Is Your Hair Wavy When Wet?

Chichi

Just out of curiosity what texture does everyone's hair have when it is wet? Does everyone's hair get wavy when it is wet? I think that mostly everyone has wavy hair when wet then it may change to a different texture once it dries, but I may be wrong... I've heard quite a few mentions on this board of having wavy hair when the hair is wet. But I've also heard other terms thrown around like cottony and spongy (
). As a transitioner for three months, my waves are becoming more pronounced while my hair is both wet and dry. It looks sort of like the waves that you would get after applying a wave kit with a doo-rag

So here are my questions:

Is our hair wavy when wet? If not, what is it's texture?

If it is wavy when wet, what does it look like when dry?

Chichi

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Is this question for naturals only?

If not, then my hair is very wavy when it is wet, with little curls on the ends. Once dry, it shrinks into stretched out "S"....tighter waves/curls.

NAY007

My is very straight after combing. Only when I scrunch it will the waves/curls come out. When I scrunch it and blow dry it it will come out curly. My new growth is more wavy than curly. But I think a lot of that has to do with the length of my hair. Cause the longer the hair is the heavier it will be and stretch the curls.

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
NAY007 said:
My is very straight after combing. Only when I scrunch it will the waves/curls come out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

Ipanema

My hair coils up when wet, and is not at all wavy. If it's soaking wet, like under the shower head, then the coils hang lower. But it still keeps the O shape.

CocoaCure

When my hair is natural, it's deep wavy when wet. I was surprised at this because when I first went natural I truly didn't know what to expect after umpteen years of having chemicals. Right now with my relaxer and an inch of transitioning newgrowth, it's still wavy when wet. It's more of a straightish wavy though, if that makes sense. I think I have 4A hair, and when it was natural and I had about 4 to 5 inches of hair, I could wet it, then just barely squeeze the water out, leaving it somewhat wet and then work in a ton of gel curl activator and then blow dry it with the dryer about 7 or 8 inches away from my hair and man! Those curls would just pop in all over my head! It was great! They'd be longer and springier than if I didn't do it that way. Fun!

CaramelKiss

[ QUOTE ]
NAY007 said:
My new growth is more wavy than curly. But I think a lot of that has to do with the length of my hair. Cause the longer the hair is the heavier it will be and stretch the curls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that! Before I had cut off my relaxed ends, my new growth (4 inches+) was wavy when wet and dry because the extra hair was stretching out the curls. Now that my hair is shorter with all the 6+ inches relaxed ends gone it is curly when wet and curlier when dry. I think once I gain some more length, my hair will loosen up again.

inthepink

I think it depends...so I can only answer for myself.

When my hair is wet, it's wavy - kinda long waves. But then again, I am transitioning and my hair is sorta long. When I comb my hair to put in my bun/ponytail, it combs out straight...I think this has to do with elasticity. My natural hair has SO much elasticity that it will straighten right out if I comb it. I think this is a sign of healthy hair. Then, once I let my hair dry, it starts to shrink up and then my waves appear.

I have some ALL natural hair that is on my nape...and it is curly like a spiral curl...but will easily stretch out straight also. I think it's "curly" b/c it doesn't have anything to hang onto.

Ayeshia

If i smoothed my hair back into a ponytail (when my hair was longer btw) then it would form waves at the root but be curly at the ends. My hair never dried wavy unless i had a relaxer, when natural its a bunch of spiral curlz everywhere

Chichi

[ QUOTE ]
CurlyCrly said:
Is this question for naturals only?

[/ QUOTE ]

This question is actually for the relaxed, transitioners, and naturals

Chichi

Purtygurly

My natural hair is 3c/4a and 4b around the edges. In the crown area I have 3c curls, then I have 4b everywhere else. I don't get too much shrikage when it's dry, so I get bunches of TINY ringlets. If I had long hair I wouldn't mind wearing my hair natural

My relaxed hair looks like 3b/3c hair if I let it air dry.

Allandra

Is your hair wavy when wet? If not, what is it's texture?

Yes my hair is wavy when wet.

If it is wavy when wet, what does it look like when dry?

It still looks wavy when dry.

babyblue

i have a weird multitextured head. when its wet the crown looks like a loose wave almost as if it was texturized that straightens easily with combing. my sides are more 4/a coils and the back is more curly when wet looks like black ramen noodles lol. When all dry and combed out my hair looks like a uniform 4b floppy afro that hangs down.

Choklate_Reign

My hair is very wavy when it's wet and it stays wavy when dry if I don't pull it straight. I actually like the look, and I would wear it like that if it didn't get so frizzy and big...

ADB

My hair is very wavy when wet. If I let it dry like that it'll shrink and it looks kind of like that girls hair on "Girl Friend". A lot of people think it looks cute like that. If it's dry and I comb it out it looks long and very full like an afro.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
[ QUOTE ]
Choklate_Reign said:
My hair is very wavy when it's wet and it stays wavy when dry if I don't pull it straight. I actually like the look, and I would wear it like that if it didn't get so frizzy and big...

[/ QUOTE ]

The same with my hair.
It's wavy when wet...and stays that way unless I brush it out. I haven't had a problem with dryness and frizzyness since I've been using Keracare Humecto. I'm thinking about wearing it wavy this summer .