Is the steam feature on the Maxiglide damaging?

Sunshine0801

Does anyone know? I'm planning on using my Maxiglide for the first time soon, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to use the steam feature.

If you do use the steam feature, is it necessary to swipe twice as directed (once on the bottom half of the hair with steam, and a quick swipe on the entire length of the hair without steam)? Does anyone swipe once and slow down and use the steam on the bottom half?

Thanks ladies. :)

zzirvingj

I don't think it's damaging. I've used the steam function before without any problems.

If you use the steam function, don't use it too close to your scalp, cuz it can get HOTTT.

Also, I don't see a reason why you would need to swipe more than one time. Once outta do it :yep:

Sunshine0801

I don't think it's damaging. I've used the steam function before without any problems.

If you use the steam function, don't use it too close to your scalp, cuz it can get HOTTT.

Also, I don't see a reason why you would need to swipe more than one time. Once outta do it :yep:

Thanks. Do you just use it toward the ends or do you use steam halfway through the length of your hair?

Also, what heat setting do you use your Maxiglide on? I'm thinking of starting on setting 1, but I wonder if that will do anything for my 4 a/b hair.

zzirvingj

Thanks. Do you just use it toward the ends or do you use steam halfway through the length of your hair?

Also, what heat setting do you use your Maxiglide on? I'm thinking of starting on setting 1, but I wonder if that will do anything for my 4 a/b hair.

I will let others chime in on what setting to put it on because I rarely use flat irons...as a matter of fact I just sold my Maxiglide and bought an FHI (so I may start to use heat more often). Plus, I am known for starting out at a temp higher than I probably should (I know, I need to practice what I preach and start with a lower temp, then work my way up...)

Anywho, the setting you put it on will depend on how straight you want your hair, and how much heat your hair takes in order to get that straight. If it is blow-dryed (is that a word? lol) first, maybe you don't need much to get it straight. Perhaps you could start on setting 3 and increase it by one or 2 if it isn't hot enough...?

When using the steam function, I will press the steam button once I'm about 2 inches away from my scalp. You can burn your scalp if you press it right at the scalp (ask me how I know that lol :lachen::blush: :look:)

ladybug71

Ditto zzirvingj. I made the mistake of using it too close to my scalp and ouch! That steam is very hot. :burn: I normally set my maxiglide between 4 and 5 (I've never set it higher than 5) and it comes out really straight. I now mainly use the steam towards the ends. But depending upon how bad my hair looks beforehand, I will steam in the middle every now and then.

GL! I love the maxiglide.

zzirvingj

One other thing...remember to keep your Maxiglide moving along the shaft of your hair as you use the steam. Last thing you want to do is keep the steam on one spot and scorch the heck outta your hair :nono:

Just like how, with the old school pressing combs, you have to glide it through the hair...cuz if you keep it in one spot you would literally be burning your hair. Don't wanna do that :nono:

Sunshine0801

I will let others chime in on what setting to put it on because I rarely use flat irons...as a matter of fact I just sold my Maxiglide and bought an FHI (so I may start to use heat more often). Plus, I am known for starting out at a temp higher than I probably should (I know, I need to practice what I preach and start with a lower temp, then work my way up...)

What didn't you like about the Maxiglide?

zzirvingj

What didn't you like about the Maxiglide?

Well, first, lemme say that there are alot of people who use and love the Maxiglide...it just wasn't for me. I had an issue with the smell of my hair when using the Maxiglide. It wasn't a strong smell, but I could smell it, nonetheless.

I also feel like my hair reverted quickly no matter how high the heat was set when using my Maxiglide. I found that it was difficult for me to get my roots straight enough, and lastly, it was a lil too bulky for me. I'm uncoordinated so the bulkiness added to my uncoordination issues...especially when using the plate with the teeth. You should watch the DVD that shows you how to use the plate with the teeth...this is important because you are not supposed to press down really tight when using that plate...but no matter how much I tried to be gentle with it, I seemed to always end up snagging my hair on it, so I stopped using the plate with the teeth.

The stylists at the salon I had been going to use FHI, so I had my eye on one for a MINUTE. So I guess I was kinda lusting for my FHI while I was with my Maxiglide...so perhaps I was never able to truly give all of my heart to my Maxiglide knowing that I really wanted to have another flat iron....lol :lachen: