Jesus' Resurrection

PinkPebbles

I discovered a delightful comfort this week in the Gospels. As I compared the four accounts of Jesus' resurrection, a wonderful truth came to light that has struck a chord of joy into my soul. Once again, the utter humility and personal touches of our Lord form a thread, a lifeline throughout Scripture. He was the God of the masses, but He was the God of one. He still is the God of the masses. And He still is the God of one. The God of me. The God of you.

What hit home to me was the fact that each Gospel writer tells us where Jesus went after He arose from the tomb. But not only do they tell us where- they tell us who He intentionally chose to spend time with:

Matthew: Mary Magdalene, the other Mary, all eleven remaining disciples.

Mark: Mary Magdalene {16:9-"He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils"}, Mary the mother of James, Salome, two disciples, all eleven disciples.

Luke: Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and "the other women that were with them," two disciples on the road to Emmaus, one being Cleopas, and the other Simon.

John: Mary Magdalene, ten of the disciples except Thomas, then eleven disciples including Thomas, and fishermen Simon Peter, Thomas, Nathanael, the sons of Zebedee, and two other disciples.

I don't know about you, but as I observe these whereabouts of our Lord, I think of many other places He could have gone. And sadly, I think those are the places where, had we been in that same situation, we would have gone.

He could have gone straight to the palace to see Pilate, to righteously flaunt Himself and His defiance of death. You thought you succeeded in killing me. What do you think of your success now?

He could have gone to the square and drawn a crowd- that same angry mob that stood days earlier screaming at Him, mocking Him, rebelling against His life, raging for His death, asking for His blood on their hands. He could have shown them their blood on His hands. He could have gotten revenge and set the record straight. Now whose blood is on your hands? How are you going to make this right?

He could have searched out the soldiers who did the dirty work of the actual crucifixion. He could have returned the favour and killed them. Let me demonstrate who actually has the power to kill.

He could have even raised Judas, His betrayer, to life and rebuked him. Guess the money didn't satisfy, did it? Was it really worth it?

He could have gathered all the people who didn't believe Him before His death, and compelled them to believe. See, I told you. Believe me now?

He could have gone to the temple and gathered His own followers; He could have given a great speech about Himself and His power, and outlined His plan for them to continue His legacy on earth.

But He didn't.

If not to those people, then to whom did He go?

He went to His friends. He needed to check on His friends, so He sought them out, went to where they were, met them each in their unbelievable places of unbelief. He walked their dusty paths, sat at their tables, stood in their gardens, came to their ships, appeared in their upper rooms, and even took the time to cook and feed them nourishing food. He nurtured their hearts while He nurtured their souls, preparing them for His coming ascent to Heaven. He arose in full memory of each of His friends, still knowing their specific needs and planning to meet them.

I don't know about you, but this portrait of Christ's tenderness and personality just overwhelms me with awe. His humility, His human care, His gentle assurance. And I know, I just know, that had I been on earth during that time, He would have come to me. He would have come to you, too.

There are always big things going on- a natural disaster here, an epidemic there, a person dying with cancer here, a country at war there. Have you, like me, wondered {though we know it's silly} if, how or why He would come alongside you in order to administer personal care in the exact way you need it, day in and day out?

And yet He does. This is a part of our God that we can't begin to comprehend- that in the face of the important and the big, He is willing to come to the small. Stay as long as it takes. Feed you. Nurture your doubting heart. Open His hands and let you touch. Stir in His love and gentle grace like a gardener gently works fertilizer into the soil around a struggling plant. Cup your face in His hands and turn your eyes to His. Open them to see what He sees, after He's fed your heart with His words.

He left the tomb.

He left the tomb and went.

He left the tomb and went to His friends.

He left the tomb and went to His friends first.

Today, in your struggle, in the aftermath of your latest battle, in the endurance of the mundane, in the shattered relationship, in the process of your grief, in the foggy complexities of your life, in the instability or heartache of your ministry, in the health issues that don't have answers, in the ache of loneliness that won't leave...Jesus will come to you first.

He doesn't just have thirty minutes on His calendar before He has to leave and take care of something bigger. You are the something bigger. He's here for the long haul, willing to faithfully tune your heart to His, little by little-

For as long as you both shall live.

Can any one of us resist the offer of eternity with our Friend? He has a void too- not a flaw or insufficiency- but one He created because He desires communion with you and I. He's lonely for you, and heaven is too long to wait.

XOXO,
A Kindred Spirit
Leah

Galadriel

Thank you so much for sharing this! As we draw closer to the days of the Lord's death and resurrection, I'm just in awe of what He did for us, and how we can always turn to His Word.

Texasdymond

That was beautiful. I never really payed attention to who he visited after he left the tomb. I guess the focus was always that "he arose." Thanks for sharing that.

PinkPebbles

Thank you so much for sharing this! As we draw closer to the days of the Lord's death and resurrection, I'm just in awe of what He did for us, and how we can always turn to His Word.

Yes...it's amazing. I look forward to Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday. Something amazing happens when Believers get together and worship the Lord...

That was beautiful. I never really payed attention to who he visited after he left the tomb. I guess the focus was always that "he arose." Thanks for sharing that.

I said the same thing!!! It truly shows the heart of our Savior :).

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Thank you PinkPebbles for this beautiful Message and reminder.. The site may be down.. So God's love and peace to everyone this Resurrection Day!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Thank you for sharing such a beautiful message Pink Pebbles. God bless you. :love2: