Jheri Juice / Curl Activator - The Best Thing For Length Retention? 2018 Revival

natural2008

I finally got around to creating this style on youtube and used my Scurl to get my curls poppin.

@NowIAmNappy -So how didn't your hair not frizz? I tried to do a twist out and my hair was had no curls. Did you have curls all day? BTW I also watched your video:). Did you use Cantu as a leave in?

@I Am So Blessed-How do you manage a twist out and maintain definition?

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

Ooh, glad you're liking the CFCG! I tried it and felt it was a little greasy for my hair. May I ask why you prefer it to using S-Curl? Do you find it gives you better results?

I think it's great to be mindful of ingredients, but if Pink Lotion is working for you, go 'head girl! :pulpdance:

I just took the CFCG for a spin because I had never used it before, but I heard good things about it. I may try the S-Curl again someday. Yeah, I used to be a Nazi with the ingredients, but over the years...this year makes 10 years of me being on this forum...WOW! :shocked:, but yeah lol...over the years I got tired of being afraid to try stuff, especially after I researched the way ingredients were used and why they were added to a product, and I decided to try them and use them accordingly, and they work.

NaturalShe94

A curl activator was used back in the day for people with jheri curls. The moisture in it would plump up the curls and cause thrm to clump into the curly style, hense ‘activate’ the jheri curl.

The main ingredient in curl activators is glycerine (usually water first, then glycerine). Glycerine is a humectant, which means it draws in moisture from the atmosphere, therefore attracting moisture to your hair when it’s applied. This is why some ladies find gylcerine-based products make their hair frizzy or limp when it’s humid outside: the hair strands swell with the extra moisture.

I’m not sure about curl enhancing smoothies as I’ve never tried one or looked in the ingredients list. However, curl activator can be used as a leave in or daily mosituriser. It wont activate any curls if you dont naturally have any. Most ladies on here aren’t using them for jheri curls lol.

For me, I only use s-curl for bunning my hair as it keeps my hair moist all day and it won’t frizz

Thanks for the info! Picked up some at Family Dollar yestersay. I washed my hair tonight and used it as my moisturizer, I sealed with oil though then plaited it in one and it will be in a bun like that all week until wash day again. Guess, Ill see how well it works!

aishae

Thanks for the info! Picked up some at Family Dollar yestersay. I washed my hair tonight and used it as my moisturizer, I sealed with oil though then plaited it in one and it will be in a bun like that all week until wash day again. Guess, Ill see how well it works!

Ooh, I hope you like it! Do let us know next week how it’s worked for you :)

NowIAmNappy

@NowIAmNappy -So how didn't your hair not frizz? I tried to do a twist out and my hair was had no curls. Did you have curls all day? BTW I also watched your video:). Did you use Cantu as a leave in?

Thanks for watching and yes I did use Cantu as my leave in. I didnt experience a ton of frizz for two main reasons, I sealed my hair with shea butter and it wasnt humid outside. So because Scurl has glycerin and which attracts moisture from the environment I add the Cantu leave-in to supply it with the moisture my hair needs. By sealing in the moisture with my shea butter it minimizes my hair from frizzing because it does not allow moisture from the environment (humidity) to soak into my hair. Also was your hair completely dry before take down? But if it is extremely humid outside like it can be on the east coast, my hair will shrink but will still have curls. Also if glycerine is making it frizz try using a gel to set your curls or a product that adds some hold. Additionally, I am attaching a picture of my hair about 3 hours later and you can see it held up pretty well, however, I know this combo works well for my hair because of the sealant.

ETA dont soak your hair with the curl activator if you're looking to do a twistout, try just a spritz or two.

