Is there such a thing as PROTEIN SENSITIVE RELAXED HAIR?

Can relaxed hair be protein sensitive?

• Yes, my hair hates protein.

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • No, my hair absolutely needs protein.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Possibly, my hair barely needs any protein.

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • Good question, I'm struggling with this too.

Votes: 19 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KrystalClear

Okay, I've been on a roll asking questions because I recently applied a relaxer (more like loosening curls as you can see this picture lol) and I'm AFRAID as crap of losing length. When I was natural I did NOT use protein. MY strands are so thick in their natural state... BUT, since i now have color AND relaxed hair, some of my strands are now fine :wallbash: and I don't know how to handle them! Before I was able to do whatever to my hair, now I have to figure out how to balance.

The back portion of my hair is very light, and I've noticed those strands feel very fine now compared to the darker hair.

(My hair looks weird and greasy in this picture because I was prepooing with oils)

My question is:

Is there such a thing as a protein sensitive relaxed hair lady?
What about 4a/4b coarse relax haired ladies, how often do you use protein?

I have Aphogee Keratin Green Tea right now and I spritz it liberally... is it okay to use daily to the color treated portion that seems more fragile? And should I use heat?

Or do I need something stronger? I have the Aphogee 2 minute treatment, but I'm so afraid of using it.

My hair is moisturized and soft now, but I really think I may be lacking the protein. I'm just afraid because before when I was natural I didn't need it... or maybe I thought i didn't. :ohwell: lol

Fhrizzball

Maybe you can try a strand test to see how your hair handles the protein or work with lighter ones i.e cholesterol and ORS and then work your way up. Also with colored hair more DC's seem to be vital I observed.

nymane

I'm a 4b/a with course relaxed hair and I use Aphogee every 6-8 weeks...my hair loves it.

KrystalClear

Thanks ladies. I'm so afraid of "protein overload" ... and if hair is color treated it still is in need of protein due to the loss of protein right? Doesn't coloring break down the strand still so the color can take in order to change the previous hair color? Or is that incorrect?

Esq.2B

I use protein WEEKLY. I NEVER use the Aphoghee 2 step. I notice you said you're afraid to use the 2 minute Aphoghee. No need to be afraid, it's light enough for weekly use. The 2 STEP is what you should be afraid of :lol:, not the 2 minute. I NEED protein. When I tried to go without it, my hair would be a mushy mess while wait and break easily. I think you should try a weekly light protein to see how your hair likes it, then adjust as needed. Or you should also try medium proteins every other week, then adjust as needed. Examples are Nexxus Emergencee, Joico K pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor, or Tigi Dumb Blonde Reconstructor. Always follow up protein with moisture. HTH

Barbie83

I use protein WEEKLY. I NEVER use the Aphoghee 2 step. I notice you said you're afraid to use the 2 minute Aphoghee. No need to be afraid, it's light enough for weekly use. The 2 STEP is what you should be afraid of :lol:, not the 2 minute. I NEED protein. When I tried to go without it, my hair would be a mushy mess while wait and break easily. I think you should try a weekly light protein to see how your hair likes it, then adjust as needed. Or you should also try medium proteins every other week, then adjust as needed. Examples are Nexxus Emergencee, Joico K pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor, or Tigi Dumb Blonde Reconstructor. Always follow up protein with moisture. HTH

I totally agree.....Aphogee 2-Minute is considered a light protein. I'm relaxed and I have no problems using it weekly. It doesn't even make your hair hard. I definitely think you should start using your Aphogee immediately, it can only help you :yep:, especially with you being double-processed. How often do you DC?

KrystalClear

Thank you! I was probably thinking about THAT one. I'll try the protein this weekend and see how that goes. Dun dun dun. lol

KrystalClear

I totally agree.....Aphogee 2-Minute is considered a light protein. I'm relaxed and I have no problems using it weekly. It doesn't even make your hair hard. I definitely think you should start using your Aphogee immediately, it can only help you :yep:, especially with you being double-processed. How often do you DC?

Well when I was natural I slacked off, lol. BUT I plan on it every Sunday due to a tight schedule. And co-wash every MWF when I do my work outs. Is that enough? And do you do the protein w/or w/o heat?

xcuzememiss

I agree I am double processed also. I am relaxed with highligths. The 2min reconstructor is my friend. When I was just using the Keracare Humecto (thicker formula) my hair felt too soft.. So I prepoo with the 2min and deep condish and my hair feels better. im experiencing breakage but i think its because i used a no-lye relaxer instead of Lye.

sharifeh

good question, I was convinced I was protein sensitive, and I'm relaxed, but then it occurred to me that I hadn't really experimented with protein enough to know that....

Sistaslick

ITA with this. I don't use the 2-step either anymore b/c I can't justify needin' the protein bad boy contains. :lol: Everyone is different, and depending on the degree of hair damage you have (and your hair's porosity) you may need more or less regular protein than other folks.

But yeah, double processed hair is definitely going to require a bit more protein conditioning than what you were used to as a natural. You've basically assaulted your hair cuticles in the worse possible way w/ the relaxer... and then the color which looks to be fairly light. Try phasing in some light protein products and see if you notice a difference. The 2 minute is a good option. Sometimes we get used to a certain soft feel and then when you give it that protein strength and structure-- you're like oh no wait THIS is what it was supposed to feel like. :lachen: You may find that your hair actually likes protein. :yep: Just be sure to keep yourself balanced as ESQ said.

And if you don't feel that spongy, gummy-like feel starting to come on then I'd continue doing whatever you are doing now. I mean if you aren't getting any real breakage or having problems then don't start changing up the regimen just b/c on paper you should. :lol: You may already be getting the protein you need in other products in your regimen. A light protein here or there is okay to phase in for balance and to get in front of any breakage, but you don't want to cause a problem where there isn't one by going full speed on the protein w/ hard core reconstructors and stuff. :lol: Start light-- and just pay close attention to what your hair is telling you in these early stages.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
im am also double processed, i have bleached streaks in my hair. i am DC every three days on schedule!! and i do aphogee 2min and 2 step. and i am loving the aphogee keratin green tea spritz,

KrystalClear

im am also double processed, i have bleached streaks in my hair. i am DC every three days on schedule!! and i do aphogee 2min and 2 step. and i am loving the aphogee keratin green tea spritz,

How often do you do these? Do you use the spritz daily? I am just not very smart about protein I guess lol. It's the most confusing thing for me right now. :ohwell:

KrystalClear

ITA with this. I don't use the 2-step either anymore b/c I can't justify needin' the protein bad boy contains. :lol: Everyone is different, and depending on the degree of hair damage you have (and your hair's porosity) you may need more or less regular protein than other folks.

But yeah, double processed hair is definitely going to require a bit more protein conditioning than what you were used to as a natural. You've basically assaulted your hair cuticles in the worse possible way w/ the relaxer... and then the color which looks to be fairly light. Try phasing in some light protein products and see if you notice a difference. The 2 minute is a good option. Sometimes we get used to a certain soft feel and then when you give it that protein strength and structure-- you're like oh no wait THIS is what it was supposed to feel like. :lachen: You may find that your hair actually likes protein. :yep: Just be sure to keep yourself balanced as ESQ said.

And if you don't feel that spongy, gummy-like feel starting to come on then I'd continue doing whatever you are doing now. I mean if you aren't getting any real breakage or having problems then don't start changing up the regimen just b/c on paper you should. :lol: You may already be getting the protein you need in other products in your regimen. A light protein here or there is okay to phase in for balance and to get in front of any breakage, but you don't want to cause a problem where there isn't one by going full speed on the protein w/ hard core reconstructors and stuff. :lol: Start light-- and just pay close attention to what your hair is telling you in these early stages.

EVERYTHING you said makes sense. I don't really have much breakage. I'll get a strand here or there, but I think it's also due to me being so rough (working on that). I have a question that may be completely STUPID... is dying my hair BACK black something that would be worse for the hair seeing as though it's going to be another chemical service? I hear somebody say something about doing a black rinse and it made their hair better vs the light color.

Sistaslick

Well, rinses are deposit only colors so they won't hurt you like a permanent color will. They also offer the cuticle a bit of protein support, so in that way they can help reduce your porosity and give you a little additional strength. Now I'm no expert on color so I'm not sure how well a black rinse will translate on your already light, color treated hair. I remember doing a black rinse a few years ago on my "orange" hair (don't ask :lachen:) and I had shades of green and teal streaks in the light. :lol:

A clear rinse, might be a better bet for you. :yep: That way you can keep your color, but you'll still get the benefits of a rinse. Also since rinses deposit on the cuticle, they also give your hair the appearance of greater thickness-- so they are awesome for people with fine, relaxed hair who want a bit more volume and umph to the strands. :yep: (If your hair is porous-which with the streaks/relaxer it most likely is, rinses will actually take better on your hair and last longer, too.)

eta: and that isn't a stupid question, lol! :giggle:

Last edited:

KrystalClear

Well, rinses are deposit only colors so they won't hurt you like a permanent color will. They also offer the cuticle a bit of protein support, so in that way they can help reduce your porosity and give you a little additional strength. Now I'm no expert on color so I'm not sure how well a black rinse will translate on your already light, color treated hair. I remember doing a black rinse a few years ago on my "orange" hair (don't ask :lachen:) and I had shades of green and teal streaks in the light. :lol:

A clear rinse, might be a better bet for you. :yep: That way you can keep your color, but you'll still get the benefits of a rinse. Also since rinses deposit on the cuticle, they also give your hair the appearance of greater thickness-- so they are awesome for people with fine, relaxed hair who want a bit more volume and umph to the strands. :yep: (If your hair is porous-which with the streaks/relaxer it most likely is, rinses will actually take better on your hair and last longer, too.)

eta: and that isn't a stupid question, lol! :giggle:

thanks for the info. surprisingly my hair isn't porous. I did the test, no sinking here. I just think it actually DOES need protein. Due to the color etc. I used some aphogee products and it didn't cause breakage, so I must have needed it! Who woulda thought!

gissellr78

I use a light protein weekly and my hair likes it. This week i tried Giovanni reconstructor and it was great!

ms.aiken01

I have relaxed 4a/b hair and im starting to think my hair is protein sensitive. before joining this site, i never used protein and my hair was growing fine. never had any issues with breakage or nothing. now that i've incorporated protein, my ends have been breaking, my hair is dry all the time, im to the point where i just dont know what to do with it. i tried using it one a week, to every other week, to just once a month, all with the same result. imma try going a whole month without protein and see what that does.

sharifeh

It's possible that you are just off balance, what protein products have you used that haven't agreed with your hair?

I have relaxed 4a/b hair and im starting to think my hair is protein sensitive. before joining this site, i never used protein and my hair was growing fine. never had any issues with breakage or nothing. now that i've incorporated protein, my ends have been breaking, my hair is dry all the time, im to the point where i just dont know what to do with it. i tried using it one a week, to every other week, to just once a month, all with the same result. imma try going a whole month without protein and see what that does.

Bluetopia

To answer your question YES! :perplexed There is such a thing. I am a 4a/b with coarse strands and I've had severe protein overload. So it is possible.

I think as long as you focus on being balanced and listen to your hair you should be fine. For me I had no idea what protein overload was so when it first happened it took me quite some time to figure out the culprit (all the while slapping protein products in my hair and further increasing the overload :wallbash:)

if you educate yourself what protein overload looks like (hard, stiff hair) and what moisture overload looks like (mushy limp hair) then maintaining a balance between the two will be that much easier.

~NanCeBoTwin~

I'm a 4a/b relaxed head and my hair HATES protein....the closest I get to protein is 100%AVJ (which merely acts like a protein) and Henna'ing which I only do once a year.

However, I don't have any color added to my hair, so I don't know how my hair would react to protein with the extra chemicals added. Even though I know my hair hates protein, if it were to get to a point where its looking like I need to add protein to my reggie, I wouldn't hesitate.

supermodelsonya

I'm more afraid of overloading on moisture than I've ever been afraid of protein. I had moisture overload one time and it took many protein treatments to get it back. I've never overloaded on protein.

SelfStyled

There really is such a thing- I don't think it is the norm. But we are out there and I am one. My hair is very coarse and resistant to relaxer, I am texlaxed because of this. What I found about my hair, is that because it is low in porosity it means my cuticles are already really compacted and close together. My cuticles dont need much if any extra reinforcement. Sometimes even using light protein treatments like the Aphogee 2 min are enough to tip me over the the protein/moisture balance.

Sadly it took me 3 years to figure this out, and I am so glad that I did. For me using protein at relaxer time is usually enough. I have wasted so much money on different protein treatments too.

My hair is thriving now that I concentrate on moisture.

HappilyLiberal

Good question... my hair hates hard protein. I do an Aphogee 2-step treatment a week after my relaxer. After that I use a very light protein every week until a week after my next relaxer.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
:nicethread:Excellent Thead

Being relaxed....You definitely have to listen to your hair. It will certainly tell you when you need that extra boost of 'protein'.:grin:

And there are soooo many light-weight protein and reconstructing treatments out there that will give you just enough of that extra added strength.

I use something light every week. Mainly a light reconstructor.

I normally use my med/heavier protein or reconstructors, 1 week prior to relaxing and a week or 2 after the relaxing process.:yep:

ms.aiken01

It's possible that you are just off balance, what protein products have you used that haven't agreed with your hair?

I have used the aphogee 2min, the aphogee 2 step (only used that once b/c my hair broke off something horrible after), and nexxus emergencee. My hair didnt like none of them :sad:

30something

I'm staring to realize that protein is not my best friend. Don't have much success with Aphogee 2 step. Only reason I used it the last time was for my pre relaxer treatment. Nexxus Emergencee same thing, no matter how loooong and hard I DC with moisturizing conditioner. I think I'll just stick with Aphogee 2 minute, Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla or hope my moisturizing DC protein is good enough. Who knows maybe it might be something else..

Next time I use either aphogee 2 mins or emergencee, i think i might just shampoo after.. maybe that will lessen the effect.

MissTripleChoc

I have 4b relaxed hair, and im protein sensitive. Protein makes my hair hard, stiff, dry and brittle. Thanks to this site i have learnt that it is actually the use of protein that has caused my dryness.

I now only use a light protein aphogee 2 min with ORS mask once a month and even that makes my hair feel hard for a week, but im conditioned to think that hair needs protein so i just endure the ill effects.

sunnieb

I've never used a hard/heavy protein. I'm scurred that my hair would :spike:!

I dc on dry hair with Motions CPR (light protein) every other week. :yep:

Last edited:

LaidBak

My question is:

Is there such a thing as a protein sensitive relaxed hair lady?

I am 4a/b relaxed, fine, dense. I thought my hair hated protein for a long time. I suffered from protein overload many times. Then I realized that I had to learn how to use protein. If I use it with heat in any way shape or form, I will lose hair. Meaning I cannot steam or sit under the dryer with a protein conditioner in my hair. I cannot steam or sit under the dryer even after I've rinsed the protein condish; like for example if I want to follow the protein with a moisture DC I cannot use heat with the moisture DC. So basically when its time for me to use protein I use something like Aphogee 2 Minute or Joico K Pak in the shower. Only when I follow these rules can I use protein often and avoid hair loss. So I am thinking that makes me protein sensitive.