January 2019: Hits & Misses

ms.blue

Miss: MO Pomegranate and honey moisturizing detangling shampoo. That mess isn't moisturizing nor detangling. My hair felt so stripped of any type of moisture. Second shampoo I've used from this line that was a miss.

Tentative Hit: MO Pomegranate and honey leave in. By itself, it does pretty much nothing but paired with a moisturizer, my hair stays moisturized.

Hit: Oyin handmade frank juice. I forgot how much I really liked the product as a refresher spray.

OG Hit: APB Honey and Molasses deep treatment. My hair liked this conditioner when I lived up north but now that I live down south, my hair LOVES this conditioner. My hair looks sooo good after rinsing the treatment out.

Hit turned Miss: Revlon paddle brush. I sang the praises of this blowdryer but realized it was causing my crown to break off a lot (the hair on crown is fine unlike the rest of my hair). It didn't click to me until I used silverbird blowdryer and lost way less hair.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Hit:
ST'icals Marula Muru

Miss:
Consistency issues with the ST'icals Marula Muru (it's loose like lotion - although I think I've had it 'thicker' like a Creme before?).

Initial Hit:
Curls Dynasty Pumpkin & Mint DC'er

Initial Miss:
Curls & Potions Rice Water and Bamboo Rinse (Definitely "USER" Error:eek:) Will try it the intended way, next Wash Day.:look:

syrk

Unfortunately Adwoa Beauty was a miss for me. Heard great things so I bought the sample pack which includes the shampoo, DC, Leave In, styling cream, oil and gel. Was excited to try it, but it something about it didn't agree with my hair.

Spent an hour carefully detangling in small sections then shampoo'd in twists like I usually do. Hair felt nice enough at this point. Then I applied the DC all over the twists and went to do a more thorough DC application taking down the twists one at at time.

Between the shampoo and DC, not sure, my hair was getting a bit tangled and I wasn't getting much slip from the DC at all. Wasn't feeling it. Rinsed it out and applied my tried and true TGIN Honey Miracle Mask instead and didn't bother trying the rest of the line. Oh well.

Last edited:

BeautifulRoots

HIT
1. Using whipped Shea butter on my hair. It's been a couple years since I've used shea butter. I revisited it this week and it's been a game changer. My hair seems really happy and moisturized since I've been using it.

2. Using regular shampoo. I've been using natural shampoos the past few years. I noticed that over time my hair seemed dull. I never thought to look into the shampoo I was using. I thought surely it was getting everything clean. Nope. Used a regular shampoo and I was amazed how much cleaner my hair felt. I learned that if I do use natural shampoos, I will have to make a point to clarify regularly which I wasn't doing before. Or just use a regular old shampoo once a month to get out any extra buildup.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Unfortunately Adwoa Beauty was a miss for me. Heard great things so I bought the sample pack. Then I applied the DC DC, not sure, my hair was getting a bit tangled and I wasn't getting much slip from the DC at all. Wasn't feeling it.
@syrk
Hate to hear this.:mad:

I bought x2 of the 8oz DC'ers. Wasn't planning on getting anything else from this Line, but this is good to know.:ohwell:

Glad you got the "Sample Pack" too.:nono:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Hit&Miss: 5+ inch haircut to even out my hair and get rid of some damage. I haven’t been this short in years (lots of trimming to maintain MBL or WL), so it’s such a rude awakening for me!! Hoping to have the fullest MBL hair I’ve ever had in 4 months!:cry3:
Hit: BTZ Smooth Criminal trio: primer spray, blowout balm, and thermal protect spray
Left my hair super light and fluffy and I got full reversion too! Also smells really nice, kinda faintly like cotton candy perfume.

Mega Hit: KISS Comb Straightener. It gave me the perfect amount of straightness I look for, kind of a sleek blowout, without the drama of the brush straighteners or blow dryers.

Lita

Continued Hit-
My hair is still responding very well to rice water..

Hit-
Putting rollers on the ends of braids & twists is keeping the single knots away..

Hit-Whipped Shea Butter mixtures on length/ends

Miss-Still waiting for packages from December..Come on companies..:(

Happy Hair Growing!

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hits:

Shescentit Royal Honey and Argan buttercream, great at reducing the bulk of kinky hair when applying to dry hair. It smoothed the hair down and defined it. Im using the sample I have to remove shed hair as Im taking down my box braids. I guess this is the reformulated Honey buttercream. It has avocado oil high up so today the hair that is out, is harder than I would like but its still a nice product. Might be better in the summer due to the honey.

Devacurl Buildup Buster

Im taking down my box braids and losing hair where the buildup is after removing the braided hair. Thought about this and its working great. Take a little, apply to the spot where the buildup has the hair tangled, and keep smoothing in. It detangled the hair and removed the build up with minimal loss. I'll keep using this for the next two days to get all the braids out.

Miss

Buildup when wearing box braids

Ive only used a light leave in once, but the oils and xcel I spritz daily built up a lot in the back. I'll have to stick to ACV to keep my hair/scalp clean in the next protective style.

Sally.

Hit:

Adding ayurveda powders to conditioners I am trying to use up that are not working on my hair as well as they used to. The powders and oils make the conditioners work well on my hair again.
What a great idea! Which powders are the most moisturizing? Or strengthening? Or effective in other ways?

Also do you add the powders right before you deep condition or do you let the powders sit in the deep conditioner so that they can infuse over time? If so, how long do you suggest to let the powders infuse?

metro_qt

Super HIT:
the 8 oil moisturizing gelee by Up North Naturals.
It's basically a strong, soft gel that has given me the best wash n go ever, soft fluffy curls and i'm on day 5.
It was used on me at the hair salon, and now I have to find it and purchase it for myself.
I've heard the whole brand is great.

Aggie

What a great idea! Which powders are the most moisturizing? Or strengthening? Or effective in other ways?

Also do you add the powders right before you deep condition or do you let the powders sit in the deep conditioner so that they can infuse over time? If so, how long do you suggest to let the powders infuse?
Firstly, read through this thread https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...ce-excerpt-from-cherie-ayurveda-vol-1.194049/ - it will help answer many of your questions plus bookmark it to access easily later.

I add my powders directly to my conditioner with a few drops of essential oil (peppermint, lavender, rosemary and maybe some tea tree). I like the tingle on my scalp.

If you have any leftover, it's fine because the essential oils help to preserve the mix for a couple of weeks. You may also refrigerate it for the 2 weeks. I just finish up the jar or just mix enough to use on wash day and deep condition as usual with it.

HTH

Kindheart

Hit :
Honey baby conditioner
Bourne beautiful deep conditioner
Camille rose twisting creme
Taliah waajid mist

Cont hit:
Oyin hair dew
Lush solid shampoo honey I washed the kids

Miss :
Mielle cowash . Did Not clean jack s. It left my hair feeling dirty smelling dirty and had to wash it the next day . Awful.

Last edited: