I've made all the mistakes

I\'ve made all the mistakes

I'm usually pretty good when it comes to avoiding mishaps when it comes to my hair, but this summer I did everything wrong. In May, I got the urge to highlight my hair. I did so, but I did not like the results. Instead of having blond streaks, I had orange (just imagine the orange-colored Crayola crayon). So to avoid walking around with orange hair, I got my hair braided (medium-sized individual braids). When I'm in braids, I always baby my hair and make sure its in good condition. I decided to keep them in (on and off) until August, but in mid-July, I got the urge to take my braids out (I was missing my length). Before I took them out, I made an appointment with a local upscale white salon to have a color correction performed on my head. STRIKE 1! I took my braids out 2 days before the appointment. On the day of, the stylist dyed my hair black (to go darker was better he said otherwise to go lighter would weaken the hair even more). A week and a half later, I decided to relax my hair because I hadnt done so since June. STRIKE 2! I though my new-growth was so unmanageable that I purchased a super relaxer (I could have just used a regular relaxer) and left it on for 20 minutes ( STRIKE 3! )!! When rinsing the relaxer out, I noticed my hair began to fall out (we're talking very long strands of hair, not short pieces). When gently combing my hair to prepare for a rollerset, my hair began to fall out even more (I would say about 2 and 1/2 times the daily amount of hair) /images/graemlins/shocked.gif! I began to freak out and I almost cried because my hair was falling out. I thought to myself and concluded that the double processing of my hair in a short amount of time caused my hair to become extremely weak. After that night I began to baby my hair even more with surge everyday, protective styles and deep conditioning treatments with every wash. By the end of August, I was in need of another relaxer (thanks to biotin). I was nervous about relaxing because of what occurred during the previous one. Yes, some hairs did fall about (about 100 or so) but definately not as much as the last time. Surging and babying my hair helped. About two weeks ago, I got my hair braided once again and my mother (the braider) did notice a very, very small area on the left side of my head where my hair was very short (about one inch in length and I'm 2 inches from my bra clasp). I later asked her if she noticed any other areas like that one and she said no. The area is so small that you cant see it unless you were going through my head with a comb. Now when I think of it, I do remember that side of my hair buring more during the first relaxer applicaton. Now that my hair is braided, I have decided to continue being gentle with my hair and to make sure its well maintained (keeping it moisturized and surge'd).

Would you ladies have any other tips on what I could do to continue to lessen the breakage while in braids (and even when I'm out of them). Like I stated earlier, I the breakage was much less during the second relaxer application than the first one, MUCH LESS. So I must be on the right track. I though about relaxing again in December, but now I may just extend that till the spring and continue wearing braids till then.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions ladies!

model_chick717

Re: I\'ve made all the mistakes

It looks like you're on the right track. I think you should just wear the braids for a while--any style that requires minimal manipulation of your hair would be best.

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
STRIKE 1! I took my braids out 2 days before the appointment. On the day of, the stylist dyed my hair black (to go darker was better he said otherwise to go lighter would weaken the hair even more). A week and a half later, I decided to relax my hair because I hadnt done so since June. STRIKE 2!

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/ill.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
STRIKE 1! I took my braids out 2 days before the appointment. On the day of, the stylist dyed my hair black (to go darker was better he said otherwise to go lighter would weaken the hair even more). A week and a half later, I decided to relax my hair because I hadnt done so since June. STRIKE 2!

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/ill.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I know. I just cant believe I still have hair on my head. What I did over this summer will be something I will never ever do again /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif. My hair must be made of steel!