"Isn't it unusual for black women to have long hair"

Riverwalk

I work at a gym with many bigwigs attend and I know more than enough of them wear weaves.

? My point was that we can't really criticize other black women for wearing weaves/wigs/braids, when some of them may be wearing them for the very reasons members of the forum wear weaves/wigs/braids (protective styles). Like I stated, there are some that may not be using it for that purpose, but, in some cases this is not the situation. I was referring to (and in agreement with) the first part of your original post -- I wasn't referring to the latter (if that is what you were referring to).

Last edited:

almond eyes

Dear Ladies,

I just want to know how many of you have been to Africa and have been in the rural areas not just the city? Maybe, I will not make generalisations of black women in the States but I am sorry I still stand by my statement. And I believe that due to genetics and the environment the African negroid man is hairless (not pubic hair) with tightly coiled hair that draws and this is not an insult but a fact and that any variations that we now see have come from centuries of environment change, ethnic and racial mixing. I don't care about Europeans being mixed because I am not European.

All this thing about taking care of your hair properly, can make black women neurotic. You can do all of that and still your hair may not grow APL. I have cousins who have never been APL and to get their they would either need to lock their hair or literally not cut their hair for at least ten years.

Best,
Almond Eyes

MAMATO

Hmmm....interesting thought! :scratchch :yep:

I agreed with everything except the part about some black women can't grow long hair no matter how well they take care of it. :nono: I personally believe that everybody's hair grows, and so if the hair isn't long, it's not because the hair doesn't grow.

Sure, maybe growing "long hair" may be easier for some black women than it is for others. But I just don't believe that if a black women without any chemicals in her hair, who is eating right, staying healthy, and practicing good healthy hair routines cannotgrow "long hair". I just don't believe that. Sorry.... :ohwell:

Unfortunately, I think it is true. My mother is from the carribeans and she used to tell me stories about men (from the country site) who cut their hair every 5 years. I was like "wow, I can see the big afro they were sporting". She told me "No, it was 2 inches at most". :blush: Personally I have a friend of mine (a man) who is always joking about the fact that he only cuts his hair every other year. His hair is extremely dry with very tight coils. I always thought he was joking, but I am that sure anymore:nono: I may need to confirm that with him if I have a chance ...:rolleyes:

anon123

Unfortunately, I think it is true. My mother is from the carribeans and she used to tell me stories about men (from the country site) who cut their hair every 5 years. I was like "wow, I can see the big afro they were sporting". She told me "No, it was 2 inches at most". :blush: Personally I have a friend of mine (a man) who is always joking about the fact that he only cuts his hair every other year. His hair is extremely dry with very tight coils. I always thought he was joking, but I am that sure anymore:nono: I may need to confirm that with him if I have a chance ...:rolleyes:

This is a teacher of mine. He's Rwandan and he says he doesn't cut, but he has such a short afro. I figured it was because he picks his hair every day (it always looks very neat). If I picked my hair every day, it wouldn't get much longer, either.

Almond eyes, I've been in rural areas in southern Africa:
http://public.fotki.com/mwedzi/pre-2007/nyachuru.html
I think I had the longest hair there. I saw tighter kinks than mine, but from what I could tell, my hair was still well within the range of their hair types, too (and they were all very kinky, like I am). In fact, I was explicitly told, with surprise in their voices, that my hair was like theirs. Maybe they thought it wouldn't / shouldn't be because I'm AA or because my hair was comparatively long. I also remember being asked why AA women's hair is so long. Hmm, maybe they got that from TV, but then again, like I said, mine was long comparatively. I don't know about genetics. It seems to be true by genetic studies that, in general, Africans' hair grows slower than Europeans'. But I haven't read anything about terminal growth yet. And the variation between individuals is big, too, so that some black people in the study grew hair faster than some white people if I remember right (the black people were in Africa for this study). In the places I was in, though, I would say that their hair care habits were simply not conducive to growing long hair. And traditionally in those parts, it seemed to not matter much.

In general now when people tell me their hair won't grow past a very short length, I just don't believe them unless they have kept their hair in loose big braids and detangled exclusively with their fingers for at least a year. If their hair hasn't grown longer after that, I might believe it, but without that, I always think it's just breakage and that some hair types are just naturally more fragile than others.

Last edited:

Jazala

Maybe, I will not make generalisations of black women in the States but I am sorry I still stand by my statement. And I believe that due to genetics and the environment the African negroid man is hairless (not pubic hair) with tightly coiled hair that draws and this is not an insult but a fact and that any variations that we now see have come from centuries of environment change, ethnic and racial mixing.

While this is true (the tightly coiled part) it doesn't prevent african people from growing their head hair long if they want it that way. There are some well documented cases from people who study african tribes and their cultural practices. Their hair length seems to be determined more by tribal practices rather than an inability to grow hair.

Case in point: Maasai warriors with their traditional hair styling (the women of the tribe shave their heads).

Last edited:

ebonylocs

Lord people. How many times must we go over the obvious?

Our (African) hair is very fragile, often dry, often tangly. So it's more difficult to grow long. And this is not mostly a growth thing, it's mainly a retention thing. If someone with *extremely dry and brittle* hair doesn't moisturise, and/or drags a comb through their hair daily, then, even without cutting, their hair *could* be stuck at a few inches long, because it's BREAKING everyday.(But don't forget the "shortness" illusion caused by shrinkage.) My hair is a soft 4B, (but not the brittlest / driest out there) and (at the times when I wasn't wearing it short deliberately) my hair would plateau at a couple of inches below shoulder length).

So it *is* unusual for Black women to have long hair.

But so what? There is no innate virtue in long hair. It's just a goal I'm pursuing at the moment. If you were to shave the heads of all the women in the world, *we* would still look hot as hell. (I'm sure some of you saw that episode of ANTM where Dani and Nenna killed it, while many of the white girls looked like the Pillsbury doughboy.)

And I tell you, with information widely available and more interracial dating, people of all races are learning about the black woman weave prediliction. I've had a number of white people ask if my BSL length hair was mine (and expected the answer to be "No".). One was a girl who has dated a LOT of Black guys, and interacted with their female family members. One was a guy who only dates black girls. He stated it as a matter of *fact* that he had learnt that "Black women's hair isn't theirs". I had to set him straight, and told him that it very much depends on the woman, and that I, for one, had never worn a weave in my life. Neither had my mom or my sister, who both have long enough hair. But what was the guy to think, when ALL the (Black) women he had dated had worn weaves and had short hair underneath?

JustKiya

Our (African) hair is very fragile, often dry, often tangly. So it's more difficult to grow long. And this is not mostly a growth thing, it's mainly a retention thing. If someone with *extremely dry and brittle* hair doesn't moisturise, and/or drags a comb through their hair daily, then, even without cutting, their hair *could* be stuck at a few inches long, because it's BREAKING everyday.(But don't forget the "shortness" illusion caused by shrinkage.) My hair is a soft 4B, (but not the brittlest / driest out there) and (at the times when I wasn't wearing it short deliberately) my hair would plateau at a couple of inches below shoulder length).

But so what? There is no innate virtue in long hair. It's just a goal I'm pursuing at the moment. If you were to shave the heads of all the women in the world, *we* would still look hot as hell. (I'm sure some of you saw that episode of ANTM where Dani and Nenna killed it, while many of the white girls looked like the Pillsbury doughboy.)

And I tell you, with information widely available and more interracial dating, people of all races are learning about the black woman weave prediliction. I've had a number of white people ask if my BSL length hair was mine (and expected the answer to be "No".). One was a girl who has dated a LOT of Black guys, and interacted with their female family members. One was a guy who only dates black girls. He stated it as a matter of *fact* that he had learnt that "Black women's hair isn't theirs". I had to set him straight, and told him that it very much depends on the woman, and that I, for one, had never worn a weave in my life. Neither had my mom or my sister, who both have long enough hair. But what was the guy to think, when ALL the (Black) women he had dated had worn weaves and had short hair underneath?

Fabulously said!!

glamazon386

wow itz ironic that u just responded 2 thiz post, bcuz i just posted a comment on ur blog...but um in response to what u said about the majority of black women wearing weavez bcuz of the length of their hair...well i 4 1 dont wear a weave bcuz of the length of my hair...my hair is a few inchez from APL...i wear it 4 convenience, it can b less time consuming, 2 definitely give my hair a much needed break from heat, & just bcuz i'm straight up lazy period!!!...lol...nothing more nothing less...regardless 2 what black women may wear their weavez 4, it doesnt give anyone the right to assume itz bcuz we're ALL bald & can't grow hair...that waz just an ignorant assumption 4 anyone 2 make...

