January 2016 : Hits & Misses

MsSanz92

Revisited hit: Toque Emergencia Intense Moisture Split Ends Treatment

This is my new staple deep conditioner! I've used this product in the past and I think it works better now that they changed the ingredients. It's super moisturizing and smells great, plus it's affordable and comes in larger tubs (32 oz). I paid $7.50 for a 16oz jar. The old ingredients had mineral oil and now it doesn't, which is even better. I don't mind mineral oil in a few products, but if I can avoid it that's great. Will be picking up the larger tub as my hair gets longer

New hit: Motions Pre-Wash Detangling Butter - this made detangling after removing my sew-in a breeze! Plus it doubles as a prepoo by itself so when you shampoo your hair, it gives extra moisture so your hair doesn't get too stripped

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Hey lol ! Me again, is the QB ghee sticky or leave residue ?Have you tried the burdock cream before ?

@Kindheart

I used CTDG as a Relaxed Head so I don't think I could fully appreciate everything it could do (as a Natural).

I used it on wet-hair to detangle with and it worked perfectly.

When I was using it as a Relaxed Head I was using it on Dry Hair (as a moisturizer).

I am under the dryer with it, so everything has melted in.

No not sticky or tacky at all. Wet & Creamy.

I would imagine if you used it heavily and air-dried, you could potentially have white-residue.

Yes, the Burdock Root and the Amala & Heavy Crème are always purchases (when they have a Sale). Also the Abcdefg Butter.

I think you'd like Burdock Root. It is a tad lighter than the AOHC.

curlyhersheygirl

Revisited hit: Toque Emergencia Intense Moisture Split Ends Treatment

This is my new staple deep conditioner! I've used this product in the past and I think it works better now that they changed the ingredients. It's super moisturizing and smells great, plus it's affordable and comes in larger tubs (32 oz). I paid $7.50 for a 16oz jar. The old ingredients had mineral oil and now it doesn't, which is even better. I don't mind mineral oil in a few products, but if I can avoid it that's great. Will be picking up the larger tub as my hair gets longer

New hit: Motions Pre-Wash Detangling Butter - this made detangling after removing my sew-in a breeze! Plus it doubles as a prepoo by itself so when you shampoo your hair, it gives extra moisture so your hair doesn't get too stripped
@MsSanz92 I've been hearing good things about this. If only I could find it where I'm at. Thanks for the review

Kindheart

@Kindheart

I used CTDG as a Relaxed Head so I don't think I could fully appreciate everything it could do (as a Natural).

I used it on wet-hair to detangle with and it worked perfectly.

When I was using it as a Relaxed Head I was using it on Dry Hair (as a moisturizer).

I am under the dryer with it, so everything has melted in.

No not sticky or tacky at all. Wet & Creamy.

I would imagine if you used it heavily and air-dried, you could potentially have white-residue.

Yes, the Burdock Root and the Amala & Heavy Crème are always purchases (when they have a Sale). Also the Abcdefg Butter.

I think you'd like Burdock Root. It is a tad lighter than the AOHC.
Great description MrsT :) I think I ll give this a try in the near future ,I m normally not heavy handed with products so it should be fine !

Aggie

Was a hit now on the fence:

Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Aloe Conditioning Balm - this seem to just sit on my hair this morning and when I layered some Mizani Moisturefuse on top of it, it worked better.

Now moving forward, I'll only ue it as a prepoo mixed with some ceramide oils and/or butters. It should be fine this way. If not, I'll just give it away.

Beamodel

Not a Hit - Not a Miss

My final assessment on Joico Recovery Balm is... It's not for me. Although I'm half natural, half relaxed. I wear my hair straight daily.

The joico weights my hair down big time. I think it's probably much better if your hair is left in its curly state.

My hair does feel soft and moisturized but that's from the silicones in the product. Overall I will most likely not repurchase and I might not use it up either.

I prefer dc's without cones in them since this is the step where you are to receive most if not all of your moisture from.

I know Joico Balm is a fan favorite for most of this board but I'm gonna have to pass on it.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
A downgrade to meh (was a clear hit for years):. Roux Porosity Control Conditioner

I loved this product for years. It really turned things around for my hair with continued use (via the cumulative effect) early on in my hair journey. There are plenty of old threads where I praised this product highly. However, somewhere along the way, they reformulated the products and not for the good. It really hurts my heart to know that I won't be repurchasing this again.

mzteaze

Not a Hit - Not a Miss

My final assessment on Joico Recovery Balm is... It's not for me. Although I'm half natural, half relaxed. I wear my hair straight daily.

The joico weights my hair down big time. I think it's probably much better if your hair is left in its curly state.

My hair does feel soft and moisturized but that's from the silicones in the product. Overall I will most likely not repurchase and I might not use it up either.

