Jheri Juice / Curl Activator - The Best Thing For Length Retention? 2018 Revival

Britt

How are you guys wearing your hair while using this?

When I was natural my mom convinced me to give S curl a try for moisture and my twist out was moisturized and SUPER greasy and my hair swoleeeee! My hair was actually damp. I think the combo of the humidity in the air and the glycerin content. It did make my hair soft but even when I used less it caused swelling and that damp/wetness to my hair.

aishae

How are you guys wearing your hair while using this?

When I was natural my mom convinced me to give S curl a try for moisture and my twist out was moisturized and SUPER greasy and my hair swoleeeee! My hair was actually damp. I think the combo of the humidity in the air and the glycerin content. It did make my hair soft but even when I used less it caused swelling and that damp/wetness to my hair.
The same thing happened to me when I used it for a braidout. I guess it's the glycerine attracting all the moisture from the air and causing the style to go limp/frizzy. Literally within seconds of stepping outside my hair was a MESS!

I use it for bunning now and it's the best thing to come my way since I began my hair journey. My scalp dryness has disappeared (although that may be due to laying off the heat tools) and my hair has increased in elasticity which means i have to be on point with my protein treatments. I definitely recommend you reconsider S-Curl for bunning!

aishae

I'm back to using Scurl after a year of trying out other products. nothing could compare to S curl it keeps my hair moisturized all day. I am heavy handed with it but my hair loves it so much so its not a problem.
Did you happen to try Wave Nouveau? It's one of the only ones I haven't tried and I'd like to know how it compares

sunflora

Flowah Powah
You might like S-Curl - it's paraben and mineral oil free. Who knows, it might be your new staple!

Here are the ingredients: Deionized Water (Aqua), glycerin, Cetearyl alcohol, propylene glycol, Argan Oil (Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil), Olive Oil (Olea Europaea Fruit Oil), Acetamide MEA, Ceteth-20, Olealkonium Chloride, Stearalkonium Chloride, Panthenol (Provitamin B5), Simethicone, DMDM HYDANTOIN, Disodium EDTA, fragrance, Benzyl Benzoate, linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, limonene, Coumarin, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone

I remember using this in college. Not a fan of cones these days but I might revisit. I don't remember having any complaints.

sissimpson

Have you tried a branded activator? If so, how do the results on your hair compare to your homemade mix?
I used store bought jerry curl juice back inna day. Quite a few years ago! My hair was long and thick then, but alas! age happens! The store bought stuff kept it nice and moist, cant remember the brand, probably something from Ultra Sheen. My homemade juice does a great job, I use it almost every day.

Britt

The same thing happened to me when I used it for a braidout. I guess it's the glycerine attracting all the moisture from the air and causing the style to go limp/frizzy. Literally within seconds of stepping outside my hair was a MESS!

I use it for bunning now and it's the best thing to come my way since I began my hair journey. My scalp dryness has disappeared (although that may be due to laying off the heat tools) and my hair has increased in elasticity which means i have to be on point with my protein treatments. I definitely recommend you reconsider S-Curl for bunning!
I could see how it would work for my hair if it were longer and able to bum. But right now I have a twa lol ! That glycerin would have my hair in an Afro lol

PlanetCybertron

It’s not so much about products as it is, methods and techniques.

I used S-Curl way back when I first started out, but it wasn’t so much the product as it was just be constantly putting my hair up in a bun for years.

I don’t really find S-Curl to be thick. But I kind of like it for that since it doesn’t weigh my hair down at all, but I will say that it’s not any more smoothing or laid the cuticles down on my hair more than other products I’ve used.

I’ve retained large amounts of length with just plain old tap water and serious Bunning no sealing or anything else, so I would say it mostly comes down to technique more so than products.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Move out the way ya'll......Me and the Juice are taking the stage!

I love Scurl Curl Activator. Even in 2018, yes, I leave grease stains where my head was.

aishae

Move out the way ya'll......Me and the Juice are taking the stage!

I love Scurl Curl Activator. Even in 2018, yes, I leave grease stains where my head was.
hahah YESSS Chicoro! How has activator helped your hair? Do you feel like it helps you retain length? Any success story? I'm living through you all right now lol

Chicoro

hahah YESSS Chicoro! How has activator helped your hair? Do you feel like it helps you retain length? Any success story? I'm living through you all right now lol

It keeps my hair sleek and slick looking. Yes, I feel it helps me retain length. My hair is crunchy, dry and hard in its natural state. With curl activator, my hair is soft and moist. I used to use Stay Sof Fro. It is very thin and light. I changed over toe Scurl when I saw this girl at work who had fuzzy, dry looking hair like I have, then the next day, sleek looking wet hair. I asked her what she used, and the rest is history.

Chicoro

This is most likely it. I have had people laugh at me when I tell them that I still use Queen Helene Cholesterol Deep Conditioner. My thing is if it works then it works and it doesn't matter if it has been around for 5 years or 50 years.

Yes, I love Queen Helene, too. Queen Helene is the first queen to help get me to hip length. Queen Shea is the one who has helped to get me to tail bone length.

MACGlossChick

I used the wave nouveau lotion years ago when I would moisturize, seal, and baggy. I could only use it when I protective styled my hair, otherwise my hair was weighed down, but I have fine hair anyway.

shanelallyn30

really??? now that's exciting

I am also using S-Curl No Drip along w/SB for Detangling & Retention thanks to @Chicoro.

I have discovered S-Curl is a much cheaper version/dupe of KCKT. It definitely reminds me of KCKT. But I can get 32 oz for what 8oz of KCKT costs.

So far, the S-Curl has been working fine and detangling like a champ. I also have Carefree Gold in my Stash, but read a couple posters said this particular product made their hair dry.

It's cheap, inexpensive and effective.

RossBoss

Yes, I love Queen Helene, too. Queen Helene is the first queen to help get me to hip length. Queen Shea is the one who has helped to get me to tail bone length.

Is Queen Shea a deep conditioner? Even though Queen Helene has been a staple I have been considering switching to Straight Request ONLY because it's Black owned. Straight Request costs way more than QH but I will go the extra mile to support a Black owned business if the product agrees with my hair.

Chicoro

Is Queen Shea a deep conditioner? Even though Queen Helene has been a staple I have been considering switching to Straight Request ONLY because it's Black owned. Straight Request costs way more than QH but I will go the extra mile to support a Black owned business if the product agrees with my hair.

No, I just love 'whipped' Shea butter, and out of respect for this natural product, I refer to it as 'Queen'. You can make it or use it in your deep conditioner. But technically, it is not a commercial product you buy off the shelf with the name 'Queen Shea'. I should have put it in quotations. I am glad you asked me to clarify. There is no need for me to add MORE confusion to the hair situation!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
How are you ladies using the S-Curl to detangle? @IDareT'sHair @I Am So Blessed
I use Care Free Curl Activator. I don't use anything to detangle except whatever products is left in my head over the course of 3 weeks. My hair is moisturized all the time so I detangle from there if that makes sense.

Eta: Oh wait I lied, I did apply some more activator to my roots last night right before I detangled. But most times my hair is moist already.

scarcity21

It can deffo feel sticky if you use too much. I personally find S-Curl tangles my hair when it's applied wet. However, on dry hair my strands BOW DOWN in submission. When my hair is misbehaving I bring out the S-Curl and it sorts everything.
Ok I can relate. This is how I use it. I apply after I wash my hair, put 5-7 flat twists in, let air-dry. Once dry, I untwist and apply again on dry hair and retwist. Once dry the 2nd time, my hair feels so soft and moisturized and this feeling can last 2weeks!