IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE MINI TWISTS MORE ADULT?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am at my wits end. I feel like mini twists make me look juvenile. Is there a way to make twists look more adult? I hope this makes sense. :rolleyes: 2 strand twists are the only natural style I can do other than wash n go.:sad: I'm trying all I can to not give up being natural. I am also researching natural roller sets. My 2nd attempt took me 4 hours and it didn't work. I am looking for styling ideas. I saw a TWA style thread, which was nice. I need to spice up my look so I can enjoy my hair again.:yep:

PPGbubbles

I roller set the ends of my twists and accessorize to make them look more adult.
I attached some pics of the twist out that resulted from mini twist a few months back... sorry didnt take pics of the twists

I actually have some mini twist in now pulled back into a low bun :yep:

but I have a link to that youtuber that gave me the idea!
rod set with tiny twist - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAVgcRx6xac&playnext_from=TL&videos=--2Zo4hdHRQ

I just didnt roll as tight as she did to show a little more length

HTH!

Attachments

• DSCF2528.jpg
    DSCF2528.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF2526.jpg
    DSCF2526.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF2530.jpg
    DSCF2530.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 71

Alta Angel

I am style challenged, but could you try a flat twist updo with a twist out on the side? If you go to the Curly Nikki site, there is a flat twist updo tutorial that may work for your hair. Unfortunately I don't know how to flat twist, so I can't assist you there.

If you can't flat twist can you do a simple french roll with the twists?

DDTexlaxed

I am style challenged, but could you try a flat twist updo with a twist out on the side? If you go to the Curly Nikki site, there is a flat twist updo tutorial that may work for your hair. Unfortunately I don't know how to flat twist, so I can't assist you there.

If you can't flat twist can you do a simple french roll with the twists?

I have a TWA, so the french roll style is a no go.:lachen: Thanks for the ideas.:yep: I will be able to spend more time on You Tube tomorrow when my head is more clear.:rolleyes:

jshor09

I know its hard having a twa and styles are limited. I usually would just rock it or put a head band with it. Also you can rock some braids with hair added if that is an option for you. Before you know it you will have a decent amount of growth and be able to rock more styles. I am still trying to master twists and twistouts and i have been natural for 2 yrs now.

~~HoneyComb~~

Have you tried fingercurls? It's what I wore when my hair was shorter. It would take me less than and hour to do my entire head and the style would last a week:

Nonie

I don't know if you will care for this style or will find it looking like tarantulas like my hubby. :lachen: He hated it so much while I thought (and still think) the style is HAWT! :grin:

I created the style by putting rollers in when my hair was wet and looking like this:
My hair wasn't long but when the hair was wet it was easy to stretch and work with.

I let it dry in the rollers as a trial do and loved the outcome. So did many people that saw me that day. Hubby was the only one who made funny gestures with his fingers and said it looked like I had taratulas on my head. :rofl:

I usually style my mini-twists (or are mine micro?) and I don't think they look juvenile. Not even my tarantula do :lol: A couple more:

Last edited:

Nubenap22

Heyyyy wheres the pics we wanna....or maybe I wanna see some...I dont think I've seen any since your bc besides your siggy

Ms Lala

When my hair was short I would blow dry it before twisting and then set it on small rollers. It gave it a bouncy look. I didn't take pics really when my hair was short so I don't have any. I also used to do comb coils and take them loose for a pretty curly fro. I also used to rollerset my short hair for a straighter look. I can't do it at the length I am now, it was really cute and when it would start to puff up I just put a headband on the front. I posted some pics below of some other styles that look cute and easy to do.

Also have you tried finding a natural stylist to help you w/your hair? That may be helpful while you are still getting used to it.

Attachments

• shortnatural.jpg
    shortnatural.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 30
  • shortnatural2.jpg
    shortnatural2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 33

Iluvsmuhgrass

I'm sort of in the same boat. I never wear twists out because they never sit the way they're supposed to (my lack of skills lol)

BUT

I have blown my hair dry and rocked a fro, then moisturized it and twisted. I rocked all sorts of pretty scarves and then I did a twist out. The texture was unreal and really pretty.

A few of my fall back styles are always little scarves, head/hair bands, and different sorts of hair candy. When I do a blow out, the fro is bit bigger but when I air dry the shrinkage is unreal. I can do flat twists but I prefer a fro (shrunken or not) with some nice hair candy.

Determined22

I pin my twists up & use hair accessories to make them more adult.

When I was real frustrated with my TWA, I just braided it up for a few months in either individuals or kinky twists. Could you do something like that?

loonggood

The hair is blow-dried smooth with ends flicked out .
Take a small section of hair and twist at the root, then mist with hairspray.
Secure with a hair slide.
Repeat all over the head then make the ends sleek using smoothing gel.

Time: 5 minutes Easy/Difficulty: easy Hair type: short/ mid length, fine to medium textured
You will Need: hairspray, selection of hair slides, smoothing gel

Mook's hair

Mini twists look very adult when you do a bantu-knot set.

Moisten the hair, do about 6 -8 bantu knots let it dry and then unravel in the morning..

DDTex, you are on punishment anyway because you still haven't learned to cornrow yet, I've been on you about this for a while and still nothing! You're on grown-folk time-out!

Ms Lala

Moisten the hair, do about 6 -8 bantu knots let it dry and then unravel in the morning..

DDTex, you are on punishment anyway because you still haven't learned to cornrow yet, I've been on you about this for a while and still nothing! You're on grown-folk time-out!

I don't mean to butt into the convo but I really need to learn to cornrow. Are you offering lessons?

yods

awww you sound down, hope you aren't getting too frustrated. I agree with pinning the twists up like this lady (see third, fourth and fifth pics)
http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/10/twa-stylings-of-mallorie.html
It was the way I wore my hair some of the winter during the week.

Do you not like twistouts? I had heard that twist/braid outs are a semi protective style especially on a twa as its not rubbing on anything.

DDTexlaxed

DDTex, you are on punishment anyway because you still haven't learned to cornrow yet, I've been on you about this for a while and still nothing! You're on grown-folk time-out![/

:blush::blush::blush: Wow, blasted in my own thread!:lachen:I'm still trying to learn. I just can't figure out finger placement. I am not giving up, though. I'm still trying to make it work. My hair is ruined since my baking soda experiment.:rolleyes: Won't be doing that, again.:nono: