Jheri Juice / Curl Activator - The Best Thing For Length Retention? 2018 Revival

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Why am I not posting in here?!! I'm ride or die for juice! When I stoped relaxing I literally said "I know hiw to get all my hair back....Juice" not exactly, but i said something to that effect lol. I literally retain all my length and grew 20 inches in 3 years. I have been using Care Free Curl Gold for over ten years. I started a challenge back in 2010. I thought about doing another challenge, but there are already many challenges. I love juice! I cant find the pic i took of my stash, I have so many bottles of this in my closet. It has never failed me once! Y'all don't even understand the relationship me and Juice have....its deep.:2inlove:

The side boyfriend is BlueMagic hair grease.

aishae

Omg, girl, a juice challenge is such a good idea! You should totally do it, and you know LHCFers would flock to you due to your long-term member-ness and amazing hair story! I remember seeing you posting way back when i was a luker lol (i think you had a different username?) Heck, I even alluded to you in my original post as i couldn’t remember your username!

I would deffo join the challenge! Your story has given me life.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Omg, girl, a juice challenge is such a good idea! You should totally do it, and you know LHCFers would flock to you due to your long-term member-ness and amazing hair story! I remember seeing you posting way back when i was a luker lol (i think you had a different username?) Heck, I even alluded to you in my original post as i couldn’t remember your username!

I would deffo join the challenge! Your story has given me life.
Yeah I just changed my scream name this year and I regret it sometimes. I had no reason to do it lol. Bored I guess, but yea that was me back in 2010 that started the challenge "Live by the juice die by the juice" :). I may start another one!

aishae

Yeah I just changed my scream name this year and I regret it sometimes. I had no reason to do it lol. Bored I guess, but yea that was me back in 2010 that started the challenge "Live by the juice die by the juice" :). I may start another one!
Oooooh girl, yes, lead us!! I thought about leading a challenge myself but I'm still in semi-lurker mode lol :lurking:

Bun Mistress

I started used a curl activator again in the last few months. Cantu Curl activator and Care free curl.

Carefree curl is cheap which I like. I started using this second after Cantu. It is easy to find and does the job I sometimes seal with oil some time not. I find I don't really have to.

Cantu I liked because it goes on smooth and isn't sticky.

For me the curl activator are sticky and greasy then after a day or over night your hair is moisturized. I am wearing mostly clipins after having my second child and have been usinf the curl activator. So far I like it now that I know what will happen and that it works for what I need. When I take down my braids my hair is soft and moisturized.

aishae

Today is Saturday so that mean Its detangling and re-moisturize day. Will apply my activator to my hair and retwist it until next Saturday. The same for my 7 year old niece. Been doing this routine for 3 years. Then I will seal with grease.

Do you only comb your hair once a week, on a Saturday? I'm having to re-do mine each time I moisturise, which is every day. I wonder if that's too much brushing. I struggle to keep my hair looking neat otherwise :nono:

I started used a curl activator again in the last few months. Cantu Curl activator and Care free curl.

Carefree curl is cheap which I like. I started using this second after Cantu. It is easy to find and does the job I sometimes seal with oil some time not. I find I don't really have to.

Cantu I liked because it goes on smooth and isn't sticky.

For me the curl activator are sticky and greasy then after a day or over night your hair is moisturized. I am wearing mostly clipins after having my second child and have been usinf the curl activator. So far I like it now that I know what will happen and that it works for what I need. When I take down my braids my hair is soft and moisturized.
Hey, I've tried the Cantu Coil Calm Detangler. I liked it. Not as much as S-Curl but I did find it made my hair crazy smooth and shiny.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Do you only comb your hair once a week, on a Saturday? I'm having to re-do mine each time I moisturise, which is every day. I wonder if that's too much brushing. I struggle to keep my hair looking neat otherwise :nono:

Hey, I've tried the Cantu Coil Calm Detangler. I liked it. Not as much as S-Curl but I did find it made my hair crazy smooth and shiny.
I comb once a week and moisturize once a week. My hair stays good for 7 days usually. Plus I don't care about neat, but decent works.

RossBoss

Today is Saturday so that mean Its detangling and re-moisturize day. Will apply my activator to my hair and retwist it until next Saturday. The same for my 7 year old niece. Been doing this routine for 3 years. Then I will seal with grease.

I think I read where you use activator to do your roller sets? I won't be doing a wet set until October/November as I am doing wash and go's to get through this miserable heat and humidity. How does the activator enhance your roller sets?

shanelallyn30

Why am I not posting in here?!! I'm ride or die for juice! When I stoped relaxing I literally said "I know hiw to get all my hair back....Juice" not exactly, but i said something to that effect lol. I literally retain all my length and grew 20 inches in 3 years. I have been using Care Free Curl Gold for over ten years. I started a challenge back in 2010. I thought about doing another challenge, but there are already many challenges. I love juice! I cant find the pic i took of my stash, I have so many bottles of this in my closet. It has never failed me once! Y'all don't even understand the relationship me and Juice have....its deep.:2inlove:

The side boyfriend is BlueMagic hair grease.

LMAO

shanelallyn30

Yes, I love Queen Helene, too. Queen Helene is the first queen to help get me to hip length. Queen Shea is the one who has helped to get me to tail bone length.
HI!!! What is your routine for the queen helen I always wanted to use it but people seem to add so much to it. is it effective as is??

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
How are you guys wearing your hair while using this?

When I was natural my mom convinced me to give S curl a try for moisture and my twist out was moisturized and SUPER greasy and my hair swoleeeee! My hair was actually damp. I think the combo of the humidity in the air and the glycerin content. It did make my hair soft but even when I used less it caused swelling and that damp/wetness to my hair.
In a bun or twists pulled up. If I use too much, it will feel as you described.

SmilingElephant

I just recently bought a bottle of Care Free Curl Gold. I'm going to start using it more regularly and just keep my hair in buns for the next 6 months.

ETA: I really like the CFCG so far, it makes my hair sooo moisturized! :yep: I used to use S-Curl a decade ago on my relaxed hair and it aided in my length retention.

And dare I say this on the forum: I also purchased a bottle of Pink Lotion, and I use it to seal in the moisture from the water in the shower after conditioning, as a leave in, underneath EcoStyler. My hair stays soft for DAYS! And here I was talking about I wouldn't use the kind of products ever again. I'm glad I learned about ingredients over the years on here, so now I know how to use them :)

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
@aishae ,

I think those pretty pictures you posted of your 3.5 months progress would go perfectly in this thread, too!

aishae

@Chicoro, you are so sweet! :angel2:

Well, here goes...

I posted these in another thread but here are my 3.5 month progress pics. All I've been doing is moisturising with S-curl twice a day and bunning. I deep condition once a week and sometimes co-wash midweek if my hair feels too waxy.

Honestly, my hair has never felt better since I started my bunning regime. It feels thicker, I'm retaining length and it's breaking so much less. I've also realised that my hair loves moisture. I hope to be full CBL my Christmas 2018.

aishae

I just recently bought a bottle of Care Free Curl Gold. I'm going to start using it more regularly and just keep my hair in buns for the next 6 months.

ETA: I really like the CFCG so far, it makes my hair sooo moisturized! :yep: I used to use S-Curl a decade ago on my relaxed hair and it aided in my length retention.

And dare I say this on the forum: I also purchased a bottle of Pink Lotion, and I use it to seal in the moisture from the water in the shower after conditioning, as a leave in, underneath EcoStyler. My hair stays soft for DAYS! And here I was talking about I wouldn't use the kind of products ever again. I'm glad I learned about ingredients over the years on here, so now I know how to use them :)

Ooh, glad you're liking the CFCG! I tried it and felt it was a little greasy for my hair. May I ask why you prefer it to using S-Curl? Do you find it gives you better results?

I think it's great to be mindful of ingredients, but if Pink Lotion is working for you, go 'head girl! :pulpdance:

RossBoss

Are all of you who are “juicing” natural?

I am. I find that since I went natural I need more moisture than when I was relaxed. I also notice that the longer my hair gets the easier it is to keep it moisturized. Whereas when I first big chopped I could not keep my twa moisturized no matter what, but then again I did not have the juice in my arsenal when I big chopped..I added that a few months later and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

quirkydimples

I am. I find that since I went natural I need more moisture than when I was relaxed. I also notice that the longer my hair gets the easier it is to keep it moisturized. Whereas when I first big chopped I could not keep my twa moisturized no matter what, but then again I did not have the juice in my arsenal when I big chopped..I added that a few months later and it's been smooth sailing ever since.
I’ve been natural a couple of times, but am relaxed now. My hair is usually pulled back and I try to keep it moisturized, so this is all interesting.

jolieprincess

I too am a long time user of the juice. I just tried to tell one of my good friends all the benefits and she couldn't stop laughing. My favorites are Hawaiian Silky (gel and 14-in-1), CareFree Curl Original (I hate the gold version), and Long Aid with Aloe. I usually seal with a light oil or grease when its cold out. My ends stay moist. I only really break from this when I wear my hair in a blow out. I do need to be more consistent so I'm down for a challenge.

aishae

I too am a long time user of the juice. I just tried to tell one of my good friends all the benefits and she couldn't stop laughing. My favorites are Hawaiian Silky (gel and 14-in-1), CareFree Curl Original (I hate the gold version), and Long Aid with Aloe. I usually seal with a light oil or grease when its cold out. My ends stay moist. I only really break from this when I wear my hair in a blow out. I do need to be more consistent so I'm down for a challenge.

Our friends will laugh at us until they see the retention, and then they will ask ‘what products do you use?’ Mmmhm!

jolieprincess

@aishae , true. It's funny because she noticed my retention and that was her reason for asking. She even asked if I was serious. I ended up showing her my travel sized Wetline and Hawaiian Silky. To this day she has not purchased it but still asks me for advice. She can keep waiting. I'm going to bun my way to the next step with the juice.

aishae

@aishae , true. It's funny because she noticed my retention and that was her reason for asking. She even asked if I was serious. I ended up showing her my travel sized Wetline and Hawaiian Silky. To this day she has not purchased it but still asks me for advice. She can keep waiting. I'm going to bun my way to the next step with the juice.
Yes girl! Let's bun together! Feel free to post pics of your bun and progress. I've just ordered some more S Curl and a bottle of Sof N Free to try out (I couldn't resist):rolleyes:

NaturalShe94

Okay, I'm reading all through this.....
I googled "Jheri Juice" and urban dictionary option came up. Lol.

So it helps retain length? My product junkie senses are tingling at the moment as I try not to get up for my car keys because today is wash day so it's the perfect day to try out a new product. Lol.
What is the difference between a curl activator and a leave in or curl enhancing smoothie?
And what makes the moisture from this particular product help retain length different from a regular moisturizer or leave in?

Sorry, this is my first time hearing about this product and I'm very interested. lol.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I think I'll grab a bottle of S curl next time I'm in a store that has it. I remember this stuff saved my life when I was in college, but I just can't quite grasp why I stopped using it. I'm wondering if it was too greasy, or maybe made my hair frizzy. Meh. Only one way to find out! Hopefully I'll check in in a week or so with some updates (if I remember to buy some) :lol:

aishae

Okay, I'm reading all through this.....
I googled "Jheri Juice" and urban dictionary option came up. Lol.

So it helps retain length? My product junkie senses are tingling at the moment as I try not to get up for my car keys because today is wash day so it's the perfect day to try out a new product. Lol.
What is the difference between a curl activator and a leave in or curl enhancing smoothie?
And what makes the moisture from this particular product help retain length different from a regular moisturizer or leave in?

Sorry, this is my first time hearing about this product and I'm very interested. lol.
A curl activator was used back in the day for people with jheri curls. The moisture in it would plump up the curls and cause thrm to clump into the curly style, hense ‘activate’ the jheri curl.

The main ingredient in curl activators is glycerine (usually water first, then glycerine). Glycerine is a humectant, which means it draws in moisture from the atmosphere, therefore attracting moisture to your hair when it’s applied. This is why some ladies find gylcerine-based products make their hair frizzy or limp when it’s humid outside: the hair strands swell with the extra moisture.

I’m not sure about curl enhancing smoothies as I’ve never tried one or looked in the ingredients list. However, curl activator can be used as a leave in or daily mosituriser. It wont activate any curls if you dont naturally have any. Most ladies on here aren’t using them for jheri curls lol.

For me, I only use s-curl for bunning my hair as it keeps my hair moist all day and it won’t frizz