July 2016: Hits & Misses

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Tentative hit

NurCreations Avocado green tea treatment. The application is wonderful. My hair instantly laid down. It's the smell I don't like. I'll keep it in 10 minutes and follow with something moisturising because avocado and green tea are protein to me.

Miss

The smell of this NurCreations Avocado green tea mask. Too medicine like and ugh!

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Hit in the Making
So I really needed a replacement for my Eco Styler Custard which was discontinued. After watching a YouTube vlog, I remembered I had a sample of the Ouidad Heat Control gel. Tested it out and it worked perfectly without flakes and stiff, crunchy hair. This is a great thing. I will keep testing but I think I found a replacement I like.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
@bajandoc86 I would like to know your regimen. as of now ive been wearing wigs just so i didnt have to deal with my hair. i am now considering to try to wear the wigs and grow out my real hair. I cannot get past the APL hump and have thickness so far in my journey and maybe i can with wigs.

NaturallyATLPCH

Tentative hit

NurCreations Avocado green tea treatment. The application is wonderful. My hair instantly laid down. It's the smell I don't like. I'll keep it in 10 minutes and follow with something moisturising because avocado and green tea are protein to me.

Miss

The smell of this NurCreations Avocado green tea mask. Too medicine like and ugh!
Okay, I'm glad to know my hair isn't the only head that avocado based things treat as protein. I thought I was losing my mind over the past 5 years lol...

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Hit: Clay washing
The last time I clay washed I was transitioning and used bentonite clay and water, which I found to be a little drying. This time around I used Rhassoul clay, marshmallow root & slippery elm tea, and AVJ. My curls POPPED! I've got definition and springiness as if I used a denman brush. I need to adjust the clay mix some, but clay washing is clearly a hit.

Hit: Overnight Plopping (t-shirt drying)
I tried this over the holiday weekend just in case my hair became a hot mess. I shouldn't have worried. When I removed the tshirt this morning, my hair was 50% dry , elongated, with a little frizz at the crown and front. Now, at 90% dry, my hair is still well elongated and bouncy. Next time with the tshirt, I'll be sure to pineapple rather than pull my wet curls back, to minimize frizz. I'll also use a Curly Tee Towel instead of a plain shirt.

Miss: Clay washing extremely tangled hair
This is a miss I should've seen coming. Though my clay wash had a little slip, it wasn't enough to detangle my hair easily. I used every drop of the 16oz of clay wash I made to get my curls untangled.

On the avocado oil topic, my hair doesn't treat it as a protein at all and I'm protein sensitive. It is amazing how differently ingredients respond from head to head.

Aggie

HIT:

Wetline Xtreme Professional Styling Gel (Clear) This really does have all the shine raved about by everyone who talks about it. I used it over Camille Rose Natural Curl Maker and a tiny bit of oil over the top for softness.

Wetline Xtreme Reaction Gels in (clear and in black). I found that the clear one had more shine than the black but the black had a much more amazing hold (I'll use the black one as an edge control gel). Also they didn't dry quite as shiny or as soft as the original clear gel with the green top but after adding some light butter and oil combo on top, they were perfectly soft and shiny. I have not yet tried the one in blue jar so stay tuned. I didn't purchase the green gel but I just might still get it just for comparison. The WX (clear) Reaction Gel made my curls pop like crazy, I'm keeping that one too.

I have to admit though that this is by far the best styling gel on this side of heaven for my hair.

The definition of my curls was poppin' better than popcorn in a microwave oven.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Avocado IS protein lol that's why it's used in hair products. For it's repairing properties, it's a protein treatment

I'm very careful with products containing avocado and coconut oil or milk. Avocado is toooooo smoothing and coconut makes my hair too hard.

Silk Dreams WGC has avocado oil, so it's smoothing on my hair. Not super smoothing but no hairs out of place. Her Mocha Hair Milk is just a big fat no for me. The coconut milk is a :naughty:

Aggie

:yep: @Saludable84,

You sure did. I am so happy I invested in this gel. I have 2.5 large jars of Eco gel left, one argan oil, one blue and the half jar is pink.

My baby sister just decided to start texlaxing her hair so I may give them to her. She also just big chopped so this should be good for her to start with since she doesn't have anything to use at the moment. I'll see if she wants them.

MilkChocolateOne

miss: The Mane Choice Detangling Hydration Shampoo, it leaves a small amount of residue that interferes with my conditioner.

