Jouelzy - So Over the Natural Hair Community & Texture Discrimination 4c

Guinan

Re-Branding
Then you don't understand the point of the method. It's not just a WnG. Ask Pinke cube. The whole point is "max hydration" and you know you've reached it when your hair is defined from root to tip w/o product. That is the goal.

Correct, you know that u reached hydration when it is defined root to tip. From your other post, I took it that you shouldn't be using gel. I misunderstood your post not the method.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I do not use gel for my wng; my scalp does not like them. My hair stays soft without it, and I don't care for the sticky or crunchy look and feel of gel.

I don't like crunchy gels either and neither does my hair. That's why I don't use crunchy gels.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
I do not use gel for my wng; my scalp does not like them. My hair stays soft without it, and I don't care for the sticky or crunchy look and feel of gel.
An alternative to gel is an oil that will seal the strand. I didn't like gel until I tried DevaCurl's Light Conditioning Gel. LOVE it. Now I use it all the time.

koolkittychick

Nope no problem at all. Continue to do the MHM in private and bash the method in public.

That seems like a juvenile response, since I already stated I do not follow any aspect of the MHM; too much time and bad science behind it, and since I am on a septic tank system, I don't think it would be a good idea to pour pounds of clay down my drains when I don't have to for soft, moisturized hair. :nono:

nothidden

That is what I use to seal also. I use an oil by Paul Mitchell and it works very well. :)
I used to use Argan oil...OMG. Love that oil. But I am just so surprised at how well DevaCurl products hydrate that I will be working with them for a while.

koolkittychick

I used to use Argan oil...OMG. Love that oil. But I am just so surprised at how well DevaCurl products hydrate that I will be working with them for a while.

I'm not surprised. I have heard many good things about DevaCurl, and once my hair grows some more I want to go to their salon in New York and get a proper Deva cut. :)

nothidden

I'm surprised because when doing MHM, DevaCurl products weren't recommended (not called out just not on the recommended product list) due to certain ingredients. I actually thought my hair would be harmed. But someone still following MHM convinced me to try it.

Too funny...my coworker mentioned on Friday that she wanted to get a Deva cut soon. She found a stylist in her area. We are both doing the same as you, waiting for our hair to grow some more.

GGsKin

Then you don't understand the point of the method. It's not just a WnG. Ask Pinke cube. The whole point is "max hydration" and you know you've reached it when your hair is defined from root to tip w/o product. That is the goal.

This doesn't mean anyone who does MHM intends wear their hair without product. How many of us put nothing on our hair at all? Its a way of monitoring your hair. Root to tip definition without product is just a way of signifying hydrated hair.

I am enjoying my hair trials. I honestly wouldn't care if my hair never became 'hydrated to the max' if that is even possible (the idea of moisture evaporating comes to mind- hence our continued use of water, regimens or certain products like moisturisers). Maintaining my hair isn't hurting any body so it's all good to me.

sweetpea7

Co sign on the no gel wng. I used to love flax seed gel but i hate making it every few days.

Jelly of you ladies getting a deva cut. My broke self can barely afford to get her hair straightened for graduation.

nothidden

This doesn't mean anyone who does MHM intends wear their hair without product. How many of us put nothing on our hair at all? Its a way of monitoring your hair. Root to tip definition without product is just a way of signifying hydrated hair.

I am enjoying my hair trials. I honestly wouldn't care if my hair never became 'hydrated to the max' if that is even possible (the idea of moisture evaporating comes to mind- hence our continued use of water, regimens or certain products like moisturisers). Maintaining my hair isn't hurting any body so it's all good to me.
I know that Pinke, Aketafitgirl, and DanaBNatural are all at max hydration and they all still use product. Definition w/o product is just an indicator. Aketafitgirl has a video about this. You're reading into the comment or you just misunderstood it.

nothidden

Co sign on the no gel wng. I used to love flax seed gel but i hate making it every few days.

Jelly of you ladies getting a deva cut. My broke self can barely afford to get her hair straightened for graduation.
My experience w/flax seed gel was so hit-or-miss that I stopped using it and went back to oils.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I know that Pinke, Aketafitgirl, and DanaBNatural are all at max hydration and they all still use product. Definition w/o product is just an indicator. Aketafitgirl has a video about this. You're reading into the comment or you just misunderstood it.

