"Isn't it unusual for black women to have long hair"

LongiLox

Maybe you are not saying GROW but retaining length. All hair grows. Racial mixing has nothing to do with it. Big misconception.:ohwell:

Thank you! Because that will take us back to the argument that "black people can't grow hair" and that will mean the only way they can grow hair is to "mix with other races."

MizAvalon

But realistically how many black women wear weaves as a protective style? Come on now... Y'all need to stop acting like everybody everywhere does it and it's the norm because it's not. If that was the case wouldn't all the celebs have hair to their butts since they're constantly in weaves and wigs? It's just not the norm no matter how you flip it. This whole weave as a protective style thing is prevalent on this hair board but it's not in the real world.

The majority of black women have short hair or wear weave for various reasons. Mainly because we do not take care of our hair or simply just do not know how because we never picked up healthy hair practices. If you really think about it, if that wasn't the case this board probably wouldn't even exist.

Many people assume that no matter what they do their hair will not grow so they just say to hell with it. The weave is just putting a bandaid on a bigger problem. I know because I used to be one of those people. And the majority of the black women I know in real life wear weave for this reason or wear their own short hair out and about.

You know it's bad when even other black people just automatically assume that a black woman with long hair must be wearing weave. My mother gets it from people all the time. I think being on this board can enclose us in a bubble sometimes. It's like suddenly we're enlightened and we can't believe that people out there aren't doing this or aren't doing that like we probably weren't doing those same things before we came here.

I don't understand why people get so caught up with this. Most black women do not have long hair. Period. For various reasons. That doesn't mean that it isn't possible it just isn't the majority right now. Just like most black women are still relaxing their hair. This board has a lot of naturals and makes it seem like the masses are moving toward being natural. It is what it is. Any hair that is well taken care of will grow but we have to learn the how to take care of it part first before we will make any progress. Isn't that why we're here in the first place?

This is an excellent post. :up:

glamazon386

To me it seems that if wearing weaves was all about protective styling, than how come we don't see more weaves with shorter styles? Isn't a weave with shorter hair just as good in terms of protecting the hair? It seems to me that with the exception of the few who wear weaves for protective purposes, most wear weaves for Vanity reasons...they want longer hair...yeah some may put in a weave to "try out" a shorter style but IMO there are far more women getting long weaves than short and it makes me think it has more to do with wanting length than it does trying to get healthy hair...people may disagree but that's how I feel...

That's not to say that Non BW don't wear extensions, cause they do! I just think the proportion isn't the same...Also, the BW that don't wear weaves, usually have jacked up hair...I'm not just talking about length but health too, You don't see that many BW walking around with healthy, let alone BSL and longer hair..the women on this board are the MINORITY, we all know the average woman walking around doesn't know how to take care of their hair...if they did...I truly think we'd see more ladies in the street with healthier, non-weaved hair...

ITA!!!!! It's rare that you see short weave styles. I've been seeing a lot of bobs lately but it is rare. Most people get weave and feel like well as long as I'm buying hair I might as well go all out. The longer the better.....

Black women with long hair is rare. It just is. And the majority of the ladies here on this board were in the majority before coming here. Shoot some of us still are. Does anybody wonder why many of us have to put in all this extra effort to grow hair (growth aids, convoluted regimens, specific products, etc.)? If it was truly that easy we'd all be walking around swinging hair now. Shoot would have been a long time ago.

CurlyMoo

Yup, I haaate it when Tyra goes on and on about her wigs and weaves. She needs to stop.

Some of these women just insecure or have no class. i.e. Tyra (too insecure to just wear the damn wig, but no she has to explain it), Star Jones (loves to show her jar of Vasoline), Lil Kim (obsessed with bleaching cream)............... These trolops have no idea what the feminine mystic means. You're not suppose to let people know all of your secrets. :wallbash:

I often compliment women on their new hair styles, but when it comes to black women they immediately tell you it's a wig. WHY? I don't care and don't need to know. Black folks have this idea that if we don't tell you what's really going on that we have some how failed to keep it "real."

BTW, I don't have anything against wigs as they can be very fun to wear occasionally. And some women have experienced hair loss due to alopecia, over processed chemical treatments or what have you. But when you wear wigs or weave everyday like it's your own grown hair, folks there is something wrong with you. There are actually some people who sleep in wigs, OMG :wallbash:.

MizAvalon

Some of these women just insecure or have no class. i.e. Tyra (too insecure to just wear the damn wig, but no she has to explain it), Star Jones (loves to show her jar of Vasoline), Lil Kim (obsessed with bleaching cream)............... These trolops have no idea what the feminine mystic means. You're not suppose to let people know all of your secrets. :wallbash:

I am in total agreement with this, people don't need to know everything! One of my favorite sayings is, "People don't need to see the parts moving inside the machine. All they need to know is that it works."

glamazon386

I often compliment women on their new hair styles, but when it comes to black women they immediately tell you it's a wig. WHY? I don't care and don't need to know. Black folks have this idea that if we don't tell you what's really going on that we have some how failed to keep it "real."

BTW, I don't have anything against wigs as they can be very fun to wear occasionally. And some women have experienced hair loss due to alopecia, over processed chemical treatments or what have you. But when you wear wigs or weave everyday like it's your own grown hair, folks there is something wrong with you. There are actually some people who sleep in wigs, OMG :wallbash:.

I don't understand that either. People don't need to know all your business.

ebonylocs

no, it doesn't. Thats only one strand. A new one will pop right back in, so how can a limit be set? There is ABSO-POSITIVE-LUTELY NO LIMIT ON THE LENGTH YOUR HAIR CAN GROW nor does genetics affect it. Its the same for every single person.

Are you serious? How does that seem logical to you?

Let's explain this to you with numbers:

Say your hair grows 1/2 inch per month. And your maximum growth cycle is 4 years - that's 48 months. So the MAXIMUM any strand of hair on your head will grow before shedding is 48 x 0.5 = 24 inches. So no matter how long you grow your hair without cutting it, it will never be over 24 inches long, since each strand will always shed before or at the 4 year mark, and (as you rightly point out) a NEW one starts growing in *from scratch*. Now of course, all your strand are not on the same timetable, so while one is shedding, another one is just starting to grow, and another one is in the middle, etc etc. But the fact remains that no strand on your head will survive beyond 4 years, which places a limit on your LENGTH, because LENGTH is nothing but GROWTH RATE x TIME.

But that said, even with that, most people have a lot to work with. Because if the longest strands on your head are 24 inches long, then, girl, you have some long ass hair. So by maximising RETENTION within the limitations of your maximum length, I believe MOST people can have fairly long hair.

NB: There are some very rare people around whose growth cycle appears to last a long long time - to the point where if they don't trim, they can grow hair that touches the floor. E.g. a family of white American long haired sisters from the olden days that was posted on this forum once.

FAMUDva

It's possible that you do see them, my sister had hair to her hips and people thought it was weave. I cracked up when I asked her what people's reactions were about her hair. She said they never believe her and just think it's weave.

It's possible, but I promise you it's not nearly as often as I see white women and women of other races. I'm typically the person that's naive about weaves and give women the benefit of the doubt with weaves if I can't tell that it's a weave... I usually assume it's their hair unless told otherwise or unless it's obvious. Trust me, even in Atlanta, I don't see alot of sistas with WL hair on a daily... but I can see some back wood red necks with floor length greasy hair often. :look:

I ain't saying black women don't grow hair long, I'm just saying it's not so preposterous that there are fewer of us as compared to women of other races. Whether it's because of hair care or whatever... it just is :( I agree with glamazon that we are enveloped in a LHCF bubble or matrix of sorts... I think I see more long haired ppl on this forum daily than I do in real life.

Last edited:

lilsparkle825

Say your hair grows 1/2 inch per month. And your maximum growth cycle is 4 years - that's 48 months. So the MAXIMUM any strand of hair on your head will grow before shedding is 48 x 0.5 = 24 inches. So no matter how long you grow your hair without cutting it, it will never be over 24 inches long, since each strand will always shed before or at the 4 year mark, and (as you rightly point out) a NEW one starts growing in *from scratch*. Now of course, all your strand are not on the same timetable, so while one is shedding, another one is just starting to grow, and another one is in the middle, etc etc. But the fact remains that no strand on your head will survive beyond 4 years, which places a limit on your LENGTH, because LENGTH is nothing but GROWTH RATE x TIME.

But that said, even with that, most people have a lot to work with. Because if the longest strands on your head are 24 inches long, then, girl, you have some long ass hair. So by maximising RETENTION within the limitations of your maximum length, I believe MOST people can have fairly long hair.

NB: There are some very rare people around whose growth cycle appears to last a long long time - to the point where if they don't trim, they can grow hair that touches the floor. E.g. a family of white American long haired sisters from the olden days that was posted on this forum once.
word. a new one pops in but it doesn't pop in 24 inches long.

unfortunately.

Diya

Dont'cha just love math :brainy:... the numbers don't lie!! Carry on folks...:dork:

Hair Iam

Preach it sister

shocol

Dear Ladies,

I think this is a healthy debate even if not everyone agrees with my viewpoint. And I enjoy different viewpoints because it forces me to think.

I guess it is like body hair, some people just don't have it and some do. And I am not saying that being mixed means one can grow hair because I know many mixed women who also have a hard time growing their hair past a certain length. I am also half-Nigerian and I still think that there are some black/African women who can only grow hair to a maximum length and some of it may be due to genetics and environment (over time). I have a Ugandan friend who has locks and it took literally six years before they started dropping and I have cousins who have had afros that stay the same length and even with the stretch thing it's still short. For many African women (non-mixed) growing what is considered long hair (SL) is not a reality or else many women in Africa would have shoulder lenght hair. It's just not in the genetic coding but it does not mean it is impossible or that there are no exceptions to the rule. And I have had other ethnic groups make comments to me not only about black women not being able to have long hair but also about features but it does not bother me as long as they are not denigrating. However, I would be amiss to say that straight long hair is a sign of beauty these days and nothing is wrong with wanting that look but at the same time we have to be honest in that the value of short hair is not on the same level as long hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

For some reason, I always thought that African and Carribean women didn't have a problem growing long hair. If they didn't, it was because of cultural reasons or they followed Western hair care practices, i.e. relaxers, products laden with mineral oil, petrolatum, etc. IDK where I got that from, but I've been thinking that way for a while.

Barbara

Princess
This is an interesting topic.

However, some of us had bra clasp hair before stumbling across this board. I was just doing things out of ignorance, but I didn't know they were good for my hair.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
For many African women (non-mixed) growing what is considered long hair (SL) is not a reality or else many women in Africa would have shoulder lenght hair. It's just not in the genetic coding but it does not mean it is impossible or that there are no exceptions to the rule.

I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if I missed something. But about the comment in bold, does this mean that Sonce is an exception to the rule? And is there any hope for us non-mixed African women who want to grow our hair?

Maracujá

Dear Ladies,

All great points.

I have to play devil's advocate, what about body hair?. Many Black/African women are not capable of growing body hair so why can't the same be said about hair on the head?. When I say not capable of growing hair, obviously I don't mean that the person is bald or hairless but that it just doesn't grow long. I know of some African women who love hairy arms (in some parts of Africa like Senegal, Rwanda and Congo, hairy arms and legs is seen as sexy by men) and they use concoctions to grow it but it just doesn't.

Best,
Almond eyes

I am 100% non-mixed Bantu Negroid African and I have plenty of body hair, I would take a pic and post but I don't wanna frighten you ladies, we call this being peluda in my country of origin.

Maracujá

Yes, I should not make generalisations. But I work in the DRC (Congo) and many of those women sport afro natural hair and it just doesn't grow long it is very short and the coil is extremely tight. As an African, who lives in both US and Africa I can say that I find that not all African women are capable of growing long hair and that is not a bad thing. Maybe in the States because of all of the racials mixes but in some parts of Africa (not all) this is not the case.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I should just stop spending so much time on LHCF then, getting my hopes all up.

Harina

not all African women are capable of growing long hair and that is not a bad thing. Maybe in the States because of all of the racials mixes but in some parts of Africa (not all) this is not the case.

I'm sorry but i think this is completely and utter baloney. I am a 110% Nigerian of the Igbo tribe. I had long hair as a child (until I effed it up with relaxers and dyes:rolleyes:) and now I am 100% natural. I went from a twa to about collarbone length in about two years of natural hair care. I think there's a few too many exceptions of full black women who have long hair to the black women can't grow hair theory. What makes the women who can grow their hair so much more special than those who can't? Nothing! I genuinely think that any woman (with the exception of those who have illnesses or diseases) can grow their hair to at least mbl. It's all about the proper care. Our hair needs more care and if you want long hair, you either do it or you don't.

Hot40

I dont think many balck women belive that we can nto grow our hair.
The majority dont know anything about us, only what is seen on movies or
music videos.

Every notice how we know a lot abouth their culture but the dont seem to know
anything about ours????

afiya27

Yes, I should not make generalisations. But I work in the DRC (Congo) and many of those women sport afro natural hair and it just doesn't grow long it is very short and the coil is extremely tight. As an African, who lives in both US and Africa I can say that I find that not all African women are capable of growing long hair and that is not a bad thing. Maybe in the States because of all of the racials mixes but in some parts of Africa (not all) this is not the case.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I've read this too in a scientific publication (see the work of South African dermatologist, NP Khumalo). Even with dreads, some people's hair just doesn't grow "long" beyond a certain (short) length. I think that's the minority though. Most black folk I've seen (whether continental or Diasporic African) CAN grow hair AT LEAST with dreadlocks. So I think that the key difference between DRC/Africa/the Carribean and here is PRODUCT AVAILABILITY AND VARIETY. I went to Tanzania in 2002, and there were hardly ANY products on the shelf compared to the US. THAT can make a BIG difference. If they're just washing their hair with body soap, and then picking it without conditioner etc, then yeah, it's just going to break off at an earlier/shorter point than it does for many women in the West. So, I guess it might be valid to say that, without dreadlocks OR PRODUCTS, African hair doesn't tend to grow as long as whites/Asians...But with either/both of those, plus some time/patience, most folk can retain length.

Peace.

Proof that real, AFRICAN hair (Type 4b/5) CAN grow almost to your waist if you want it to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CgMLxZbvjg&feature=related

nucienuce1

:wallbash:This topic really got my attention. About 3 years ago I cut my BSL hair to about Jaw length and my black clients ( I worked at a bank) were coming in angry, my family members were fussing ,and so was my mom, mind you that this was like my fourth or fifth time cutting my hair. I just don't get why people get so uptight and they were telling me it won't grow back this time and blah blah blah. So in Oct I started growing my jaw length hair back and it is now APL, Im trying to tell family members how to do it for themselves but everyone tells me "I have good growing hair" WHATEVER!

deltagyrl

Short answer: yes.

I'm not offended though.

White women obsess over weight and almost all of them WANT TO BE BLONDES. Even if it doesn't flatter them

I see LOTS of WW with long, stringy, dry, bleached hair.
I see LOTS of WW with short, stringy, dry, bleached hair.

And black does crack. I see busted black women on the re-gu-lar.

Almaz

Oh goodness Yes I always see busted White women with nasty hair. Again I get so tired of them saying What kind of African I am to have long hair.

People are so stupid.