It's Long, but I Finally Have a Reggie!

MrsHdrLe

After two years, I finally think I have a reggie that’s gonna work for my hair and type.

First the stats:
4ab, medium to fine strands, relaxed, sl

My history:
I tend to have a lot of shedding/breakage, but after cutting from bsl in December, the amount of strands tend to be fewer broken strands. I have trimmed 1” twice since my bc and can now confidently say that my hair is healthy. I started my journey in Feb 2009, and to me, that sounds about right. I does take a while to learn your hair, figure out what works best, jump on band wagons, jump off band wagons, break up with stylists, become a DIYer or find a new one you trust…

Well, I can say that I started with sl in 2009, grew to apl that year, over stretched (for my hair), under processed, over stretched again, and under processed (while missing a whole patch of hair on the same strands), despite major breakage and shedding all along, I went on and did a salon applied corrective in September and my breakage diminished greatly, but the damage had already been done. One side of my hair was thinner and my pony tails, while long, were quite anorexic. I did get to bsl in November of 2010, but decided I was done with whatever damage I’d already done before I started caring for my hair and wanted a new look and fresh(er) start.

I go to the salon for a retouch now every 12-14 weeks, that’s not much of a stretch, but I’m comfortable with it. I get a solid .5” a month, so I’m due for progress. I do plan on having my ends trimmed (as necessary) every 3 months to catch and problem spots before they get out of order. I have a new stylist ( found him on Yelp and love him. We’ve been together about 3 months now, but I frequented him bi-weekly in the beginning with general washing, conditioning and styling so see his methods and build our relationship. I generally know what to do for my hair now and really only see the need to go monthly, and of course for my retouches and trims.

Now for my Reggie:

Shampoos: Hair One w/ Argan Oil twice a week unless I’m due for a clarify, in which case I use Giovanny 50/50 Balanced. My hair stylist uses the Moroccanoil line and steams me.

Conditioners: (Used in rotation as needed) Alter Ego Garlic Mask at least monthly. Salerm for dry hair, I’m trying to use this up, it’s been fine, but Moroccanoil/argan oil is my new love. It works really well at combating dryness. I have the Intense Hydrating Mask (deep conditioner) and the Moisture Repair Conditioner (for co-washing). I also give my self a shot of protein with Nexxus Emergencee as needed too, but I may have previously over done it with the protein and am now concentrating my efforts on moisturizing. If I’m home flat ironing (about once a month), I use Chi Infra Treatment in my final condish. I have also started using One and Only Argan Oil in my final rinse. Apparently my hair loves argan oil, so I use it whenever I want/need a little boost of shine or moisture on straightened hair.

Daily care: wrap or twist (depending on the style I’m maintaining) I just started using the Beautiful Curls leave-in and/or Curl Reviving Tonic as necessary. I tend to leave my hair alone a lot. I do comb/brush out the shedding hairs at least twice a week. I love roller sets, but hate the time it takes to get dry. I usually air dry in twists, then either wear curly or straighten on med heat (after applying Silk Elements Mega Silk heat protection) if I’m going somewhere special.

My hair tends to swing and bounce very well, I’m not quite sure if that means my hair is thin or thick, but I’m glad I can wear a no heat style and still have a bouncy look/feel.

Whew! You still there? I know that was a lot, but I bolded the products for you speed readers and of course there’s pictures! (Feb 2009, Sept 2009, fall 2010, bc 12/2011, today respectively)

Finally I want to thank every member here for her/his contribution. You all have informed, entertained, supported, and cheered me in some way over my two years here. Every time I think of “Quittin’ you”, I jist “Cain’t. I Cain’t Quit Y’all!”
Love and Peace,
Angela

Attachments

• hair journey feb 09 001.jpg
    hair journey feb 09 001.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 79
  • hair journey sept.09 026.jpg
    hair journey sept.09 026.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 82
  • P1050380.jpg
    P1050380.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 76
  • new bob II.jpg
    new bob II.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 83
  • P1060444.jpg
    P1060444.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 84

My Friend

Congratulations! If you accomplished those lengths while you were figuring it out, I'm sure great lengths are in your future.

MrsHdrLe

Update! Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?! A lady at the gym recommended this when I told her I love Moroccanoil, but hate how expensive it is. I was looking for a cowash condish that wouldn't leave me broke, I accidently bought the "poo", but read the ingredients and figured I'd give it a try. Squeaky clean feeling, but not drying! I then put the condish in for a few minutes, add Agran Oil, t-shirt dry in twists, bun or style. Yeah, AOHSR, who knew?

Shadiyah

Sorry for your loss but it will grow back. glad to hear that you have everything under control now.