Jacked up edges/ how to prevent overlapping

Avaya

Hello Ladys,

I tried to do a search but I wasn't sure what key words to use. I have the worst, ragged looking edges ever and I feel this is do to overprocessing/overlapping of relaxer. The rest of my hair is fine, very thick, healthy 3c/4a/4b, 3 inches from bra strap length (probably less than that, I have about 1 inch worth of new growth).

I have read of others who, when they get their touch-ups, don't relax the edges. I plan on having my stylist do this when I go for my next touch up (May, June). My question is, what are some products you put on your hair to make sure no overlapping occurs?

Also, what do you do to tame your fuzzy edges while the rest of your hair is straight?

Thanks for all replies!!!!!

L

LaNecia

One of the things I've found that works for protecting the hair is: Prior to a touch-up, the hair that has already been processed should be coated with a heavy oil or a conditioner like Queene Helene Cholesterol Treatment to prevent overlapping.

To tame my edges, I use ORS Olive Oil and Sta Sof Fro, tie the edges down w/a scarf when I'm not out and about or prior to and during a workout session. I've that keeping the edges moisturized has gone a long way towards reducing the frizzies and puffy edges I used to have so much of.

Just to add: some product lines, I KNow Vitale does but I can't remember the same of the product, have what they refer to as a Pre Relaxer treatment. Basically, you apply the product to the hair you do NOT want processed again, leave on for a few minutes, then proceed w/your relaxer application. I use this procedure for my mom's hair, works like a charm.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lkg4healthyhair

Affirm has a pre treat that you put on your already relaxed hair. I forget the name of it. I think its Profecto or something.

My edges took a beating from post pardum shedding but they still look neat because I give them xtra attention. I use NTM leave in at night and put a silk scarf on them. In the am my hair is so soft and lays nice and flat. I just bought some temple balm by ORS this may help grow your edges back.

I sometimes will put WGO or PC oil on them also...give them some TLC night and day.

L

LaNecia

lkg4healthyhair said:
Affirm has a pre treat that you put on your already relaxed hair. I forget the name of it. I think its Profecto or something.

'Protecto!! That's it:

Affirm® Protecto

A patented organic BiocompHlex, applied along the entire hairshaft, especially to new growth area, prior to relaxing.

Rich, positively-charged compounds attach electronically to negative sites along the hairshaft.

Penetrates deep within the hair fiber during relaxing. (Protector® accomplishes significant conditioning at this stage because during the straightening process, the hair's pH is relatively high (13.0-13.5) and the cuticles are open wide).

Effectively repairs trichorrhexis nodosa (damaged areas along the hairshaft), resulting in a smooth realignment of damaged fibers. Flyaway split ends are repaired as well.

Eases wet combing and minimizes shedding.