I prefer dc's without cones in them since this is the step where you are to receive most if not all of your moisture from.

I know Joico Balm is a fan favorite for most of this board but I'm gonna have to pass on it.

Did you get the heavy version for coarse hair (balm) or the thinner version (lotion) for fine hair?. Not trying to convince you but it's possible that you have the wrong version for your hair, especially if it's weighing your hair down. Just a thought since most folks don't know there are two versions of this product.

Aggie

A downgrade to meh (was a clear hit for years):. Roux Porosity Control Conditioner

I loved this product for years. It really turned things around for my hair with continued use (via the cumulative effect) early on in my hair journey. There are plenty of old threads where I praised this product highly. However, somewhere along the way, they reformulated the products and not for the good. It really hurts my heart to know that I won't be repurchasing this again.
Me too. I had to throw two new bottles in the trash. I refused to give that garbage to someone else:nono:.

Beamodel

Did you get the heavy version for coarse hair (balm) or the thinner version (lotion) for fine hair?. Not trying to convince you but it's possible that you have the wrong version for your hair, especially if it's weighing your hair down. Just a thought since most folks don't know there are two versions of this product.

You might be on to something. I got the thick corse one. Thanks for bringing that up.

MsSanz92

I know this was awesome for me back in the day too, but the reformulated version sucks! This definitely helped keep my hair balanced and cuticles sealed. I'm on a mission to see if any stores still have the old version in stock.

mzteaze

I know this was awesome for me back in the day too, but the reformulated version sucks! This definitely helped keep my hair balanced and cuticles sealed. I'm on a mission to see if any stores still have the old version in stock.

Let us know if you find it. It is the only product I bought two bottles and kept in the shower in a special pump bottle. I couldn't even think of a similar product as a replacement.

MsSanz92

Let us know if you find it. It is the only product I bought two bottles and kept in the shower in a special pump bottle. I couldn't even think of a similar product as a replacement.

The one product I can think of that's kind of similar is by Joico it's called Cuticle Sealer it's from its K Pak line. I've never used it, but it's kind of hard to find and much more expensive because it's a professional product and I think it only comes in a 33.8 oz size.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Continued Hit: Keracare Sulfate Free 1st Lather, and Hydrating Detangling Poo. Tha Bomb!

Continued Hit: Oyin Hair Dew, Whipped Pudding, and Burnt Sugar Pomade. :lick:

Smell Hit: Curls Blueberry Bliss line. The smell isn't chemically or strong. I was worried, but couldn't pass up the BOGO.

Instant Hit: Alter Ego Garlic Mask.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Revisited hit: Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Leave-In. Soft, silky, moisturized hair. I could go a full week without remoisturizing. And the smell... :lick:

Hit: Green tea rinses. Reduced shedding after only 3 uses. :toocool:

Miss: GNC closing at 8 when I wanted to go buy some oils after I left the gym. Everything else in the plaza closes at 9. Except freaking GNC :angry2:

BrownBetty

Hit!!!!!!!

Shescentit

Blueberry Cowash - this smells divine and it is so moisturizing! I will def reorder.
Rich moisture Con - I applied this to my hair and it sunk right in. I left it on for probably 1.5 hours with a plastic cap. When I washed it out my curls were popping, soft, and shiny.
CocoCream leave in - Yesssss Lawd! This mad my hair soft and easy to detangle. It sank right in.
Honey buttercream - I love the consistent it left my hair moist but not no heavy.

I did a twist out after washing my hair. My day one hair is everything I have wanted since starting my natural journey! Soft, moist, fluffy!

I need back ups of everything!

CodeRed

Hit: Joico Moisture Recovery Conditioner

I really like how this makes my hair feel. It's very hydrated without being oily or mushy and it's nice and smooth. This is definitely a keeper... after I get through all the other rinse out conditioners I want to try :look:

athenat

Miss: Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker....my hair is the hottest mess I've ever seen in my whole entire life....lol. A ball of frizz puff. But I'm keeping it. Why u say? Because this has been the nicest puff I have had in years...lol:afro:
I did return the Camille Rose Moisture Milk and the Curlaide. Looks and feel too synthetic/chemical to me for a natural product.

BrownBetty

Miss: Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker....my hair is the hottest mess I've ever seen in my whole entire life....lol. A ball of frizz puff. But I'm keeping it. Why u say? Because this has been the nicest puff I have had in years...lol:afro:
I did return the Camille Rose Moisture Milk and the Curlaide. Looks and feel too synthetic/chemical to me for a natural product.

Yeah the curl maker is interesting. I think it will be better used in warm weather.

mzteaze

Interesting review considering the review I watched with the creator or the products seemed to indicate that she made the products as natural as possible because of her kid's health issues. I've never tried therm but this would be a turn off.