornrows 90% of the time.

The only time I don't get inevitable breakage is when my hair is straightened, but straight hair is not a regular option for me because I exercise too much and I sweat it out.

Possibly. I pull my hair back A LOT so i can't give you too much advise there. The bad part is that when i pull my hair back i pull it back TIGHT. I know it's bad too.

hmmm, well I am doing a challenege to not do that anymore... sooo i will update and let you know if it helps me this month! can i add you? i have 3 friends on here so far (i'm pretty new! )

Welcome and thanks for posting this thread. I know breakage had been my bane for months, but my hair is still growing and pretty thick, so I discovered that I shed about 20 hairs a day and suffer 10-30 breaks. For me I think it's normal for what I've experienced and the growth I've gained. Remember, everyone's shedding and breakage experiences are as unique as each one's hair strands. Watch your patterns, measure your progress and continue your HHP (healthy hair practices).:yep:

Yes, I think it is. No matter how much you protect your hair, some breakage will happen in the regular comings and goings of life cuz nothing lasts forever! Happens to everybody methinks. That's just life. However your goal is to minimize breakage, esp that which is caused by "user error" on your part. A little common sense, patience, a lighter hand, and more knowledge/acceptance of your texture and what it does all helps to minimize breakge, but some will occur just like no matter how careful you are w/ you nails, eventually (at least) one will break.

Shrug :) Ya win some, ya lose some....but breaking even or better yet coming out ahead is the goal! :)

yes some breakage is normal. what we are trying to do is to mitigate the amount of breakage that we experience by dc-ing, hiding and protective styles etc etc. If i have 5 hairs in my comb that doesnt worry me at all.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :yep: Breakage is a totally normal part of the hair growth experience. It's when it becomes excessive that one should be alarmed. I firmly believe that most of the women on this forum who have adopted healthy hair processes do not suffer as much breakage as women who do not, but we seem to be the ones to overreact to it. :ohwell:

thank you for the response!!! I swear I felt like I would never reach apl because of this.how long is your hair just curious.?

Welcome and thanks for posting this thread. I know breakage had been my bane for months, but my hair is still growing and pretty thick, so I discovered that I shed about 20 hairs a day and suffer 10-30 breaks. For me I think it's normal for what I've experienced and the growth I've gained. Remember, everyone's shedding and breakage experiences are as unique as each one's hair strands. Watch your patterns, measure your progress and continue your HHP (healthy hair practices).:yep:

I couldn't have said it better myself. :yep: Breakage is a totally normal part of the hair growth experience. It's when it becomes excessive that one should be alarmed. I firmly believe that most of the women on this forum who have adopted healthy hair processes do not suffer as much breakage as women who do not, but we seem to be the ones to overreact to it. :ohwell:

The FEAR about breakage and shedding is just going to the other extreme. Many people have this fear cuz there's always someone w/ a "HELP!!!! my hair is melting" thread. That keeps people really on edge (if you'll pardon my pun ;) ) That's why I come up on threads like this whenever I see them. Nobody should be afraid and stressing over normal human body functions.

I know we want healthy long hair, but this fear is quite unhealthy IMHO and part of it is because people constantly spread falsehoods about the matter. JMHO of course.

The FEAR about breakage and shedding is just going to the other extreme. Many people have this fear cuz there's always someone w/ a "HELP!!!! my hair is melting" thread. That keeps people really on edge (if you'll pardon my pun ;) ) That's why I come up on threads like this whenever I see them. Nobody should be afraid and stressing over normal human body functions.

I know we want healthy long hair, but this fear is quite unhealthy IMHO and part of it is because people constantly spread falsehoods about the matter. JMHO of course.
I totally agree with your whole post.:yep:

Especially about the spreading falsehoods. I don't think they mean any real harm but their freaking people out. I can remember this one thread where people were saying they lost like 4 or 5 hairs in the shower right.....well later someone did like a spinoff about those drain hair catchers and how much hair actually goes down the drain. I was sitting there thinking.....i bet these people loosing 5 hairs don't even have drain catchers and they really don't realize how much shed hair and breakage goes down that drain.

Another time i wrote about how I don't shampoo frequently because I get the most breakage when I shampoo. Well of course there were those that couldn't relate because they don't ever get breakage:look:. Well alrighty then!

I totally agree with your whole post.:yep:

Especially about the spreading falsehoods. I don't think they mean any real harm but their freaking people out. I can remember this one thread where people were saying they lost like 4 or 5 hairs in the shower right.....well later someone did like a spinoff about those drain hair catchers and how much hair actually goes down the drain. I was sitting there thinking.....i bet these people loosing 5 hairs don't even have drain catchers and they really don't realize how much shed hair and breakage goes down that drain.

Another time i wrote about how I don't shampoo frequently because I get the most breakage when I shampoo. Well of course there were those that couldn't relate because they don't ever get breakage:look:. Well alrighty then!

I agree!! I don't think I should worry so much anymore!

Yes, I do. You can minimise it but you can't completely outsmart natural wear and tear, damage from the elements, stress from styling etc.

I agree, I just get afraid to see any pieces. I want to see 5 pieces and no more. I'm working on it. I'm going to do a lot of bunning this year.

lol i think i only get one piece of hair in the sink IF THAT! and im texlaxed and bleached, now you knowww thats a recipe for breakage:lachen: , so i thank the lordddd.

lol i think i only get one piece of hair in the sink IF THAT! and im texlaxed and bleached, now you knowww thats a recipe for breakage:lachen: , so i thank the lordddd.
you're freakin lucky! obviously you have your protein/moisture balance to the T! I think it's that combo you use! It's perfectly balanced! I'm going to start co-washing again when this weather stops actin so silly.

As pointed out before breakage is all par the course and will happen. Its like shedding skin or breaking a weak nail. :perplexed The key therefore to minimize this shedding is moisture as previously pointed out.

Also I suspect that you are probably experiencing more shedding now because of the cold and bitterly dry winter weather. I have had to up my steaming to two times a week bc of this. My hair is like the Sahara. :lol:

Back