But realistically how many black women wear weaves as a protective style? Come on now... Y'all need to stop acting like everybody everywhere does it and it's the norm because it's not. If that was the case wouldn't all the celebs have hair to their butts since they're constantly in weaves and wigs? It's just not the norm no matter how you flip it. This whole weave as a protective style thing is prevalent on this hair board but it's not in the real world.

The majority of black women have short hair or wear weave for various reasons. Mainly because we do not take care of our hair or simply just do not know how because we never picked up healthy hair practices. If you really think about it, if that wasn't the case this board probably wouldn't even exist.

Many people assume that no matter what they do their hair will not grow so they just say to hell with it. The weave is just putting a bandaid on a bigger problem. I know because I used to be one of those people. And the majority of the black women I know in real life wear weave for this reason or wear their own short hair out and about.

You know it's bad when even other black people just automatically assume that a black woman with long hair must be wearing weave. My mother gets it from people all the time. I think being on this board can enclose us in a bubble sometimes. It's like suddenly we're enlightened and we can't believe that people out there aren't doing this or aren't doing that like we probably weren't doing those same things before we came here.

I don't understand why people get so caught up with this. Most black women do not have long hair. Period. For various reasons. That doesn't mean that it isn't possible it just isn't the majority right now. Just like most black women are still relaxing their hair. This board has a lot of naturals and makes it seem like the masses are moving toward being natural. It is what it is. Any hair that is well taken care of will grow but we have to learn the how to take care of it part first before we will make any progress. Isn't that why we're here in the first place?

Last edited:

RegaLady

I agree!!!:yep::yep: It is in us to at least get away with it more, than others. As LL Cool J put it," Few women need long hair." It is GREAT to have, DO NOT get me wrong.:lachen:

My mother is WL, and wears a wig ALL THE TIME, EVERY DAY, and FOREVER! Don't be fooled by everyone who is wearing a wig or weave. I remember I went to get my hair braided, and some girls were getting there hair taken down. I was in amazement how may of them had SL and beyond length. No, it wasn't really draping, but there was some hair under there, and healthy hair at that. True majority may be tore up, and short under there, but not all of them.
My father is Nigerian, and his hair grows the slowest out of everybody in the family. I don't find it hard to believe that it grows slow, so slow it may seem like it just doesn't grow.:ohwell: Maybe that is why when you see African women with long weave, it never looks like it becomes them. I dunno, they seem like their hair fits who they are.

glamazon386

I agree!!!:yep::yep: It is in us to at least get away with it more, than others. As LL Cool J put it," Few women need long hair." It is GREAT to have, DO NOT get me wrong.:lachen:

My mother is WL, and wears a wig ALL THE TIME, EVERY DAY, and FOREVER! Don't be fooled by everyone who is wearing a wig or weave. I remember I went to get my hair braided, and some girls were getting there hair taken down. I was in amazement how may of them had SL and beyond length. No, it wasn't really draping, but there was some hair under there, and healthy hair at that. True majority may be tore up, and short under there, but not all of them.
My father is Nigerian, and his hair grows the slowest out of everybody in the family. I don't find it hard to believe that it grows slow, so slow it may seem like it just doesn't grow.:ohwell: Maybe that is why when you see African women with long weave, it never looks like it becomes them. I dunno, they seem like their hair fits who they are.

My great granny does this because she doesn't like that her hair is all grey now. My mom said when she was a kid she always wore it on top her head in giant bun. She always wears a short wig when leaving the house. The only way you'll catch her with her hair out (usually in one braid) is if you stop by unannounced.

almond eyes

Dear Ladies,

Great comments all the way around both pro and con the debate, it's healthy. I enjoy reading everything and I also love to play the devil's advocate.

Best,
Almond Eyes

tbanae

I may have an unpopular opinion but here goes. Generally speaking...I dont believe that African American hair grows as fast as women of other races. Some black women get the average growth rate 1/4 to 1/2, some maybe a little more, but the rest is slower than the average. Now I will agree that proper hair care plays a huge role in retaining length for black women. However, I have a friend who has the most gorgeous head of hair. For the first time ever she cut her from APL to just above SL about 2 years ago. That hair hasnt grown back yet. It is beautiful healthy hair, shiny and bouncy, it just grows so turtle slow. Which is perfectly alright because she works with what she has and its fierce. Which is what all those women walking around with jack up heads...chewed ends and bad color jobs should do. Work with what you have. Fact of the matter is, many black women will never know BSL or WSL hair, but that doesnt mean you cant have a healthy head of hair at whatever length you are able to achieve. I think every black woman has a unique head of hair and she has to learn for herself what works best for her hair. It will take some trial and error and eventually beautiful hair will emerge which I think counts for more than butt length hair any day.

Isis

I may have an unpopular opinion but here goes. Generally speaking...I dont believe that African American hair grows as fast as women of other races. Some black women get the average growth rate 1/4 to 1/2, some maybe a little more, but the rest is slower than the average. Now I will agree that proper hair care plays a huge role in retaining length for black women. However, I have a friend who has the most gorgeous head of hair. For the first time ever she cut her from APL to just above SL about 2 years ago. That hair hasnt grown back yet. It is beautiful healthy hair, shiny and bouncy, it just grows so turtle slow. Which is perfectly alright because she works with what she has and its fierce. Which is what all those women walking around with jack up heads...chewed ends and bad color jobs should do. Work with what you have. Fact of the matter is, many black women will never know BSL or WSL hair, but that doesnt mean you cant have a healthy head of hair at whatever length you are able to achieve. I think every black woman has a unique head of hair and she has to learn for herself what works best for her hair. It will take some trial and error and eventually beautiful hair will emerge which I think counts for more than butt length hair any day.

I just want to mention there are other factors besides the average hair growth estimate. Not all black women want BSL or WSL hair. The intention to grow one's hair to a particular length is key and with that intention comes a healthy diet, an increase of water drinking. regular exercise, etc. I agree that healthy hair is a great goal--that's always been my goal on this board. It's also ok for one to want WSL, Classic or longer lengths or TWAs, if that is the intention. IMO, it's all good. :yep:

aja1121

Exactly:yep: If there are more weaves & wigs in Philly than in DC, than that's a whhhhhhhole lot of weave.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:.....I said when I moved to Philly 6 years ago. Yeah every time I go home I see more and more (not a bad thing). But, I also see more naturals too!

I still think Philly takes the cake. I big chopped with some clippers with an 1/8" guard in July of 2002. So I was bald! I moved to Philly that August; I thought my hair cut was sharp.....lol, do you know how many men......of all races might I add.....told me to get a weave!!!!

I was in awe of how excepting some of these men were of weave and turned off that they couldn't get down with short hair. But that was 6 years ago.

SleepyJean

Its not just other races who believe that our own believe it too. Yesterday I was in the Gym one of the ladies there was saying the last time she saw me I had twists. So she started talking about hair. I told her its a protective style for me. Her friend was like well your hair grew cause you got "That growing hair".:lachen::lachen:

I chuckled and said to her:

"We all have growing hair about .25 to .5 inch a month. Your hair grows.. how much you retain is a different story. You have to protect your ends and moisturize not grease. If it did not grow why would u need to get a touch up?".

You tell her girl! :giggle:

I had to do my cousin like that this weekend when I told her the difference between perms and relaxers. She thought she was sooo right. :nono:

My answer for the OP's question is...yes...it is unusual for a black woman to have long hair. When I was in grade school:)lol: inside joke), having SL hair was a privilege. SL hair for a black girl was considered long. Still is for some people. I'm only going on what I've seen and heard.

RegaLady

:lachen::lachen::lachen:.....I said when I moved to Philly 6 years ago. Yeah every time I go home I see more and more (not a bad thing). But, I also see more naturals too!

I still think Philly takes the cake. I big chopped with some clippers with an 1/8" guard in July of 2002. So I was bald! I moved to Philly that August; I thought my hair cut was sharp.....lol, do you know how many men......of all races might I add.....told me to get a weave!!!!

I was in awe of how excepting some of these men were of weave and turned off that they couldn't get down with short hair. But that was 6 years ago.
:lachen::lachen:WHATTTTTTT!!!:blush::blush: I though Philly was the queen of natural women!!! I really thought they liked the natural thing? That is a surprise!

Hair Iam

But realistically how many black women wear weaves as a protective style? Come on now... Y'all need to stop acting like everybody everywhere does it and it's the norm because it's not. If that was the case wouldn't all the celebs have hair to their butts since they're constantly in weaves and wigs? It's just not the norm no matter how you flip it. This whole weave as a protective style thing is prevalent on this hair board but it's not in the real world.

The majority of black women have short hair or wear weave for various reasons. Mainly because we do not take care of our hair or simply just do not know how because we never picked up healthy hair practices. If you really think about it, if that wasn't the case this board probably wouldn't even exist.

Many people assume that no matter what they do their hair will not grow so they just say to hell with it. The weave is just putting a bandaid on a bigger problem. I know because I used to be one of those people. And the majority of the black women I know in real life wear weave for this reason or wear their own short hair out and about.

You know it's bad when even other black people just automatically assume that a black woman with long hair must be wearing weave. My mother gets it from people all the time. I think being on this board can enclose us in a bubble sometimes. It's like suddenly we're enlightened and we can't believe that people out there aren't doing this or aren't doing that like we probably weren't doing those same things before we came here.

I don't understand why people get so caught up with this. Most black women do not have long hair. Period. For various reasons. That doesn't mean that it isn't possible it just isn't the majority right now. Just like most black women are still relaxing their hair. This board has a lot of naturals and makes it seem like the masses are moving toward being natural. It is what it is. Any hair that is well taken care of will grow but we have to learn the how to take care of it part first before we will make any progress. Isn't that why we're here in the first place?

well said little lady:yep:

iasade

I am black and unfortunately, I used to think that we could not grow hair past shoulder and if it was, it was fake or we were bi-racial. I am soooooooooooo glad I came into the knowledge of the truth and no longer ignorant of proper haircare. I am starting to retain some length from being on this site and learning more and more how to take care of my hair. I am so inspired by all of you and just thankful I found out how to take care of my hair properly.

:yep:

LongiLox

yep. i thought it was funny once when the pastor at my last church told a story about why is wife always cut the legs off the Thanksgiving turkey before putting it in the oven. she said cuz her mama 'nem did it that way. so he asked his mother-in-law, she said cuz that's how HER mama 'nem did it that way. so he asks grandma-in-law why, she says because back in the day she didn't have anything big enough to fit the whole turkey in, so she cut the legs off to make it fit.

moral of the story? some traditions don't need to be carried on. :lachen:

You know I've had a pastor at my church tell this same story. Do you think it's a story they learned at pastor school? :)

LongiLox

I agree with the hair coloring issue. While a lot of Black women color, I feel like many more White and Hispanic women do on a fairly frequent basis. One of my best friends who is PRican is always changing up her hair color and expects us to notice the subtle changes. IMO, if she left it her natural chocolate brown color, it would look just as nice as it does 'reddish brown.' I think every group has their own hair issue.

I think the reason they color their hair so often is because there's not much to do with their hair. That's all the can do: cut and color.

CurlyMoo

Unfortunately, I think this is a common place idea not just among black people, but people in general.

True story: I'd just gotten my hair straightened and I headed to the BSS to find a wide tooth comb. As I stood in the store, comb in hand, the asian worker walked up behind me and asked "is that all your hair" I replied "yes, it is my natural hair" still in disbelief, she added "There's no weave in there at all?" I replied to her, as I parted my hair down the center to reveal the lack of tracks, "Nope, not at all." She was pretty impressed and went on with this speech about how most black women use weave and that she didn't mean to offend me. I wasn't offended, just curious as to why this was the normal reaction to a black woman with long hair.

You know I find this woman's behavior agressive and offensive. That's like asking if your breast are real! Bunch of idiots~ :nono:

FAMUDva

I think being on this board can enclose us in a bubble sometimes. It's like suddenly we're enlightened and we can't believe that people out there aren't doing this or aren't doing that like we probably weren't doing those same things before we came here.

:clapping: Thank you! I couldn't have said it better! :)

CurlyMoo

I agree with you... I don't think I would have been offended by the comment. Knowing me i would have tried to enlighten her though.

