Is there anyone that DOES NOT use hardcore protein treatments?

HoneyDew

I ask because I never did that until recommendations from the board. Although, I think I needed to at one point, I just don’t see the need to use products like the Aphogee treatment or Emergencee regularly, but I am worried that I may not be getting enough protein. Everytime someone mentions breakage, so many people suggest doing protein treatment.

Do you guys think mild treatments with protein conditioners are sufficient to support relaxed hair’s protein needs?

I shampoo and condition my hair twice a week. Once a week I do several conditioner rinses using a conditioner that contains Hydrolyzed Human Hair keratin for 5 min. and a moisturizing one with NO protein for about 3 min.

Then once a week I sit under the dryer for about 20 min with a cocktail of something like ORS Mayo, ORS Replenishing Pak, and 10en1 – it really depends on my mood. Then most times I have to do a quick rinse with Lutrasilk’s Shea Butter stuff for slip. (yummy).

Can that be enough? Are any of you not using any of those hardening ones?

MizaniMami

I don't usually say what I think people need, but for me I think protein treatments are essential.

I used to heat style weekly and I'm relaxed. Moisture alone isn't going to protect me. I think if you don't heat style often then you could get away with a hardcore protein every now and again. But one, I am relaxed, and two, I heat style, that is a double whammy!

We all know relaxing and heat styling breaks down the protein bonds on our hair, why wouldn't I want to replenish it?

Divine Inspiration

I don't. I was having a major breakage spell last year, and I was directed to the hardcore protein as well. I did ApHOGEE although I prefer Emergencee. It worked great the first time...the second time was a disaster.

I've never understood the need for regular heavy protein with the exception of a fresh relaxer or color-treated hair.

It's been over 6 months since I've had a hardcore protein treatment, and my hair is doing fine. From MY experience, doing mild protein treatments on a schedule or as needed will keep breakage in check as opposed to waiting until there's breakage to do a mega protein treatment. I prefer to prevent issues rather than treat them. Plus, I think there are people following the pack, and then having hard hair/additional breakage issues due to protein overload.

I shampoo and deep condition every week...I alternate doing moisturizing DCs and a DC with Keraphix (or GPB) and something moisturizing (used to be Humectress, now it's ORS Replenishing Paks) mixed with an oil (EVOO, Aceite 3, castor). This type of DC has worked wonders on my hair because my hair rinses feeling strong but moisturized.

I don't see a real need for regular heavy protein in my regimen so I cut it out, and my hair has been much softer, and I haven't been dealing with breakage issues. :)

{DI}

MissFallon

I used to use them every week (Motions CPR or ORS Mayo) but after i cut my hair i stopped using them every week. I have not used one since December and my hair ist still in great health. I think they didnt really do much for my hair, good or bad. I also think it depends on your hair.

loonatick

when i first started my haircare journey, i did use Aphogee and it worked well for me for several months and got my hair into the shape i wanted.
Then i switched to something milder, Motions Protein reconstructor (CPR) and this seems to be giving me the protein i need. I occasionally use ORS mayonnaise, which is mild (i think)

Only if i have major breakage/shedding will i reach for the Aphogee again

miracle

I've never used a hardcore protein. My hair has to have a conditioner that balances protein & moisture (Lamaur Bone Marrow Treatment, Silicon Mix, etc.)

Sistaslick

Divine Inspiration said:
I've never understood the need for regular heavy protein with the exception of a fresh relaxer or color-treated hair.

It's been over 6 months since I've had a hardcore protein treatment, and my hair is doing fine. From MY experience, doing mild protein treatments on a schedule or as needed will keep breakage in check as opposed to waiting until there's breakage to do a mega protein treatment. I prefer to prevent issues rather than treat them. Plus, I think there are people following the pack, and then having hard hair/additional breakage issues due to protein overload.

{DI}

ITA :yep: I haven’t really had the need for heavier scheduled proteins in my regimen either.

In a healthy regimen where you are diagnosing and constantly addressing your hair needs as they arise, the need for a heavy treatment is often minimal. (Except , like you mentioned Divine, for special cases like chemical treatments, etc.) Aphogee indicates that you should use its hard core protein treatment every 4-6 weeks (I'm guess attempting to coincide with what they believe are normal chemical service schedules :ohwell: ), but I know for me and for any one else who is able to successfully maintain and manipulate their protein balance with milder protein sources—this schedule would be entirely too much protein at once. And particularly for me, since I only relax every 14-16 weeks. I guess this is yet another instance where listening to YOUR hair and what it tells you is monumental. In my opinion, strict scheduling (of protein especially) does much more harm than good because you are really not learning your hair.

HoneyDew

Thanks for the responses ladies.

I am glad to hear how you guys feel about this.

Since I cut out those products like the Aphogee treatment and Emergencee, things just seem much better.

Miss Fallon, I have never used Motions CPR but ORS Mayo just never seems like a hardcore protein to me. Maybe I'm wrong.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I used a light one once, but past that I haven't used protein at all, ever. I haven't had any issues.

ayoung

I agree w/ some of the others. I haven't used a hardcore treatment--just my reconstructor. I just evaluate and try and see what my hair needs and go from there.

HoneyDew

nubianqt86 said:
I used a light one once, but past that I haven't used protein at all, ever. I haven't had any issues.

Lucky! - I don't think I can ever go protein free all together. With my flatiron and relaxing, I know my hair needs it. I just don't see the need to use those intensive products that dry my hair out. But, the conditioners I enjoy to use the most are my no-protein ones and I would love to be able to only use those.

Arcadian

in the past 2 years I've used Emergencee once. I do use keraphix on a weekly basis though. My hair seems to be quite happy with that schedule.

I use my DC to mix all my stuff together (the ORS pak, oils, keraphix, low ph conditioner) because in my case, my hair dosen't care if I pile it all together or use it separately (but mixing together definitly saves time)

So in my case, hardcore protiens aren't necessary, as long as i get some from somewhere my hair handles just fine. My biggest problem is with oils (totally another thread for another day though)

-A

Angelicus

i dont use hardcore protein treatments. i guess the strongest thing i use is mayonnaise but there is more oil than egg.

Ambitious1013

I tried a hard core protein once and my hair didn't respond to it very well. I thought it would be good for my hair especially being relaxed and color treated.
Since starting my healthy haircare journey, I didn't have any breakage. After using Emergencee, my hair was breaking in little pieces. :( My hair responds better to Aubrey GPB.

My question is do I need a hard core protein in my regimen since I am relaxed and color treated?

miracle

Ambitious1013 said:
I tried a hard core protein once and my hair didn't respond to it very well. I thought it would be good for my hair especially being relaxed and color treated.
Since starting my healthy haircare journey, I didn't have any breakage. After using Emergencee, my hair was breaking in little pieces. :( My hair responds better to Aubrey GPB.

My question is do I need a hard core protein in my regimen since I am relaxed and color treated?

I'm relaxed & color treated (Bigen), and I haven't had to use hard core protein conditioners. I think the "hardest" thing I ever used was Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum. And I think that's considered "mild" to "moderate" by some members. If you haven't noticed any excess shedding or breakage, I'd just stick with the Aubrey GPB. I go by the "If it ain't broke...." rule. :grin: :grin:

filthyfresh

I have yet to use any protein beyond ORS OORP. However I do think that my hair needs some Keraphix. And if that doesn't work, then I may have to go ahead do Aphogee which I am scared to do.

beana

HoneyDew said:
I ask because I never did that until recommendations from the board. Although, I think I needed to at one point, I just don’t see the need to use products like the Aphogee treatment or Emergencee regularly, but I am worried that I may not be getting enough protein. Everytime someone mentions breakage, so many people suggest doing protein treatment.

Do you guys think mild treatments with protein conditioners are sufficient to support relaxed hair’s protein needs?

I shampoo and condition my hair twice a week. Once a week I do several conditioner rinses using a conditioner that contains Hydrolyzed Human Hair keratin for 5 min. and a moisturizing one with NO protein for about 3 min.

Then once a week I sit under the dryer for about 20 min with a cocktail of something like ORS Mayo, ORS Replenishing Pak, and 10en1 – it really depends on my mood. Then most times I have to do a quick rinse with Lutrasilk’s Shea Butter stuff for slip. (yummy).

Can that be enough? Are any of you not using any of those hardening ones?

One of the hardest lessons i've learned here is to stick to what works for you. You sound like you're getting great reults from your current routine. Now that you know what cures/treats what... you can always edit your routine a bit to address whatever problem you're having.

I have fine hair, so I find that i need more protein than the average person, i do aphogee every 4-6 weeks and gpb or a reconstructor almost every wash. I rarely do deep moisture treatments and my hair is doing great.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I never use hardcore ones, they scare me. I'm using Motions CPR right now and I used to use Ion Rebuilder and Lekair Cholesterol. I would consider all those medium protein. Keep in mind that you don't want to over do it w/ protein because it could cause more breakage. Always follow it up w/ a moisturizing conditioner.

Allandra

I don't use hardcore proteins (never have, never will). I will continue to stick with Aubrey Organics GPB.

Hair Peace

I've been on a strictly moisture routine for a while and I'm glad it's working. I haven't had to do a protein treatment in months. I had some by accident last week and my hair started breaking. Had to fix it with NTM and Nacidit. Now I just need to flatiron my roots.

Ambitious1013

miracle said:
I'm relaxed & color treated (Bigen), and I haven't had to use hard core protein conditioners. I think the "hardest" thing I ever used was Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum. And I think that's considered "mild" to "moderate" by some members. If you haven't noticed any excess shedding or breakage, I'd just stick with the Aubrey GPB. I go by the "If it ain't broke...." rule. :grin: :grin:

Thanks Miracle!! This information helps!! :)

Candy_C

ME....Dont like em...dont need em! :lol:

i agree with sistaslick when she says listen to ya hair. If i get ANY breakage i just conditioner wash with MNT original then use it as a leave in too. Voila, no breakage!

neonbright

At this time I just use ORS replenishing pak, good for me. I only used hard core when I had serious serious damage, I used hardcore and that was right before I got married 7 years ago.

pyxis777

ORS Replenishing Pak is the best for me. It smells nice too!

I have never had an Aphogee treatment, and I don't think I ever will! Even Keraphix can be too much for my hair if it's left on too long. My hair tends to be dry (fine 4b, and I use no-lye relaxer), so moisture is key for me with a light protien b/c I'm relaxed, and I'm still overcoming past heat damage.

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
I bought a single-use pack of Lamaur Bone Marrow, but I'm worried about one of the ingredients. I know that there are different types of alcohols (drying, "conditioning", etc.), but why does this product have isopropyl alcohol? That's the drying alcohol..... :eek:

miracle said:
I've never used a hardcore protein. My hair has to have a conditioner that balances protein & moisture (Lamaur Bone Marrow Treatment, Silicon Mix, etc.)