July 2015: Hits & Misses

KhandiB

So far the only hits I have this month are Cream of Nature Eden Leave in Conditioner, Its glorious and Shea Butter's Curly Pudding, its great for braidouts.

ms.blue

Miss: NaturelleGrow Plantain leave in. Just too light for my hair and not enough moisture.

Hit: NaturelleGrow Sweet Greens DC. This is one of her best dc's. My hair felt so soft and had so much slip.

Ors hair lotion. I'm very surprised by this since my hair tends to hate products with coconut oil so high up in the ingredient list but this left my hair so moisturized.

Jury still out: Afroveda Sweet Roots leave in. I use this as a leave in before I blowdried and straighten my hair. I'm not sure if this product actually works or the combination of products I used.
Claudie 2 and 1 protein treatment. It's just okay but definitely not a replacement for komaza protein strengthener.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
MISS: SuperWet Gel. I tried it again, wanting it to be great, but it just does not perform as well as Ecostyler Gel. I have yet to find a cheap, glycerin and protein free Ecostyler alternative. I give up. On the plus side...

HIT: Ecostyler Argan Gel. Despite the fact that it has glycerin and protein, it hasn't made my hair hard or dry like every other glycerin/protein gel. No matter how hard I stare at the simple ingredient list, I cannot figure out the magic. I should probably give up on figuring it out and just accept that my hair loves it.

NappyKinks

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Contains info about CurlBox Natural

MISS:

July 2015 CurlBox Natural vol. IX

This is a double miss for me; Firstly my CB Natural was shipped on time on the 14th and according to the tracking info it's been sitting at a Jersey City facility since the 17th. I know it's not Curlbox's fault but it's still a miss for me.

Secondly and most importantly, I found out through Instagram that this CB Natural edition is an Eden BodyWorks Coconut Shea takeover box. :( Now don't get me wrong here, I LOVE Eden BodyWorks, that's why I have so much of their stuff. However, I can readily and easily get them on the ground at Target, Walmart or online at Sally's, Curlmart, Eden BodyWorks.com, etc.. Moreover, I can get all 5 of these products plus 3 more for less than the $40 CB Natural price tag during a BOGO FREE sale, smh. The only consolation I have, is that I don't already have these products in my stash (with the exception of the Leave-In Conditioner). This is primarily due to the fact that I never really saw any use for them in my regimen (except for the Mask, I've been meaning to try it). I'm sure they're great at what they do and I will give them a fair try. It's just that had I known it was gonna be an EBW takeover box, I would have skipped this one. I'm not mad because my hair likes EBW products, I'm just disappointed because cost wise, it makes no sense.

Thirdly and the reason why I couldn't "Guess The CurlBox Natural" is that included in this edition, like an expensive garnish, are three 1 oz. samples of Qhemet Biologics products, a CTDG, MTCG and BRBC. Now had the entire box been full size Qhemet products it would have been EPIC!!! At least I now have some travel size Qhemet.

iamyattababe

Miss:

Bellezza's strawberry shortcake hair butter...Horr-I-ble!!!

First of all the smell is overbearing so clearly she went overboard with the fragrance. I tried using to retwist my hair tonight and couldn't get past the smell, my stomach now hurts smh. Needless to say I can't speak on whether or not it was actually moisturizing or not..Def going in my giveaway stash!! :badidea:

CodeRed

Miss: Shea Moisture Tahitian Noni and Monoi Smooth & Repair Nourishing Masque

My hair tangled and clumped with this. Even adding my beloved coconut water didn't help. It didn't play all that well with my natural roots and it tangled my relaxed hair. I was blow drying and it's been a long time (years I think) since I've had clumps of hair (small clumps, but clumps nonetheless) come out while blow drying... It worked fine on my daughter's hair yesterday so in her stash it's going.

Also, why does it say it has keratin in it when it's nowhere on the ingredient list? I read the ingredient list and it has vegetable protein in it but I didn't see keratin... I know to follow up any protein treatment with a moisturizing treatment but that's not what this was...

NaturallyATLPCH

Miss: Shea Moisture Tahitian Noni and Monoi Smooth & Repair Nourishing Masque

My hair tangled and clumped with this. Even adding my beloved coconut water didn't help. It didn't play all that well with my natural roots and it tangled my relaxed hair. I was blow drying and it's been a long time (years I think) since I've had clumps of hair (small clumps, but clumps nonetheless) come out while blow drying... It worked fine on my daughter's hair yesterday so in her stash it's going.

Also, why does it say it has keratin in it when it's nowhere on the ingredient list? I read the ingredient list and it has vegetable protein in it but I didn't see keratin... I know to follow up any protein treatment with a moisturizing treatment but that's not what this was...

Shea Moisture is notorious for providing missing ingredients in the ingredients list. Like on the Professional Cowash it says that it has Cupuacu Butter in it but it's no where in the ingredients list.

Even in the JBCO line, I don't see Jamaican Black Castor Oil anywhere on the ingredients list for any of the products in that line. Even though I love their products, they get a huge side eye that they keep doing this. I would call them out on their FB page lol...

Last edited:

CodeRed

Shea Moisture is notorious for providing missing ingredients in the ingredients list. Like on the Professional Cowash it says that it has Cupuacu Butter in it but it's no where in the ingredients list.

Even in the JBCO line, I don't see Jamaican Black Castor Oil anywhere on the ingredients list for anything of the products in that line. Even though I love their products, they get a huge side eye that they keep doing this. I would call them out on their FB page lol...

Yeah I probably should... or at least send them some kind of message asking where the keratin is. I've seen people repeat on the web in their reviews of this product and said it had keratin in it... I try to make note of these people because obviously they don't pay attention to the things they're putting in their hair :lol:

Hit: Joico KPak Shampoo and Conditioner, Its a 10 leave in, and Silky Milk setting lotion

Miss ( that has put me in a 2 year set back) : Hairinfinity vitamins.:angry2: I had an allergic reaction that resulted in burning from the inside out of my scalp , that lead to thinning of my hair and balding. Needless to say the 3 year perfect hair journey as tore down in 3 months!!!! I was grasing APL and now after two years of recovery for good health hair I am at ear length. This even made me slightly depress and leave the LTHC community during that time. Now I am back and ready to start over again:) Lesson learned for me:yep:

curlyTisME

Hit: Joico KPak Shampoo and Conditioner, Its a 10 leave in, and Silky Milk setting lotion

Miss ( that has put me in a 2 year set back) : Hairinfinity vitamins.:angry2: I had an allergic reaction that resulted in burning from the inside out of my scalp , that lead to thinning of my hair and balding. Needless to say the 3 year perfect hair journey as tore down in 3 months!!!! I was grasing APL and now after two years of recovery for good health hair I am at ear length. This even made me slightly depress and leave the LTHC community during that time. Now I am back and ready to start over again:) Lesson learned for me:yep:

Welcome back!! HHJ

NaturallyATLPCH

Huge Hit: Layering products and sealing with a butter
I had done this before, and I don't know why I stopped. Monday I washed my hair and did ten chunky twists with Soultanicals Knot Sauce, Sarenzo Body Frosting, and a little gel on each twist. The definition is gone and only lasted a couple of days because the gel didn't have a lot of hold, but my hair is crazy soft and moisturized, going on day four.

iamyattababe

New Hit:

Carol's Daughter Marula cleanser & hair mask

Cleanser - Nice slip got my hair squeaky clean and didn't at all feel stripped

Mask - BOMB!!! Was in the shower and applied to one of my 4 sections..immediate *hairgasm*....:amen:

This stuff right here is everything in that jar!!! Great slip, melted right into my curls, and any tangles melted away before I even began touching them! Only planned to deep condition for about an hour but after my *hairgasm*:amen: I decided to leave it overnight. Just rinsed it out and could not stop touching my hair!!!! Will officially keep this on deck!!!

Y'all need this in ya lives!!!

NaturallyATLPCH

Hit: Annabelle's Perfect Blends Bamboo and Algae Mask, Pink Flamingo Scent :love:
Okay so it's been about two months. I needed some protein (I suddenly realized that the Thick and Rich DC didn't have any) in my routine and I haven't been in protective style mode to really need a heavy duty one. I decided to pull the APB DC out because it's considered a "light" protein treatment. Upon applying my hair felt soft, it had some slip, and it melted right into my hair. I added a little Green PowerHouse oil to my scalp and sections of my hair as I always do and sat under the dryer for 30 minutes.

The interesting part was when I rinsed it out, my hair really didn't feel soft, it felt a little strong though. But as I was styling my hair, the sections that were drying before I reset them starting feeling really, really soft! Like, my hair was drying soft. I didn't have any tangles, and could part through my hair easily with my fingers as I grabbed sections to put my leave in in and twist. I did the LCO method then topped it with gel. I don't mind keeping this little bad boy in my arsenal and maybe even alternating it with a moisture DC. :yep:

iamyattababe

Hit:

Doing my very first U part wig!!

I love a good sew in, but love being able to get to my hair weekly as well. Decided to make my own with the tips & tutorials from my beloved youtubers and BOOM!! :clap:

Looks like an actual sew in but comes off at night...Best of both worlds!!!

I've attached a pic even though you can't really see it, y'all get the point. :flahssssss:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 25

curlyTisME

Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo and conditioner. HIT! I will always buy it and keep a backup. It cleans my hair and does not strip it. I use this on the off weeks of my Aphogee.

sunnydaze

Hit: That Organics Twist and Curl Argon Gel found at Dollar Tree.

Yes it's cheap, yes the ingredients are questionable, but my hair loves this stuff for some reason. I mix it with my Suave Shea Butter and Almond conditioner, get shiny, moisturized wash and gos with a nice bit of hold. Mix it with olive oil when I do my twist-outs, nice, shiny and defined curls that resist this Texas humidity. I just went back and bought 6 of them so I can have on stock in the real chance that they decide not to carry it anymore.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Hit: Terressentials Sultry Spice Mud Wash. I've tried three so far: Left Coast Lemon, Lavender Garden and this one. Spice is not as clumping as the Lavender, which isn't as clumping as the Lemon, but I like them all.

Britt

Ok, so I recant my thoughts about TGIN being a potential line to use that I can get on the ground. I really like their oil and will continue to purchase to that. I tried the poo and conditioner yesterday and didn't like it. The poo felt kinda weird going on and the conditioner didn't do anything. I washed my paul Mitchel tea tree and started over.

I did buy the Eco styler cocktail and I liked how it played well with my APB creamy pudding. It's a VERY light product and today my twist out looks good and feels good. We'll see how it holds up to humidity. I'm glad I have another styler I can get on the ground -- Eco Styler cocktail. We'll see how my hair feels as the days go on. I must really say APB never ever ever disappoints me.

Yep, so I've been using the Eco styler cocktail as of late and I like it enough, especially for a product I can get on ground. It has no buildup, holds my twist outs decent enough for the summer time humidity and it prevents some of the swelling I'd normally get. It smells good, it's light, it doesn't make my hair stiff hard, and it plays well with my moisturizer underneath. It's a keeper for sure. I'll use it in the warmer weather and probably stick with the smoothie in the colder weather when it's less humidity and I need less of a 'hold'. Both stylers serve their purpose.