Is there a 'BEST' flat iron for natural hair?

yodie

I'm using a Sedu and my hair just swells right back up. Hate it! My hair generally laughs at plug in appliances, but I know there has to be a flat iron that can straighten my hair. Suggestions?

I wash, blowdry, press and still get puffiness after I flat iron.

I was thinking of maxiglide. Any naturals love theirs? Any naturals swear by Joico's new steam iron?

MiWay

I'm not fully natural and I'm still a flatironing newbie, but I love my generic Chi from Sally's. I wash, blowdry and flatiron and can get my hair bone straight with no reversion for at least a week, sometimes longer, if I wrap it daily. My hair isn't thick/coarse, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Kay.Dee

Seems like a lot of naturals love the maxiglide. I plan on buying one when my hair is worth flat ironing. I think the steam helps with naturals who are prone to dryness.

When I first went natural I used the genric chi but my hair looked quite dusty but that was probably my fault or more attributed to my hair texture.

westNDNbeauty

Technique and the hair's condition plays a HUGE role, but if I were to name a flat iron, it would be one that is ceramic and has a TEMPERATURE GAUGE <----very important. Chi's don't have true temperature gauges.

longhairlover

Personally...I don't think there is a "BEST" flat iron for naturals.
It's all in the technique.

what she said ^ I believe it's the technique, but also what styling products you use, stay away from products that are glycerin based because as soon as you hit the heat or humidity poof city they draw in moisture, not natural but my hair acts like it is and summer is not my friend or any humid kind of weather.

sabino moisture block seems to be everyones friend, I use Rusk Str8 styling lotion not water based and my hair stays sleek/straight (lots of newgrowth), still haven't tested it in real heat or humidity but in the rain I haven't had any issues thus far.......................

BlkOnyx488

I swear by maxiglide with the teeth plates.
I do small section, detangle each section steam the ends then slide it slowly down the shaft.
2 passes max!

virtuenow

So far CHI has been the best for me (using comb-chase method)- and I'm a very tight 4b. You press the plates tighter together depending on how much heat distribution u want. I would stay far away from Maxiglide (although many recommend)- it did nothing for me-- other than provide alot of suspect fumes/heat/smoke/& pulled out hair.

sqzbly1908

I would have to agree..it is mainly technique...my DD is natural (her hair is very similar to WNDNBeauty..just a little looser....after conditioning her hair I use a little bit of Redken Heat Glide and Bain Satin, blowdry her hair in sections and then use the comb chase method...

Tinkerbell19

i havent tried the others but i do have a generic chi from sallys (gvp)and i LOVE it! i also use the chi straight guard and serum and i think this plays a major role in my getting straight silky hair:grin:

yodie

Thanks for the great advice ladies. I definitely want to check out the generic chi from Sally's and the maxiglide. Those serums sound great too.

Thanks again

~NanCeBoTwin~

Personally...I don't think there is a "BEST" flat iron for naturals.
It's all in the technique.

I agree. After posting in the children's forum about my DD's first flat iron on her natural hair, I received a few questions about the flat iron the stylist used. I know this stylist personally, so I knew she'd tell me. Her response was, "Girl, I don't even remember where I bought it let alone what the brand is. Just tell the ladies on your website that it's about the technique not the flat iron."

what she said ^ I believe it's the technique, but also what styling products you use, stay away from products that are glycerin based because as soon as you hit the heat or humidity poof city they draw in moisture, not natural but my hair acts like it is and summer is not my friend or any humid kind of weather.

I was just talking about this tonight with a friend. I'm not natural, but give me some Glycerin + the NC Humidity and I turn into the cowardly lion from the Wizard of Oz....

Last edited:

Nayna

Unbothered

sabino moisture block seems to be everyones friend, I use Rusk Str8 styling lotion not water based and my hair stays sleek/straight (lots of newgrowth), still haven't tested it in real heat or humidity but in the rain I haven't had any issues thus far.......................

This is sooooo true and took me a while to realize it. I'm thinking my hair is moisturized so it's good to go. I wasn't putting 2 and 2 together. Once I adjusted it was smooth sailing.

Another good point is that no matter what make sure your hair is very moisturized before flatironing so that it isn't extracting it from the air.

winnettag

So far CHI has been the best for me (using comb-chase method)- and I'm a very tight 4b. You press the plates tighter together depending on how much heat distribution u want. I would stay far away from Maxiglide (although many recommend)- it did nothing for me-- other than provide alot of suspect fumes/heat/smoke/& pulled out hair.

This was my experince as well :sad: I really wanted to love it. It gave me the burnt hair smell and I only used it on level 5 (for those who don't know, it goes up to 10)
And it's hard to clean between all those teeth.
I've got my eye on the Joico steam iron now.