Its Official Salt is the stuff.. Thanks Justkiya

Tamrin

unapologetic
Some of you read my post about QP DPR -11 and how badly it need me last night. Well today I decided to co wash with my new kirkland conditioner 6.99 you cannot beat it. I tried to detangle in shower with conditioner and running water. Nothing. Its liked my strand wrapped themselves around eachother. Hair all over the tub. My head felt like brillo due to DPR-11, that stuff is the debil. :wallbash::wallbash:

While in the shower I realized it could be my filter. I pour my coffee rinse on my hair, it felt soft. rinsed. Hard hair again. I look for replacement filter, I have none. I put on my clothes. Slap on some conditioner on my head, bun it ,hop in the car off to home depot. Get there, they had no filters, no replacement, no customer service in sight. Pissed I keep forgeting black neighborhoods get no customer service in sight. Im freezing in NY 35 degree weather with wet hair. Hop back in car drove to my nearest white hood. They had a lot of them. I grabbed 4 filters.

Got home installed filter. Hop back in shower applied all my good conditioners AO HSR no slip hair wont budge. I tried Kenra, did not work. Cheapie conditioner, nope nothing either. I tried the Kirkland nope.
I decided I'm going to detangle by slapping a whole pot of silicon mix on my hair( been dying to get rid of it too). Could barely get the comb thru.

So as I stood in my kitchen getting water to drink, with silicone mix on . I look up, guess what I see? My sea salt grinder. I remembered how soft it made my hair. Ladies, I started grinding that salt like I lost like I was nuts. Slapping it on my hair as I grind. I put on my heating cap and DC for 10 minutes. Went to rinse. That shower comb glided thru 20 weeks of NG like butter. Well ladies. Salt saved my life. My hair is back to normal, soft wavy and fully detangled. Thats all due to some DANG kitchen salt. Who would have thought?

Thanks JUSTKIYA.

kbragg

I keep wanting to try this but I'm scurred the salt will relax my hair (since Lye is nothing but Sodium Hydroxide):nono:

Tamrin

unapologetic
I keep wanting to try this but I'm scurred the salt will relax my hair (since Lye is nothing but Sodium Hydroxide):nono:

Its moisturising. There are a lot of good salts. Just don't abuse it in my opinion. In my case it worked wonders.

JustKiya

That's a fabulous story, and I'm so glad that it worked for you! I had to lay some salt on my hair this weekend, and might be doing the same next......

I keep wanting to try this but I'm scurred the salt will relax my hair (since Lye is nothing but Sodium Hydroxide)

There's a huge difference between Sodium Chloride and Sodium Hydroxide... and I've been using it for a while, and there's nothing even vaguely relaxed about my hair. :lol:

JustKiya

WOW....so how do you do it?? And does it have to be sea salt??

A teaspoon (don't go too much over) of salt (sea salt, table salt, either is okay) to about 8oz of conditioner. Apply, let stand for 20 minutes or so, and enjoy the lusciousness. :lol:

There are several threads on it, too.

Keen

I haven't read the salt thread. I'd be scared to put salt on my hair. It seem as if it would be drying to the hair.

Miamori

I haven't read the salt thread. I'd be scared to put salt on my hair. It seem as if it would be drying to the hair.

Salt is actually one of the ingredients in my Shescentit poo, which I find relly moisturizing. :)

Irresistible

I tried it

It was actually non drying but clarifying in a hard to explain kinda way, But it did strip all the oils, took me a minute to figure out what my hair needed back after I did it, Oil and protein, then it was perfect! Better than before

Irresistible

Some of you read my post about QP DPR -11 and how badly it need me last night. Well today I decided to co wash with my new kirkland conditioner 6.99 you cannot beat it. I tried to detangle in shower with conditioner and running water. Nothing. Its liked my strand wrapped themselves around eachother. Hair all over the tub. My head felt like brillo due to DPR-11, that stuff is the debil. :wallbash::wallbash:

While in the shower I realized it could be my filter. I pour my coffee rinse on my hair, it felt soft. rinsed. Hard hair again. I look for replacement filter, I have none. I put on my clothes. Slap on some conditioner on my head, bun it ,hop in the car off to home depot. Get there, they had no filters, no replacement, no customer service in sight. Pissed I keep forgeting black neighborhoods get no customer service in sight. Im freezing in NY 35 degree weather with wet hair. Hop back in car drove to my nearest white hood. They had a lot of them. I grabbed 4 filters.

Got home installed filter. Hop back in shower applied all my good conditioners AO HSR no slip hair wont budge. I tried Kenra, did not work. Cheapie conditioner, nope nothing either. I tried the Kirkland nope.
I decided I'm going to detangle by slapping a whole pot of silicon mix on my hair( been dying to get rid of it too). Could barely get the comb thru.

So as I stood in my kitchen getting water to drink, with silicone mix on . I look up, guess what I see? My sea salt grinder. I remembered how soft it made my hair. Ladies, I started grinding that salt like I lost like I was nuts. Slapping it on my hair as I grind. I put on my heating cap and DC for 10 minutes. Went to rinse. That shower comb glided thru 20 weeks of NG like butter. Well ladies. Salt saved my life. My hair is back to normal, soft wavy and fully detangled. Thats all due to some DANG kitchen salt. Who would have thought?

Thanks JUSTKIYA.

To be honest it could have been the old filter playing a part in the whole situation with your hair all along, as well as having changed it to a new one, Then the added salt- I remember salt having something to do with helping with hard water-which is why I tried it:yep:

Dposh167

Ill admit. The salt thing actually works. I used it with a cheapie like loreal vive pro conditioner...And it made my hair soft..the similar softness i get when i dc. I just pour conditioner then sprinkle sea salt in the same hand. I dont even have to use a tsp

RedVelvet310

COOO-SIIIGGGNNINNGGGG

This salt mix is amazing. I mix this with my cheapie conditioners and call it a DC. I know.. bad me.. but I'm a poor college student, can ya blame me?

I LOVE THIS STUFF!

Naturelle

I'm going to try this salt/conditioner mix next co-wash

Off topic a bit (sorry OP), but I'm thinking if most people are having issues with DPR because they are trying to detangle with it (it does not have slip for that it will be the death of you if you try) or if they do not use heat when they dc...

I know that with the most 'revered" AO Honeysuckle rose, when I bought two bottles the first time and used it by itself, I was ready to kick her in the neck...I did not have slip, deep conditiioning was a "yeah right" and whoever says she smells great kudos to you...I prefer to be locked up with henna for 3 days straight.

But then I realized "You know what? My AO Honeysuckle is just sick." So I doctored her up added some 'holy' distilled water and honey 'healing" balm and she is a wonderful companion. We get a long just fine now :yep:. She just can't be naked around me. She acts a hot mess when she is.

Last edited:

Table or sea salt will not relax the hair, otherwise we'd all be dead from eating it. The only thing it would do is probably dry out your hair if you used too much. So go ahead and try it, you'd might be surprised. I definitely didn't think VO5 conditioner could ever make my hair feel so soft. The salt made a world of a difference.

SundaiMorn

I am going to add 1/4 tsp of lemon juice, baking soda, and sea salt to some DPR-11 (cuz I did not like it by itself :sad:). Maybe I will finally get some use of this con. I'll be back with results at the end of this week. And hopeful I will finally post some pics since my bf bought me a digital camera for my b-day:happydance:. Wish me luck.

JustKiya

Salt works in moderation...a little goes a long way!

And I want to re-emphasize this, because I KNOW how we like to go overboard.....

Seriously ya'll, a TEASPOON to EIGHT to TEN ounces of conditioner seems to be about PERFECT.
Use too much more, and your hair will be HOT at you. Use too much less, and you won't see a difference. If you don't use 10 oz of con on your head on a regular like I do ( :look: ) then decrease the amount of salt proportionately - 1/2 tsp to 4 ounces, 1/4 tsp to 2 oz, so forth and so on.

I've also spoken to a couple of ladies who have used 'leftovers' - ie, mixed up a bunch, and came back to it later - and most of them have said that their con turned watery, but all who have used it, have had the same good results....... if that helps, any.

I think that most folks are using it about once a week - I know there were a couple of ladies who were really excited about it and planned on using it more - but I haven't heard any feedback from them, and personally, I would suggest sticking to once a week/as needed. :yep:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
And I want to re-emphasize this, because I KNOW how we like to go overboard.....

Seriously ya'll, a TEASPOON to EIGHT to TEN ounces of conditioner seems to be about PERFECT.
Use too much more, and your hair will be HOT at you. Use too much less, and you won't see a difference. If you don't use 10 oz of con on your head on a regular like I do ( :look: ) then decrease the amount of salt proportionately - 1/2 tsp to 4 ounces, 1/4 tsp to 2 oz, so forth and so on.

I've also spoken to a couple of ladies who have used 'leftovers' - ie, mixed up a bunch, and came back to it later - and most of them have said that their con turned watery, but all who have used it, have had the same good results....... if that helps, any.

I think that most folks are using it about once a week - I know there were a couple of ladies who were really excited about it and planned on using it more - but I haven't heard any feedback from them, and personally, I would suggest sticking to once a week/as needed. :yep:
Bumping this October 22nd for the Hidden Gems thread!!!

snoop

I'm puzzling over how to add it to my line up. I make ayurvedic clay masks and don't use conditioner after. Maybe I'll add a small amount to the mask? I guess there's only one way to find out...

snoop

I'm puzzling over how to add it to my line up. I make ayurvedic clay masks and don't use conditioner after. Maybe I'll add a small amount to the mask? I guess there's only one way to find out...

@Chicoro I'm bumping this thread.

I was taking a look at the Morocco Method "shampoos". They're all clay washes! Not only that, they all contain sea salt!

I'm game for experimenting, again. It seems like I was on the right track in terms of how to proceed.

https://shop.morroccomethod.com/collections/shampoo