January 2021: Hits & Misses

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
@naturalyogini I did not use Aloe Vera powder, I used fenugreek. I will order some Aloe, thank you!

@Bette Davis Eyes @mzteaze I will incorporate both suggestions. Thank you!

fenugreek and henna together is super potent. Definitely add something moisturizing in. I don’t use aloe Vera because I’m protein sensitive and it would be like a triple threat for myself.

I would at least up your DC sessions. @keranikki

Rastafarai

Major Hit
LaBelleDinie Haitian Black Castor Oil

il_340x270.2279568584_c91l.jpg

I've been in search for the real HBCO as I've read its more potent than JBCO. I've had great results with JBCO but wanted to see how it compared to HBCO. I wasn't too keen on trying the highly commercialized Kreyol Essence version of HBCO, which is not the pure, dark or potent version used in Haiti.

I came across the above vendor on Etsy and think I've found my new staple for any and everything castor oil. This stuff is the truth and absorbs right into my hair, leaving it shiny, soft and supple. The consistency is thick but not as sticky as the Sunny Isle Extra Dark JBCO I've used. I mix it with other oils with no issues and when I say my hair is soft, I mean its buttery soft. I'm so happy to have found the real deal and will be purchasing quite a few more bottles to ensure I never run out. Black Castor Oil has changed my hair length, strength, thickness and shine and I can't live without it.

Last edited:

secretdiamond

Revisited:
HIT/MISS - Squalane oil - still a hit for my hair. But my face? Broke me out. I finally figured it out today. It's the only new thing I've added that coincided with these closed comedones in places I have never had acne (cheeks, forehead) and takes forever to heal. So mad because it's marketed as a safe oil for sensitive skin and acne-prone skin.
ETA: Bumps are still popping up. It may not be the squalane now. Haven't applied any oils to my face. It may be the new moisturizer I bought. Going to switch that too and see if my face improves.

MISS (still) - MCT oil. It made my hair parched and brittle. So, to use up the bottle, I tried it as a pre-poo. But that only lead to crispy, wet hair that dried crispier. Had to clarify last wash to get the crispiness out. May try it on my face as a replacement for squalane.

Last edited:

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
The Superior Shea is the best shea I've ever used for sure! SO glad I tried it. It is not Nilotica but so good! I bought it because it apparently has good lab results for all that stuff .. you know less bad and more good compared to others including Nilotica according to that blog I read (I an forgetting the details bcuz they aren't important but it being one of the best in lab testing is what I remember )
Super hit ... also argan of course. These two are my dream team.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Revisited:
HIT/MISS - Squalane oil - still a hit for my hair. But my face? Broke me out. I finally figured it out today. It's the only new thing I've added that coincided with these closed comedones in places I have never had acne (cheeks, forehead) and takes forever to heal. So mad because it's marketed as a safe oil for sensitive skin and acne-prone skin.

MISS (still) - MCT oil. It made my hair parched and brittle. So, to use up the bottle, I tried it as a pre-poo. But that only lead to crispy, wet hair that dried crispier. Had to clarify last wash to get the crispiness out. May try it on my face as a replacement for squalane.
Squa always broke me out EXCEPT the shark derived Mayumi one (have tried Haba again and again as well and Mayumi worked but Hana broke me out each time did half face trials)
for some reason AND only if I added some drops of rose oil to it.

I experimented a ton with all kinds of ingredients and batches ..
Found rose was best on me
Without the rose it was a no go
Exact recipe was
80 mL squalane (have also halved it with MCT)
5 drops frankincense 5 drops myrrh

3-5 drops of rose undiluted version (expensive stuff but worth it ) with 2 drops geranium
OR 7 drops rose (I tried different ones I forgot which one worked best on me I believe it was Bulgarian from eden botanicals)

1-2 drops ylang ylang

Would then take this and mix in 40 more mL of squalane.
Would dilute with a lotion like Avene tolerance extreme cleansing to apply and blot off after some time.
But rose and squa I also found worked. The above worked better that's all
It's a good combo anyway for me and my sons nurses lol

Last edited:

secretdiamond

Squa always broke me out EXCEPT the shark derived Mayumi one (have tried Haba again and again as well and Mayumi worked but Hana broke me out each time did half face trials)
for some reason AND only if I added some drops of rose oil to it.

I experimented a ton with all kinds of ingredients and batches ..
Found rose was best on me
Without the rose it was a no go
Exact recipe was
80 mL squalane (have also halved it with MCT)
5 drops frankincense 5 drops myrrh

3-5 drops of rose undiluted version (expensive stuff but worth it ) with 2 drops geranium
OR 7 drops rose (I tried different ones I forgot which one worked best on me I believe it was Bulgarian from eden botanicals)

1-2 drops ylang ylang

Would then take this and mix in 40 more mL of squalane.
Would dilute with a lotion like Avene tolerance extreme cleansing to apply and blot off after some time.
But rose and squa I also found worked. The above worked better that's all
It's a good combo anyway for me and my sons nurses lol
Thank you! Nice to see someone else battling the same issue.
I’ve avoided all oils the past few days, and my closed comedones are diminishing. My face is not as “glowy” but it confirmed my suspicion of squalane. May look into the shark one.
ETA: My skin started popping up some CC again. smh. May not be the squalane. Will update.

Last edited:

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Thank you! Nice to see someone else battling the same issue.
I’ve avoided all oils the past few days, and my closed comedones are diminishing. My face is not as “glowy” but it confirmed my suspicion of squalane. May look into the shark one.
I am sure I overcame it last yr during autumn I think n that coincided with using this concoction
along with Avene foaming cleanser n tolerance extreme cleansing lotion as a moisturizer which I'd been doing
Hibiclens also worked equally or better on me than De la Cruz Sulfur ointment (looked it up on makeupalley for instructions)

I I had something come up that resembled it recently (the stage when it's just coming on)

which turned out to be from baggying hair with products

(Once with APPLE cider Vinegar)
Soon as I stopped that

I mean minutes after taking off the baggy that rash horrible feeling.. it stopped ! After that the breakout died down to nothing too. Baggy method is not for me

good luck !!!!

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
The Superior Shea is the best shea I've ever used for sure! SO glad I tried it. It is not Nilotica but so good! I bought it because it apparently has good lab results for all that stuff .. you know less bad and more good compared to others including Nilotica according to that blog I read (I an forgetting the details bcuz they aren't important but it being one of the best in lab testing is what I remember )
Super hit ... also argan of course. These two are my dream team.
I'm worried this is the reason for lips randomly cracked n bleeding .. that or the new Reggae Red lipstick I got. Sigh

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Hit = satin wig cap to 'press down' the tufts of crown hair . It's like a skullcap (which I've seen Jewish men wear) so the sides can still stick out allowing for a shape and can braid that. Also can wear under winter knit hat to look less manly.
Which I will always look like a man
Ibut at least not a wannabe punk one

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
New hit

Nurcreations ACV scrub with rhassoul clay. It’s a low foam cleanser that cleans buildup off your scalp. Loved it. Wasn’t expecting it to be a cleanser. Very gentle. Little messy because of the scrub action but as soon as water hits it, it starts to melt down.

Last edited:

toaster

This month I’ve been loving the Doux Pop Lock Glaze. It’s a one product wash and go for me that gives me a strong hold and elongates my wash and go. I wash twice a week and my hair still feels soft right before wash day. I don’t think it’s the most “moisturizing” product, but I also don’t think it’s drying.

I’m also still enjoying carols daughter wash day delight shampoo. It just leaves my scalp feeling fresh and my hair feeling clean. I use it every Sunday.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Continued Hit....
Melanin Hair Care Leave In
as a curl refresher and detangler​
a) after wash day, I undo my 4 plaits and break them down into smaller twists using the Melanin Leave In. I don’t like it as a leave in. It leaves my hair shiny and soft.​
b) it’s amazing at detangling hair. Some times my old braid/twist outs gets knotty at the ends. It provides amazing slip on the ends when retwisting the hair or prepping to wash.​

lovelycurls

Continued hits
Oyin handmade dew....moisturized hair for days.
Homemade hair oil and butter mix - stimulates scalp, helps hair growth.

Hits
Washes hair every 2-3 weeks - less breakage, less dryness.
Deep conditioning hair every other week.
Rosewater - refreshes hair when not washed, makes hair smell good too.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
The biggest hit for me turns out to be my purchase of a 30 min virtual session with a trichologist. Really enjoyed the session, she focused right into the issues I thought I had and confirmed that I had /have two-prong hair lost. I lost hair due to low vitamin D and low ferratin numbers BUT I was also losing hair at my crown because of a hormonal issue. The good news is that she thinks I can get it turned around in roughly 2 months, so I will give her program a try.

Not bad for a $19 virtual session. The cost of the program is $$$$ but it can split into 4 payments OR you can use FSA as long as you discuss that with her first.