It Can't Just Be A Blowout

Bad&Bougee

One of my natural hair friends had her hair blown out back in July. A couple of weeks later she was complaining that her hair would not revert back to its natural state (she always wear wigs so I didn't see it after). Last week she mentioned it again. It has been 7 months, there is no way her hair has not reverted so I asked to see her hair. She pulled off her wig and her hair is straight. Straight like she has a relaxer. Granted, she has about 2 inches of new growth but the rest looks like relaxed hair.

The stylist had to have done something else. It is not possible for her hair to be this straight after all these months. I'm not sure what her hair texture is, maybe 3C/4A but it certainly should have reverted by now. My questions are:

What could he have done to her hair?
Is her hair damaged?
Should she cut it all off and start over?
Would a professional service repair her hair?

She has been doing all kinds of DCs, no professional services, but her hair is still limp and straight. Any advice, thoughts or comments?

Bad&Bougee

I've heard horror stories of salons (esp. Dominican salons) sneaking "smoothing agents" aka relaxing agents in their conditioners. Although its no impossible for her texture to be wiped out by high temps of heat especially if she has finer hair.

That's what I was thinking. He had to have used some type of relaxing agent. I have seen blowouts that were done with too much heat but their hair looked fried. Hers does not. And she found him online, never went to him before the blowout and it doesn't sound like he did a consultation. That's bad.

After I posted the OP, I pinged her. Her hair is 4B.

MzSwift

Oh no! It definitely sounds like some sort of permanent straightener was used on her hair without her permission. I've seen ladies post on here about that in past years and it's one reason I'm not comfortable having anyone else do my hair. I feel so bad for her! What a violation of trust!

Maybe she can just transition long term using styles to hide her hair like braid/twist extensions, crochet styles or wigs. Unless she's perfectly OK rocking short hair. Either way, BIG HUGS to her.

Bad&Bougee

Oh no! It definitely sounds like some sort of permanent straightener was used on her hair without her permission. I've seen ladies post on here about that in past years and it's one reason I'm not comfortable having anyone else do my hair. I feel so bad for her! What a violation of trust!

Maybe she can just transition long term using styles to hide her hair like braid/twist extensions, crochet styles or wigs. Unless she's perfectly OK rocking short hair. Either way, BIG HUGS to her.

That is a huge violation and shameful. She is mad and just wants to cut it off because she knows her hair isn't right. I found a really good salon for her - I'm going to tag along to the consultation and see what happens. These stylist need their :spank:

Thanks for your response @MzSwift.