It's just hair....right?

plove

I would say just cut it off because that's what i do all the time but I don't want you to go in to shock:lol:

It is just hair. So if you think you can live with it just cut it off.

I'm natural now but who knows for how long. This is my second time being natural. I didn't think about going natural the first time.
One day I was doing my hair and my hair said to me lets go natural
so I cut off all the relax hair and went natural and didn't regret it.
About two years later my hair said to me lets relax, so i went to the store and relax. then when i got pregnet my hair fell out in crown becaus I was very ill.
In Nov my hair said I have about 1inch NG so lets just cut it down to that and start all over and thats what we did. I just do what my hair tells me to do.
Like now my hair is telling me it wants to be long, so that is what we are going to do.

Last edited:

Shine-On

I am currently transitioning and with so many beautiful head of relaxed hair around me, at times I reconsider relaxing. The same goes for my sightings of texurized, loced, twisted, braided styles (I'm a mess). My remedy to keep me on track is to set my goal (which for now is long, healthy natural hair) and seek inspiration to keep me focused --> I do this by visiting the pages of my fotki friends. That normally helps to set me back on track. I suggest the same for you. Is there a particular style you are envisioning? Why not try a wig/braids to change things up a bit?

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
If you want to be an example of the fact that black women can grow long hair, thats fine and dandy, and by all means you should do so. However, you are not REQUIRED, to be this example, especially if you are not happy with your hair. It sounds almost like you are a source of pride to those who know you, and there is nothing wrong with that either, but you dont owe anyone anything in regards to how you wear your hair. You dont have to prove to anyone you or black women in general can do it. You've reached your goals and your goals have changed. You dont want length, you want hair you can style and be happy with. So go for what makes you happy. If you think its just restlessness, you may want to wait it out, but it will grow back if you cut it and decide you dont like it. No pressure, just do you. :)

pebbles

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Okay, here's the deal-le-o.
I have been going back and forth with the issues of my hair. I remember reading something about how our moderator, pebbles, relaxes and once she gets bored with it, she'll relax, get bored with relaxing, go natural again, and the pattern continues. It seems to me she has understanding of the concept of it JUST BEING HAIR!!
Anyway, I have been natural for almost 4 years and while I love being natural and I am waiting for my hair to be past shoulder length in it's natural state, I can say I am getting bored with it. I've been getting the urge to just CUT THIS MESS OFF!! I remember when I cut off my relaxed ends and began to style my hair, it was very difficult, but about two months later, I got the hang of it. My two strands were off da chain, my shake and go's were on the go-go, my puffs were puffalicious, my twistouts were banging and my favorite style, my 'phatty' two strand twists and twistouts were just too cute! Now, since it's getting longer, the above styles have been a great disappointment. Whenever I try to puff it up, my hair resembles a matted tumbleweed :look: My shake and go's are big no-no's and my two strand twists??? Can you say UGHHH!!
Eventhough I am going through all of this with my hair and it disappointing me, I still haven't grasped the concept of it just being hair. I am the only person in my family with long hair and you should just see their reactions whenever my length shows!! At my wedding shower, my hair was the highlight. Everyone was in awe at how it grew back :huh: after my big chop.
I was a bit uncomfortable (anybody else feel this way?) being put in the light about my hair. It was like I was an unfamiliar creature and everyone just had to say something or touch me to see if I were real. People make a big deal about my hair and it's length!! I remember when I would tell my mother I would cut my hair she would mention my 'grandmother rolling around in her grave if I cut it off!!!' Then there's me. Will I be disappointed with the turnout? Will I regret cutting my hair? Will I cry? Will my hubby have to deal with me pouting? :lol: I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am really searching deep inside of my soul to come to terms with my hair and it's hold on me. Why am I afraid to cut it off , especially since I am not thrilled with the length it is now? Anyone else out there feel me? Also, who has come to the realization that it's just hair, nothing more, nothing less?

You know what? I honestly don't think you should cut your hair just yet. My advice? Get to the goal you had set to reach. It's the waiting for your hair to grow to the length you want that's starting to get to you. And the fact that you can't do the cute styles from before doesn't help. But I think that if you cut it now, you'll be sorry that you didn't fight harder to reach your goal. I think this feeling is temporary. This too shall pass! :lol:

At least give it a month. If you still feel like this journey is getting to you and you really need a change, then start by cutting off 2 inches and see how you feel. If it doesn't bother you, keep cutting. But for now, keep your eye on the prize and press on towards your goal.

My philosophy has always been that it's just hair. I've never let my hair control me, and I've never let other people control my hair. It's here for my enjoyment. And if you think about it, for all the crap we put our hair through, the darn thing still keeps growing, no matter what kind of abuse we give it! Don't let it stress you out. Do what makes you happiest. But for now, hold on and don't cut it. Give it a little more time before making the decision to cut a significant amount of it. :kiss:

blackbarbie

I too have said the same thing once (well twice really:lol: ) upon a time. My hair has always been past BSL and twice I just got really bored b/c my old stylist wouldn't cut layers in it and I just told her to cut it to chin length and be done with it. (think the reason she wouldn't cut layers in it b/c she thought i would regret it; but I told her i was sure and i just needed a change)

She really didn't want to cut it but I am the one who had to remind her that "it's just hair; it will grow back". But for me, I was just restless and needed a change. Most people were so used to seeing me w/long hair and when they saw my BC, they were really shocked. I was happy with my cut and had to remind people that "it's just hair" whenever they saw me. You just think long and hard about it and if it makes you happy, then go with it, but if you aren't sure, I would definitely cut in stages to see if that's what you want.

BB