And I know it's not popular sentiment on the LHCF... but honestly, IRL, it's what I see. Yeah, I live in Atlanta so I do see more healthy natural & relaxed heads on a daily. But honestly speaking, I don't see nearly as many long hair black women as I see long hair white women. I'm just saying...

I sometimes get caught up in the LHCF hype, but to be real, I know black women can grow their hair long, but I just don't see it on the regular. SO, when I see a sista with BSL hair or longer, I stare and long for what she has! :look: I sometimes even walk up to her out of the blue and tell her she has beautiful hair...

I have several friends with beautiful healthy hair; but really only have 4 that I can think of with thick BSL or longer hair. That's the real deal...

ETA: "Long hair" that I reference is BSL or longer. I know plenty of sistas (including myself) with SL to APL hair. Seems to be longer lengths that I don't see often.

It's possible that you do see them, my sister had hair to her hips and people thought it was weave. I cracked up when I asked her what people's reactions were about her hair. She said they never believe her and just think it's weave.

LongiLox

I think maybe they mean its unnatural to wear hair that didn't grow directly out of your own scalp...and IMO it IS unnatural...just like some natural's will say its unnatural to relax...I still do it..but I wouldn't be offended if they thought that...I am chemically altering what comes out of my scalp, and women who wear weaves are adding hair that didn't come out of their scalps....

I guess it all relates back to the stigma that you see more non-black women sporting their own hair, then you do with extensions. Where as with Black women it seems its the exact opposite..you see more black women with fake hair than you do without....

To me it seems that if wearing weaves was all about protective styling, than how come we don't see more weaves with shorter styles? Isn't a weave with shorter hair just as good in terms of protecting the hair? It seems to me that with the exception of the few who wear weaves for protective purposes, most wear weaves for Vanity reasons...they want longer hair...yeah some may put in a weave to "try out" a shorter style but IMO there are far more women getting long weaves than short and it makes me think it has more to do with wanting length than it does trying to get healthy hair...people may disagree but that's how I feel...

That's not to say that Non BW don't wear extensions, cause they do! I just think the proportion isn't the same...Also, the BW that don't wear weaves, usually have jacked up hair...I'm not just talking about length but health too, You don't see that many BW walking around with healthy, let alone BSL and longer hair..the women on this board are the MINORITY, we all know the average woman walking around doesn't know how to take care of their hair...if they did...I truly think we'd see more ladies in the street with healthier, non-weaved hair...

I truly think most women who wear weaves don't for "protective purposes"...they want long hair and don't know how to grow it themselves so they buy it. plain and simple.

Those that use weaves for protective measures, I'm not knocking you at ALL...just know that there is no way to differentiate between you and the next weave wearer....you end up getting lumped in the same "Can't Grow Hair" Category by the average onlooker...

Maybe that's because in our society (regardless of race), long hair is associated with beauty?

CurlyMoo

yep. i thought it was funny once when the pastor at my last church told a story about why is wife always cut the legs off the Thanksgiving turkey before putting it in the oven. she said cuz her mama 'nem did it that way. so he asked his mother-in-law, she said cuz that's how HER mama 'nem did it that way. so he asks grandma-in-law why, she says because back in the day she didn't have anything big enough to fit the whole turkey in, so she cut the legs off to make it fit.

moral of the story? some traditions don't need to be carried on. :lachen:

Thank you this is funny! :lachen: :lachen:

LongiLox

Yes, I should not make generalisations. But I work in the DRC (Congo) and many of those women sport afro natural hair and it just doesn't grow long it is very short and the coil is extremely tight. As an African, who lives in both US and Africa I can say that I find that not all African women are capable of growing long hair and that is not a bad thing. Maybe in the States because of all of the racials mixes but in some parts of Africa (not all) this is not the case.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I absolutely disagree with you! Everyone can grow hair; it might grow slow, but you can still grow it. It's retention that's the key! Even if your hair grows supper slow, at least in three year, you might still make it to APL if you learn to properly take care of it and retain the little length that you get. And you can't compare US to Africa. Africa is a continent with over 50 countries. The US is just one country. I'm sure you know this, but I'm just saying we shouldn't compare apples to oranges.