Attachments

• 2DEF79C5-1896-4DDF-95CA-645A07656501.jpeg
    2DEF79C5-1896-4DDF-95CA-645A07656501.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

natural2008

ETA dont soak your hair with the curl activator if you're looking to do a twistout, try just a spritz or two.
I don't soak it at all and just use a little bit as that is all that's needed when using the juice. I'll try to add the curl cream and shea butter like you did and will keep you posted:). I was thinking that I needed something else besides the juice to hold my twist if that makes any sense. Thank you so much for responding. I'm going to try to twist my hair using your method:).

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Speaking of Jheri Curl Activator retention, this pic of my hair was taken on July 30th 2017. At the end of next month I will show my year's worth of growth from last Summer. Don't mind my refrigerator body LOL I was going through something.. *a voice yells* "yeah the refrigerator!". Any who, I've been using activator my whole entire journey (3 years).

I will quote this post in 34 more days on July 30th with an update picture.
posted in "random thoughts" thread too.

upload_2018-6-26_16-6-10.png

aishae

Speaking of Jheri Curl Activator retention, this pic of my hair was taken on July 30th 2017. At the end of next month I will show my year's worth of growth from last Summer. Don't mind my refrigerator body LOL I was going through something.. *a voice yells* "yeah the refrigerator!". Any who, I've been using activator my whole entire journey (3 years).

I will quote this post in 34 more days on July 30th with an update picture.
posted in "random thoughts" thread too.

View attachment 432233

hahaha @ bolded

Hair's looking so great, can't wait to see the updated pic after a year! By the way, Do you have any pics of your hair before lhcf?

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
hahaha @ bolded

Hair's looking so great, can't wait to see the updated pic after a year! By the way, Do you have any pics of your hair before lhcf?
Here is a pick of my MBL or longer relaxed hair in July of 2011. I believe this was a fresh relaxer which would explain the flatness. My hair was also a tint of brown because of the relaxer.

I had way better pictures then this, but I lost them. I was hurt by that, but oh well. This is pretty much how my hair looked all the way up until June, 2015 when I decided I was returning to natural.

upload_2018-6-27_10-29-21.png

Last edited:

aishae

Here is a pick of my MBL or longer relaxed hair in July of 2011. I believe this was a fresh relaxer which would explain the flatness. My hair was also a tint of brown because of the relaxer.

I had way better pictures then this, but I lost them. I was hurt by that, but oh well. This is pretty much how my hair looked all the way up until June, 2015 when I decided I was returning to natural.

View attachment 432255
Ahh it looks beautiful, then and now!

aishae

:shopping:*Product junkie trigger alert* :shopping:

So ...I may have just found a curl activator I prefer to my bae S-CURL!:D

It's Sof n' Free Curl Activator Lotion. I feel like it gives max hydration like S-curl, but without the sticky, waxy feeling. Oooooh, my hair feels SO JUICAAAAYYYY and quenched, and the shine is poppin!

I've tried the below and instantly knew they didn't live up to my S-curl:
  • Haiwain Silky 14 in 1
  • Care Free Curl Gold
  • Wave Nouveau
  • Cantu Coil Calm Detangler (I guess it's considered a juice as water and glycerine are the first 2 ingredients?)
To be fair it's only been a few days but we'll see how Sof n' Free works in the long run. Right now, I'm very impressed. Stay tuned..

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
:shopping:*Product junkie trigger alert* :shopping:

So ...I may have just found a curl activator I prefer to my bae S-CURL!:D

It's Sof n' Free Curl Activator Lotion. I feel like it gives max hydration like S-curl, but without the sticky, waxy feeling. Oooooh, my hair feels SO JUICAAAAYYYY and quenched, and the shine is poppin!

I've tried the below and instantly knew they didn't live up to my S-curl:
  • Haiwain Silky 14 in 1
  • Care Free Curl Gold
  • Wave Nouveau
  • Cantu Coil Calm Detangler (I guess it's considered a juice as water and glycerine are the first 2 ingredients?)
To be fair it's only been a few days but we'll see how Sof n' Free works in the long run. Right now, I'm very impressed. Stay tuned..
Yay!! I can feel your excitement. I love knowing that my hair is completely quenched! Then and only then is hair retention inevitable! When I found my staple juice I knew....I knew. *wipes tear from eye*

aishae

Yay!! I can feel your excitement. I love knowing that my hair is completely quenched! Then and only then is hair retention inevitable! When I found my staple juice I knew....I knew. *wipes tear from eye*

Ahahah! with all this moisture, how often are you doing protein treatments?

I’m currently using ORS replenishing conditioner which is protein/mositure balanced, but I wonder if that’s enougho_O

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.

I’m currently using ORS replenishing conditioner which is protein/mositure balanced, but I wonder if that’s enougho_O
I use protein every time I wash my hair which is every three weeks. I add hydrolized protein to my Hollywood Beauty Cholesterol and sit under heat cap for an hour.

caribeandiva

Human being
They just don't know do they?

I know that the Juice has helped me get to WL TWICE! Within 8 years. It deserves to get it's props...

THE JUICE IS HERE TO STAY.
Move out the way ya'll......Me and the Juice are taking the stage!

I love Scurl Curl Activator. Even in 2018, yes, I leave grease stains where my head was.
I knew you two would be in here for sure!! :lol:

caribeandiva

Human being
@Chicoro, you are so sweet! :angel2:

Well, here goes...

I posted these in another thread but here are my 3.5 month progress pics. All I've been doing is moisturising with S-curl twice a day and bunning. I deep condition once a week and sometimes co-wash midweek if my hair feels too waxy.

Honestly, my hair has never felt better since I started my bunning regime. It feels thicker, I'm retaining length and it's breaking so much less. I've also realised that my hair loves moisture. I hope to be full CBL my Christmas 2018.

Amazing progress!! Keep up the good work!

MizzBFly

It may be enough so just gauge how your hair feels. if it’s to mushy and doesn’t hold a shape you may need more protein. I was using Aphogee 2min but I recently found my Aphogee Keratin mist- which is a leave in. I’ll try out both on alternate occasions, track how my hair feels after to find the best option/balance. Since I can be extra and like what I like, I’ll also continue to use my clay to wash and a Henna gloss for an alternative protein option.:afro:

aishae

Amazing progress!! Keep up the good work!
Thanks girl!
It may be enough so just gauge how your hair feels. if it’s to mushy and doesn’t hold a shape you may need more protein. I was using Aphogee 2min but I recently found my Aphogee Keratin mist- which is a leave in. I’ll try out both on alternate occasions, track how my hair feels after to find the best option/balance. Since I can be extra and like what I like, I’ll also continue to use my clay to wash and a Henna gloss for an alternative protein option.:afro:
Cool, thank you for the tips! I’ll play it by ear

sunflora

Flowah Powah
So I got my S-curl. Did the formula change since... uh... 2010? :look: It's definitely not greasy at ALL, barely smells like anything, doesn't seem to make my hair very frizzy but I just tucked it in a high bun. It might just do the trick. I'll keep it on trial for the next few days and if my hair actually stays moisturized, it's a keeper!

aishae

So I got my S-curl. Did the formula change since... uh... 2010? :look: It's definitely not greasy at ALL, barely smells like anything, doesn't seem to make my hair very frizzy but I just tucked it in a high bun. It might just do the trick. I'll keep it on trial for the next few days and if my hair actually stays moisturized, it's a keeper!
Yes, I remember seeing a thread some years ago about the formula change. This was around the time I just started using it so I can't comment on how different they are, but I do think the newer version is more perfumed.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I love activators , they give the hair ultra moisture but for me in the winter its hard using because its cold as heck in NJ

An alternate CAG I found is SM curling Souffle. That stuff acts just like CAG and you only need a little. Ive found lately that SM Low porosity leave in conditioner is giving me the same feels as well. I've been wearing a wig so maybe the tight confines are keeping my moisture in and I rarely have my hair out.

I think i'll pick up a few items to trial . I wear a safety hat at work so my hair is never out.