Jamila Henna?

Lavendar

I have been reading the henna threads with great interest! Thanks ladies for such great info. The thought of mixing and buying the right products and not knowing what color I may get is totally intimidating to me. Just when I finally caught on to what BAQ henna means, someone mentions Jamila. Can someone kindly tell me what the difference is between Jamila and the regular henna sold by Catherine? Thanks!!;)

WomanlyCharm

The Jamila is Catherine's "special stash". :)
It apparently gives really deep, amazing color...it's more expensive than the regular stuff, but according to those who use it, it's totally worth it.
I ordered some and can't wait to use it.

I know Sareca will be replying to this thread soon...she seems to be the jamila expert 'round here! :lol:

Neroli

Jamila Henna is the kind that grows in Pakastan and is apparently of much superior quality than those grown elsewhere (India, Morocco, Yemen, etc.) Read about the different kinds of henna here: http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/growing/Pakistan/

Catherine is not the only one to sell Jamila, if you do a google seach for "jamila henna" you'll find lots of other websites, like these:

http://www.henname.net/henna.html (based on my research, this is the cheapest place to purchase but if yall find it elsewhere cheaper, PLEASE let me know.

http://www.hennasooq.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=1

http://www.hennacaravan.com/shop/henna.html

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/henna_kits.htm

Lavendar: Don't be intimated and you can know with certainty what color you will obtain by conducting a "harvest test" where you save hairs from your brush/comb and test them in different mixes before doing your entire head.

HTH

sareca

WomanlyCharm said:
The Jamila is Catherine's "special stash". :)
It apparently gives really deep, amazing color...it's more expensive than the regular stuff, but according to those who use it, it's totally worth it.
I ordered some and can't wait to use it.

I know Sareca will be replying to this thread soon...she seems to be the jamila expert 'round here! :lol:

Tee-hee. :grin:

Cosigning w/ my henna girls. Jamila stains darker faster and there are none of the 'leftovers' that make rinsing henna a pain. Jamila is the same price as all the other hennas sold by mehndiskinart.com. Catherine from hennaforhair.com charges more. Don't get me wrong I've loved the other BAQ hennas I've used, but my least favorite thing about henna is rinsing the leftovers (little veins and leaves) out. When I started using Jamila I feel in love with henna all over again. :dinner:

Last edited:

Lavendar

I got it! Jamila is BAQ henna of a higher quality. Thanks so much ladies! Neroli, thank you for the encouragement. I'm convinced. I'm going to take the henna plunge and get me some Jamila!!!:D

deborah11

Does jamila henna come in neutral as i don't want to color my hair? I just want want the condiitoning properties of henna for my hair.

sareca

deborah11 said:
Does jamila henna come in neutral as i don't want to color my hair? I just want want the condiitoning properties of henna for my hair.

Unfortunately no, Jamila is red henna. :( You could use Jamila without releasing it, but you'd still have some color deposited it just wouldn't be much.

Tee

I am going to use this brand. Serace....How much are using (100mg??) and what color. I want black hair. But it's so many option on the page i dont want to get lost and get the wrong thing.

I keep reading about red. will the red darken the hair. Help, just a little lost. I need to start covering grays that keep popping up here there but i dont want any permantant color to damage my hair.

WomanlyCharm

Letitia said:
I am going to use this brand. Serace....How much are using (100mg??) and what color. I want black hair. But it's so many option on the page i dont want to get lost and get the wrong thing.

I keep reading about red. will the red darken the hair. Help, just a little lost. I need to start covering grays that keep popping up here there but i dont want any permantant color to damage my hair.

To get really black hair, you'll want to do a two step method, as reccomended by some henna users.

First you dye your hair with the henna...leave it on for a couple of hours and your grey hairs will turn bright red. Don't be scurred, that's just the first step! ;)

After that I do a 2/3 indigo 1/3 henna mix on my hair...and get a super shiny dark brown with just a hint of auburn highlights. To get jet black, just use the indigo by itself.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Tee

WomanlyCharm said:
To get really black hair, you'll want to do a two step method, as reccomended by some henna users.

First you dye your hair with the henna...leave it on for a couple of hours and your grey hairs will turn bright red. Don't be scurred, that's just the first step! ;)

After that I do a 2/3 indigo 1/3 henna mix on my hair...and get a super shiny dark brown with just a hint of auburn highlights. To get jet black, just use the indigo by itself.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Thanks so much!! This will be the way I go for hair color! How often do you Henna. (sorry for all the question.)

sareca

Letitia said:

Henna is red. Indigo is blue-black. I started using henna to cover my gray after a bad temp dye experience. Henna will make grey hair orange, but orange blends better w/ dark hair than white. Indigo will make them a coppery red brown color. I have to search to find my grey hair now and I have the perk of crazy henna shine and conditioning.

I just finished telling ekomba how I indigo my hair... http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=1623982&postcount=8. I mix up about 300mgs but I usually have some leftover.

WomanlyCharm

Letitia said:
Thanks so much!! This will be the way I go for hair color! How often do you Henna. (sorry for all the question.)

I've done it twice so far, with great results each time...the second time I just mixed the henna and indigo together, and didn't have to do the two step process.

I plan on using henna and/or indigo at least once every couple of weeks.

Neroli

SARECA! SARECA! I hold you totally responsible for this flagrant disregard for my bank account, especially since I have over 350 grams of perfectly good FNWL henna. I just order 400 grams of jamila henna powder from http://www.henname.net/henna.html for $29.00 (22.99 + $7 S&H).

This don't make no sense and if that jamila ain't the TOTAL ISH, ima come looking for you . . .

sareca

Neroli said:
SARECA! SARECA! I hold you totally responsible for this flagrant disregard for my bank account, especially since I have over 350 grams of perfectly good FNWL henna. I just order 400 grams of jamila henna powder from http://www.henname.net/henna.html for $29.00 (22.99 + $7 S&H).

This don't make no sense and if that jamila ain't the TOTAL ISH, ima come looking for you . . .

:lachen: :lachen: ...and when you find me you'll be giving me a big 'ol :kiss:. Jamila is the last word on henna.

Neroli

sareca said:
:lachen: :lachen: ...and when you find me you'll be giving me a big 'ol :kiss:. Jamila is the last word on henna.

Girl, you know I will be giving you smoochies for days! You're the one who got this whole Henna Revolution going and you haven't steered me wrong yet so I ordered 400 grams (not 100g, not 200g, not 300g, but 400g of the stuff 'cause I have feeling you're totally right, as usual!).

Plus, I've been researching jamila and all the different kinds of henna and where they're cultivated and how they're different and WHY they're different and there's just a UNIVERSAL agreement that jamila henna from Pakistan is the highest quality most superior henna on the planet. And there you are pushing the stuff like a dang drug dealer. Soooo, what's a henna junkie like me gonna do? *shakes head* It just don't make NO kinda sense . . .

sareca

Neroli said:
Girl, you know I will be giving you smoochies for days! You're the one who got this whole Henna Revolution going and you haven't steered me wrong yet so I ordered 400 grams (not 100g, not 200g, not 300g, but 400g of the stuff 'cause I have feeling you're totally right, as usual!).

Plus, I've been researching jamila and all the different kinds of henna and where they're cultivated and how they're different and WHY they're different and there's just a UNIVERSAL agreement that jamila henna from Pakistan is the highest quality most superior henna on the planet. And there you are pushing the stuff like a dang drug dealer. Soooo, what's a henna junkie like me gonna do? *shakes head* It just don't make NO kinda sense . . .

:lachen: :lachen: Wait... I can't breathe, I can't breathe. :lachen: :lachen:

Neroli

Okay, I received my jamila henna today and already have a batch waiting for color release so I can henna tomorow. My recipe:

-50 grams jamila henna
-1/2 distilled water & 1/2 red wine vinegar - warm, not hot

Mixed up to form a soft pudding like paste, cover with plastic and then aluminum foil. My mix is now sitting in the boiler room which is the warmest room in my house.

The jamila is much much smoother than either mehandi or FNWL henna. It is super fine and mixed up nice and easy without any lumps. I will review results tomorrow after using.

I order 400 grams and received 4 boxes (100 grams each) and the boxes are labeled: Superior Quality Henna Jamila manufactured by: Abid & Company (Pvt) Ltd., P.O. Box 270 Lahore Pakistan. Since 1963 www.jamila.com.pk Made in Pakistan. Super Sift, Summer Crop 2006. MFG June 2006. Exp May 2009.

The 400 grams cost $29.99 total ($22.99 + $8 S&H) and I received within 3 business days of ordering.

ClassicChic

too be honest I don't know one single thing about henna coloring. I will do a search. One question (or two)..........is it safe for natural hair? Is the color permenant?

sareca

Cherokee said:
too be honest I don't know one single thing about henna coloring. I will do a search. One question (or two)..........is it safe for natural hair? Is the color permenant?

That should help. http://journals.fotki.com/Serica/ It's still a work in progress. I just started working on it and all 'the girls' haven't weighed in yet so keep the link. It will be evolving over the next few weeks.

Last edited:

LovelyLionessa

Neroli said:
Okay, I received my jamila henna today and already have a batch waiting for color release so I can henna tomorow. My recipe:

-50 grams jamila henna

Mixed up to form a soft pudding like paste, cover with plastic and then aluminum foil. My mix is now sitting in the boiler room which is the warmest room in my house.

The jamila is much much smoother than either mehandi or FNWL henna. It is super fine and mixed up nice and easy without any lumps. I will review results tomorrow after using.

I order 400 grams and received 4 boxes (100 grams each) and the boxes are labeled: Superior Quality Henna Jamila manufactured by: Abid & Company (Pvt) Ltd., P.O. Box 270 Lahore Pakistan. Since 1963 www.jamila.com.pk Made in Pakistan. Super Sift, Summer Crop 2006. MFG June 2006. Exp May 2009.

The 400 grams cost $29.99 total ($22.99 + $8 S&H) and I received within 3 business days of ordering.

I love this recipie, I think I'll try it. I've got some ACV and red wine vinegar too. Maybe I'll try using the ACV first. :scratchch

So Neroli, you use 50 grams of henna? I seem to remember you have long hair right? On the Henna for Hair site I know they have these guidelines:

100g will dye short hair.
200g will dye collar length straight hair.
300g will dye shoulder length straight hair.
500g will dye waist length hair.

My hair is brastrap length and I would be going through henna like mad (and money) if I used those amounts all the time. I used 400 grams for my first treatment, but I plan on using less for the follow up conditioning treamtents. How long is your hair Neroli, and do you consider your treatment to be a "henna glossing?" Sorry for all the rambling! TIA :D

sareca

Neroli said:

-50 grams jamila henna

:yay: Jamila's in the house. I immediately noticed it was different. It was a different color and much different texture. It even smelled different to me. It goes on the hair different and rinses different too. I didn't know Jamila was superior when I brought it. The vendor recommended it and I'm now making henna oil out of all my other brands of henna. :yep:

Neroli

@Priestess: My hair is bra strap length and I started out using 100 grams of henna but have learned to use 50 grams -- I do my roots first (gotta cover those greys!) then i apply what's left over to the rest of my hair -- 50 grams is quite enough to spread very thinly throughout my entire hair lenght. My first henna I used 100 grams and i think it was necessary to get my whole hair done; going forward, I just do what seems to work and while those guidelines are helpful, I'm a rebel on a budget . . .

@Sareca: Girl, this Jamilia looks, smells, and mixes different -- the texture is OBVIOUSLY different -- much smoother and more refined. I can't WAIT to henna tomorrow! uhmmmm you know I hold you totally responsible for this extra expenditure from my bank account. I mean, what am I supposed to do with all this FNWL henna? What?! Sareca, girl, you got a lot to answer for. . .

Last edited:

LovelyLionessa

Neroli said:
@Priestess: My hair is bra strap length and I started out using 100 grams of henna but have learned to use 50 grams -- I do my roots first (gotta cover those greys!) then i apply what's left over to the rest of my hair -- 50 grams is quite enough to spread very thinly throughout my entire hair lenght. My first henna I used 100 grams and i think it was necessary to get my whole hair done; going forward, I just do what seems to work and while those guidelines are helpful, I'm a rebel on a budget . . .

Oh, that's so good to know, thanks so much Neroli. I'm a fellow rebel on a budget too! :lachen:

That amount sounds especially good since I plan on using my henna treatments as pre poos mixed with other goodies like mayo, conditioner, and oils. It's like throwing a little party in my hair. :party:

I'll tell you, rinsing out those 400 grams wasn't pretty. I think I went through 2 bottles of cheapie condish and gallons of water to get it all out. This should work much better. :grin:

ETA: I just checked my henna jar and it was actually 113 grams not 400 grams I had previously used on my hair. That was more than enough for my initial treatment and half that amount should suffice for all subsequent treatments.

Last edited:

Neroli

Okay, my first "jamila experience" has been very very good indeed. It was waaaay easier to apply to my hair and rinsed right on out. I usually have to go thru about 8 or 9 sinkfuls of rinsing before the water runs clear. With jamila, sink water was clear after 3 sinkfuls.

My hair is now about 90% dry and I just checked the color in bright sunlight and it's all good. The color is pretty much the same as cheapo FNWL and the texture is same strong, resilient and soft, so no significant different in RESULTS - I have the same golden red where my greys were and a rich deep reddish brown on the rest of my hair -- but, the application and rinsing is worth the extra $$$ for jamila. I ordered 400 grams and only used 50 in this application, so I have enough for the next couple of months and will purchase again, budget allowing. But. I won't hesitate to use FNWL when the funds are low . . .

I used 50 grams jamilia and mixed with solution of 1/2 red wine vinegar and 1/2 distilled water. Let sit about 20 hours and applied to 'dirty' dry hair. Left on hair for 1 hour 45 minutes, rinsed and apply moisturizing condish and left on for 20 minutes.

alexstin

I haven't even received my order from FNWL but I'm already thinking of ordering the Jamila. I can't stand the rinsing out process.:(

sareca

Nothing else about henna bothers me. I don't mind the mess, the smell, or the bleeding, but I despise rinsing. :( Try sifting your FNWL henna. You might be able to make it rinse easier.

CynamonKis

I think I'll pass on the Jamila, for myself. I have tried it and really don't see much of any difference between this and regular henna, although many have said that the quality is superior. In fact, Jamila seems to color my hair darker, and my preference is for the reddish color, other than of course on the gray in my front hairline. But that's just me...

Neroli said:
Jamila Henna is the kind that grows in Pakastan and is apparently of much superior quality than those grown elsewhere (India, Morocco, Yemen, etc.) Read about the different kinds of henna here: http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/growing/Pakistan/

Catherine is not the only one to sell Jamila, if you do a google seach for "jamila henna" you'll find lots of other websites, like these:

http://www.henname.net/henna.html (based on my research, this is the cheapest place to purchase but if yall find it elsewhere cheaper, PLEASE let me know.

http://www.hennasooq.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=1

http://www.hennacaravan.com/shop/henna.html

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/henna_kits.htm

Lavendar: Don't be intimated and you can know with certainty what color you will obtain by conducting a "harvest test" where you save hairs from your brush/comb and test them in different mixes before doing your entire head.

HTH

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I think someone was supposed to send me some of this stuff, but I never got it. I didnt know it was supposed to be a better quality. I think I'm just going to use what I get at the healh food store. (light mountain)