I've learned my lesson.

dannie

I\'ve learned my lesson.

I just decided to share the fact that i am offically done with hairdressers. After my burnt scalp/verbal abuse situation on Saturday I've made my decision. I was browsing old post today and too many of us have had bad experiences with stylist. One mistake can cost you months of growth and I am no longer willing to take that chance . Anyone else sick of stylist?

inthepink

Re: I\'ve learned my lesson.

[ QUOTE ]
dannie_19 said:
One mistake can cost you months of growth and I am no longer willing to take that chance .

[/ QUOTE ]

One mistake can cost you years of growth, also.

I am so afraid of stylists right now. I haven't been since the end of December and I'm planning to go at the end of May for a trim AFTER I straighten it myself.

jasmine

YES. since my bad experience last week, i'm done with stylists. some people have been blessed to find remarkable, caring, attentive stylists. i have never met one.

i've decided to go back to pressing my hair. i'm eventually go back to my natural hair anyways..

kitchen_tician

i feel your pain dannie 19 and i agree. no more salons. they seem to do more harm than good. i go in with long luxurious hair and come out with chopped off strands. well, no more. of course that's my personal experience, but also my personal challenge as well.

NO MORE SCISSOR HAPPY FOLKS AND SALONS IN 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO MORE!!! NO MORE!!! NO MORE!!! IN '04

patience

Sounds like it's time for ALL of you to learn to do your own hair. Stylists are good but YOU are ultimately responsible for your own hair. There are PLENTY of resources available to help one learn to properly care for their own hair. Since you all have had bad experiences, <font color="blue"> take some initiative and DO YOUR OWN HAIR!!! </font> At least if you do it yourself, you didn't PAY someone to jack you up.

ricochet

[ QUOTE ]
Maestradiva77 said:
Yep, "do-it-yourself" hair care is a beautiful thing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

Angelicus

I can't go to a salon anymore. they made me curse. it hurt so bad you guys, I never knew it could hurt so badly. Don't go!!

SherryLove

I hear you all the way....If you can do it yourself, go for it....you will most likely do a better job while saving yourself some money.....

lthomas1

Hair Power!

Back in 1998 a hair dresser burned off the length of my hair and I never returned to any salon.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo

I only go to a stylist for a touch up. I have even cut that back to every three months. The woman I go to knows this about me and respects that. Every now and then she may say that I need a trim but never even picks up the sicssors unless I tell her to. (That hasn't been in about 2 years)

She does a very good job doing a touch up and she only charges me $35 for the touch up because after she is done she wraps my hair or roller sets and I leave to dry my hair at home. Yup I walk out with wet hair. I dry and style at home. Mostly because I love my hair to air dry.

Healthb4Length

girl I feel your pain...last year in 03 a hairstylist literally yanked the hair out of my head during relaxing, so I had 9 inches of hair all over and 2 inches of hair in the middle sections. Luckily I have voluminous hair and no one noticed. She hacked off 2.5 inches of my natural hair that wasn't damaged and then after she relaxed she cut off another 1.5 inches and she had the nerve to try to over charge me! Luckily with the advice and tips from this site my hair has grown back fairly quickly, I am going to get it done this weekend, the stylist that I will go to was used by another member sweettrini and she had stellar results, I am nervous, but I did have a consult with him and he was very knowledgeable, I have faith in him and will post pics to show results.

UmSumayyah

So should we start a "do-it-yourselfers" thread? I know we have some but I think we could use another. Hmmm...

Falon

I have sworn off hairdressers. I have gone back to being a do it yourself girl. I do EVERYTHING! Relaxer, trim, style whatever. And whatever I don't know how to do I will learn on my own. I rather destroy my hair on my own then pay someone to do it for me.

Aisha

I agree w/Falon...my hair is thriving w/o a stylist and now that I can find Mizani online or in the BSS I am never going back..most hairstylist aren't knowledge about "hair" they now how to "style" that is about it...as far as techniques for caring for relaxed hair especially, most women are educated about how to treat chemically treated hair..I wish I would have found this board when I was younger...save my self some lost inches..

LEOLADYSW

I am not going back to a stylist either. I have learned in the last year how to do everything myself, and my hair is longer and healthier than when I was paying big bucks to a stylist.

TrustMeLove

I want to learn how to do everything myself too, but some things im too scared to do. Like my own relaxers and trims so I go to the salon every 10+weeks to get those things done.

But I definetely do all my own hair styles and everyone thinks that I just came from the shop when I do. So you know I have skills hehe :-D

I just remember when I use to have friends family members doing my relaxers and all the overlapping so im just tramutized. Plus I haven't had a bad salon experience since finding a good stylist in la around 8 months ago except this last time I believe she underprocessed me but im not trippin I believe it will all work out for the good.

But if anyone has a way to relax safely on your own let me know. Thanks?

-Faye

UmSumayyah

We have a few self-relaxing threads on here.
I think more and more of us are gradually learning to do it on our own.

Karonica

The only time I may go back this summer to the salon is for a haircut. The style I have in mind I can't cut myself, but since I won't be getting touch-ups anymore, I'll be saving big bucks.

candibaby

i feel your pain, but i'm too scared to relax my own hair, and i dont trust anyone else to relax my hair either. my ex-stylist was good about relaxing my hair.. it's just that she's scissor happy, that's why i stopped going to her.

i haven't been to a stylist in almost 2 months, (last touch up), but i will be going to another one in august for my next touch up. i'm going to my sister's stylist then, she's doing my sister's hair some serious good! so hopefully she will do the same for me. i will be watching her like HAWK with everything that she does.

i'm not completely sick.. but i'm gettin there.

dannie

I can do my own touch-ups, but my mom encourged me to go to her stylist. Never again. I read a post about using a applicator bottle while touching up. I think that might be my answer because it's really hard to overlap when you have control over where the perm is going. It also is supposed to be quicker than applying it with a brush. (think squirting mustard onto a hotdog).

cocoa2122

I was very blessed to have a wonderful stylist who specialized in hair care. He knew everything there is to know about the scientific side of the chemicals he puts on his client's hair. I realized though, that since I will be moving soon, I wasn't willing to risk losing years of hair growth by accidentally going to the wrong stylist. This was all I needed to convince myself to stop relaxing and start wearing my natural hair, learn to do my own trims, etc. I have had bad experiences in the past with hair stylists though.