Joico Product

princessdi

Okay, so something is making my hair feel hard and dry after I do my deep conditioning treatment, and I’m beginning to think it’s the Joico Moisture Recovery conditioner that I’m using. When using it, I’m going for moisturized hair, but the result after it dries is hard, dry hair to the touch. It almost feels as though I’ve given myself a protein treatment. I see that it has some protein in the product, but I didn’t think it was enough to cause protein overload; however, because I’m protein sensitive maybe it’s still too much for me.

For those of you who are protein-sensitive and have used Joico Moisture Recovery, does this happen to you? Does all of the Joico products contain some type of protein? If so, I may need to switch moisture products. I really want to try the Joico KPac Intense Hydrator; however, because of this, I’m afraid to even try this product.

I need to find a GOOD moisturizing deep conditioner to use that doesn’t contain ANY protein in it. Any suggestions?

Thanks ladies!

princessdi

more than I should have. I fell asleep with it in my hair, so it was probably a couple of hours or more.

SelfStyled

I am also protein sensitive and so wanted to love the Joico products- but they leave my hair feeling hard too.

I have the treatment balm and the Joico k pac reconstructor. To lessen the hard hair effect with the treatment balm I mix w/ a deep conditioner that has no protein in at all. With the reconstructor I follow up w/ a dc that has no protein.

Some of the Deep Conditioners that I have and really like w/o protein are:
Aubrey White Camelia
Aubreys Honeysuckle Rose
Aussie 3 Minute
Skala-chocolate
Kanechomn Wine- (one of the best deep conditioners IMO)
Hairveda Strinillah

hopeful

I love the moisture recovery conditioner. Afterwards my hair always feels soft and moisturized. Maybe it just doesn't agree with your hair.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
My first guess was that it has built up on your hair. I think there is a cone at the top of the Moisture Recovery ingredient list (like 4th or something). Maybe clarifying will help.

Last edited:

My-Foolish-Heart

Is this the Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm or just the regular conditioner? If it's the balm, I just found that that product didn't agree with my hair and I never felt moisturized at all so I didn't repurchase. I've never had any problems with the regular condictioner. My fave DC from Joico is the K-Pak Intense Hydrator...now that's some great stuff! It's meant to follow up the Reconstructor so it's very moisturizing in my opinion.

Emz Forever

I have used both the Joico Moisture Recovery Balm and the K-Pak Intense Hydrator. All Joico products contain protein and I soon learnt that I couldn't use them all the time. Especially the intense hydrator - I eventually stared using this as a light protein treatment and always followed up with something more moisturising. The Moisture Recovery Balm is better, but just not QUITE moisturising enough as a DC. I realised that that best way to get the best ouf of Joico products is to do what they say - leave on for only 3 - 5 mins. Any longer and its hard hair...for me anyway. And also, if you are protein sensitive, don't look to Joico for moisture because none of their lines is PURE, PURE, PURE moisture.

ITA with SelfStyled about the moisture DCs. Those are some good ones :)

princessdi

Thanks for the response. I want to try this one...Kanechomn Wine, especially since you think it's a really good one. I wish I could braid. I really like your rope braid. It's cute.

I am also protein sensitive and so wanted to love the Joico products- but they leave my hair feeling hard too.

I have the treatment balm and the Joico k pac reconstructor. To lessen the hard hair effect with the treatment balm I mix w/ a deep conditioner that has no protein in at all. With the reconstructor I follow up w/ a dc that has no protein.

Some of the Deep Conditioners that I have and really like w/o protein are:
Aubrey White Camelia
Aubreys Honeysuckle Rose
Aussie 3 Minute
Skala-chocolate
Kanechomn Wine- (one of the best deep conditioners IMO)
Hairveda Strinillah

princessdi

Thanks. I'll clarify and try it again. I remember when I first tried it, I loved it, but that was after a fresh relaxer. I'm now 15 weeks post relaxer, so I'm not sure what's up.:sad: I guess it could be the build up.

My first guess was that it has built up on your hair. I think there is a cone at the top of the Moisture Recovery ingredient list (like 4th or something). Maybe clarifying will help.

princessdi

Thanks girl. That is one of my problems. If it says moisture, I never check to see if it contains protein, but should have known with it being a Joico product that is had some protein in it. With my hair being protein-sensitive, I need to be more careful when selecting products.:ohwell:

I have used both the Joico Moisture Recovery Balm and the K-Pak Intense Hydrator. All Joico products contain protein and I soon learnt that I couldn't use them all the time. Especially the intense hydrator - I eventually stared using this as a light protein treatment and always followed up with something more moisturising. The Moisture Recovery Balm is better, but just not QUITE moisturising enough as a DC. I realised that that best way to get the best ouf of Joico products is to do what they say - leave on for only 3 - 5 mins. Any longer and its hard hair...for me anyway. And also, if you are protein sensitive, don't look to Joico for moisture because none of their lines is PURE, PURE, PURE moisture.

ITA with SelfStyled about the moisture DCs. Those are some good ones :)