Maybe it was the way it was written :look:

sweetpea7

My experience w/flax seed gel was so hit-or-miss that I stopped using it and went back to oils.

I know what you mean. If it was too thin or too thick it would define my hair very well. I think i'll try aloe vera gel. have you used it on your wngs?

mssoconfused

I like those! They are very helpful with managing the two textures. You aren't confusing that with a texturizer are you?
Sorry I'm just responding. No, I'm not confusing the two...but they are very similar in chemical makeup. Just like a texturizer is a "watered down" version of a relaxer, this is a "watered down" version of the texturizer. So while they offer some flexibility in going from straight to natural, it is still altering the curl pattern of your hair and continued use can leave long term effects.

This event was a while ago but what I remember from the discussion wasn't that she was transitioning b/c she wanted to have healthier straight hair, but that she wanted to embrace her curls. This advice seemed counter to her goal. Also, I am not a fan of adding chemicals to your hair that straighten then hair if you're looking to wear curly hair. In my eyes, it defeats the point.

Evolving78

Sorry I'm just responding. No, I'm not confusing the two...but they are very similar in chemical makeup. Just like a texturizer is a "watered down" version of a relaxer, this is a "watered down" version of the texturizer. So while they offer some flexibility in going from straight to natural, it is still altering the curl pattern of your hair and continued use can leave long term effects.

This event was a while ago but what I remember from the discussion wasn't that she was transitioning b/c she wanted to have healthier straight hair, but that she wanted to embrace her curls. This advice seemed counter to her goal. Also, I am not a fan of adding chemicals to your hair that straighten then hair if you're looking to wear curly hair. In my eyes, it defeats the point.
Yeah you are. It's not the product, it's the heat that is being used. A texturizer is a relaxer, just in mild form and you are not suppose to smooth and leave on for a short period of time. Folks even stopped buying texturizer kits, when they were aware what it was. Now they just add product to a relaxer, or buy the mild formula. It sounds like you may have issues with continued heat use. That is one of the issues with the natural community. Folks go so far as to get technical and become scientists when it comes to breaking down the use of heat. I have used the products several times with no issues with my natural texture. There maybe others who can't tolerate as much heat as I can, so product or no product, heat is the issue here. And even without heat, some of those products will help with loosening the curl temporarily. You are assuming with no factual evidence that with continued use, it will become permanent. And if there is any out there, so what? Folks are gonna snatch the natural badge of honor from people?

mssoconfused

Yeah you are. It's not the product, it's the heat that is being used. A texturizer is a relaxer, just in mild form and you are not suppose to smooth and leave on for a short period of time. Folks even stopped buying texturizer kits, when they were aware what it was. Now they just add product to a relaxer, or buy the mild formula. It sounds like you may have issues with continued heat use. That is one of the issues with the natural community. Folks go so far as to get technical and become scientists when it comes to breaking down the use of heat. I have used the products several times with no issues with my natural texture. There maybe others who can't tolerate as much heat as I can, so product or no product, heat is the issue here. And even without heat, some of those products will help with loosening the curl temporarily. You are assuming with no factual evidence that with continued use, it will become permanent. And if there is any out there, so what? Folks are gonna snatch the natural badge of honor from people?

"It sounds like you have issues with continued heat use." That's called projection, lol. No. EYE don't use heat but I am also a lazy natural and live in the world of wash and go. Now that we have gotten that out of the way, we can focus back to the original post which stated that the woman at the seminar seeking help was transitioning from chemically relaxed hair to natural hair b/c she wanted to embrace her curls. Its worth repeating....she wanted to embrace her cruel. The line of demarcation was her primary issue surrounding breakage. It seems pretty simple to me that if someone is transitioning from one chemical because they want straight hair, then the solution is not to recommend another chemical which straightens their hair, albeit a milder straightening process.

I hope this clears up any confusion on you may have :)

mssoconfused

And by the way, its not an assumption that with continued use it will become permanent. Those are facts based on the chemical process and how it interacts with the protein bonds in our hair. Its the same with *any* chemical you apply to your hair.