I am going on to finally accept that opaque conditioning shampoos are not for me. Most of them have the same effect on my hair. They don't rinse cleanly and leave a film. The first wash is usually ok but I notice build up by the second or third wash. My hair didn't like Creme of Nature shampoos both old and new formulas, Keracare Shampoo, Camille Rose sweet ginger rinse, mane choice and a few others.

NaturallyATLPCH

Avocado IS protein lol that's why it's used in hair products. For it's repairing properties, it's a protein treatment

Well unless you educate yourself or experiment it, you will never know. There are things with avocado that are marketed for moisturizing, NOT repairing or strengthening. That is where the confusion comes from. The ingredient avocado itself, whether oil or extract will fool you if it's in a moisturizing product but your hair reacts like normal protein.

Most people don't discover that coconut, avocado, coconut milk, goat's milk, act as proteins. You are looking for hydrolyzed ones or obvious ones (like egg).

Hey, that's why it's called a journey, right? Lol...

PJaye

Well unless you educate yourself or experiment it, you will never know. There are things with avocado that are marketed for moisturizing, NOT repairing or strengthening. That is where the confusion comes from. The ingredient avocado itself, whether oil or extract will fool you if it's in a moisturizing product but your hair reacts like normal protein.

Most people don't discover that coconut, avocado, coconut milk, goat's milk, act as proteins. You are looking for hydrolyzed ones or obvious ones (like egg).

Hey, that's why it's called a journey, right? Lol...

Exactly; they're called hidden proteins for a reason. A consumer wouldn't know that those additives, along with yogurt, seaweed, algae, kelp, wheatgerm, etc., can behave like proteins until they've experimented and become better informed.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Exactly; they're called hidden proteins for a reason. A consumer wouldn't know that those additives, along with yogurt, seaweed, algae, kelp, wheatgerm, etc., can behave like proteins until they've experimented and become better informed.

Alladat. That's why people look at me like I'm bugging when I'm in an aisle or online for an hour plus just reading ingredients.

NaturallyATLPCH

Yes ma'am, this is absolutely correct. But then you have some proteins marketed for strengthening/repairing that are actually softening. For hydrolyzed keratin to be considered a type of "strengthening" ingredient, it makes my hair super soft.

PJaye

Alladat. That's why people look at me like I'm bugging when I'm in an aisle or online for an hour plus just reading ingredients.

For me, that's part of the fun.:lol: I don't want anything that doesn't have a full ingredient list and I keep a running listing of each product's ingredients in my hair files. I want to know what I'm using before I use it and all that little writing on the jar does is make me crosseyed.

Yes ma'am, this is absolutely correct. But then you have some proteins marketed for strengthening/repairing that are actually softening. For hydrolyzed keratin to be considered a type of "strengthening" ingredient, it makes my hair super soft.

I agree, keratin and collagen always makes my hair feel soft afterward. I can use the Colorful Protein Filler undiluted with no problems and the CJ Repair Me had me making some really inappropriate sounds while rinsing it out. OTOH, my hair feels more strengthened after using quinoa, silk or bamboo. I find the variations that occur with ingredients and additives from person to person fascinating.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly

Keratin, Collagen and Silk make a Sista hair soft. I seriously don't get it, but I ain't complaining either.

NaturallyATLPCH

For me, that's part of the fun.:lol: I don't want anything that doesn't have a full ingredient list and I keep a running listing of each product's ingredients in my hair files. I want to know what I'm using before I use it and all that little writing on the jar does is make me crosseyed.

I agree, keratin and collagen always makes my hair feel soft afterward. I can use the Colorful Protein Filler undiluted with no problems and the CJ Repair Me had me making some really inappropriate sounds while rinsing it out. OTOH, my hair feels more strengthened after using quinoa, silk or bamboo. I find the variations that occur with ingredients and additives from person to person fascinating.

:funny:

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Keratin, Collagen and Silk make a Sista hair soft. I seriously don't get it, but I ain't complaining either.

Love this protein discussion and this^^^

Keratin, collagen, and silk are my favorite proteins and they make my hair feel crazy soft. Baobab and bamboo run a bit more on the strong side of soft. Coconut milk/cream & goat's milk are softening favorites too. Wheat Germ Oil is smoothing and avocado oil is super softening for me.

That quinoa though?? I try my best to avoid it because it can turn my hair into a straw-like hard mess if it's solo or the formulation is off for my hair :nono: