July 2020: Hits & Misses

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Hit: Homemade Growth Oil
Hit: Washing hair as soon as I feel like it. (now that my hair is grazing my back again, I love getting it wet. Gonna be a minute before this bores me.):look:

Miss?: Shea Moisture’s Curling Gel Soufflé
This is my 3rd (and final!) purchase of this product. It’s got a weird learning curve for getting it to work well without drawbacks. I’m totally over “making products work” for me though, no matter how good the sale is. Gratefully, only ~10 uses left though so the end is nigh!:drunk:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
HIT!
Finding a forgotten stash of Ojon Restorative products (one jar was brand new, never used), including a small bottle of Restorative Mist (I went through bottles of this stuff), and the Hair Glossing cream. under the sink in the bathroom, yesterday while cleaning. :yahoo: I used to love this stuff! :yay: I opened the jar and with my finger, took some, and rubbed it onto my hair. The smell was glorious! Yes, I love the smell of Ojon. Now, I will be using this sparingly. It's gold for me.

It's so weird because I started to search on the "internets" about three months ago to see if I could find Ojon for sale in the world and the one thing I found was on Amazon and it was $$$ and also unavailable.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
HIT! Finding a forgotten stash of Ojon Restorative products (one jar was brand new, never used), including a small bottle of Restorative Mist (I went through bottles of this stuff), and the Hair Glossing cream. under the sink in the bathroom, yesterday while cleaning. I used to love this stuff! It's so weird because I started to search on the "internets" about three months ago to see if I could find Ojon for sale in the world and the one thing I found was on Amazon and it was $$$ and also unavailable.
@january noir
Gurl...:congrats: On your find! :detective:

curlyhersheygirl

NEW HITS
Ouidad Ready Set Clean scalp & hair rinse. This has been a godsend for my sensitive scalp and greatly improved the overall health of my hair. Its a gellie interpretation of an acv cleanser so I use in place of shampoo mist of the month and do a thorough cleansing with their cleansing oil once a month.

Maple Holistics tea tree conditioner. Great rinse out conditioner that's also great for the scalp.

MISS
Having no backups for HV methi set :cry3:

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Hit: Me making and testing Surge Jr. It didn’t itch, and didn’t have too much of a smell. Also I didn’t add any fragrance to it so that’s probably why lol

Miss: Me not writing down the recipe :wallbash:
Rookie mistake *facepalm*
Also me not being consistent with use, but that’s probably a character flaw.

General note: I’m gonna play around with it some more, add some things and take some things away, based off memory and the little bit of notes I did take.

Neomorph

Hits
Sunny Isle JBCO Pure Butter w/Lavender: I've already went on about this product in the Oil/Butter grease/Pomade challenge thread...a lot :oops: :lachen:. But you know what it's a holy grail for me and only the second holy grail since Kinky Curly Knot Today. It has many uses (styling my twists, greasing my scalp, sealing in moisture) and replaced multiple products in my stash and has cut down on overall styling/maintenance time.

Flat Twists: I'm able to flat twist my hair (either in 2 or 4) far quicker than doing regular double stranded twists (which could be from 10-14). Plus they stretch my hair even more than the twists to give me a nice full fro.

Mist Sprayer: During quarantine I started watching youtube hair gurus and I noticed quite a few of them used the little misting spray bottle. I ended up purchasing it and I love it. Gives a nice even coat of water without soaking my hair.

Misses

Black Seed Oil: Used it on my scalp and made it itch.

Shea Butter: Once again I tried queen shea... this time I thought "just use it on my ends for retention". On the one hand it did lubricate my ends at the cost of a bunch of acne. I'll just do an extra seal with JBCO pure butter as my face doesn't react to JBCO.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Hit: Me washing my kid’s hair. Anyone who knows him, knows why it’s a hit:lachen:

Miss: Me having to wash his hair again twice in 3 days with an applicator bottle cause his scalp didn’t get clean :look:

Another Hit: On the other hand the shampoo and ACV were slippery enough for me to detangle with cause Mr is tender headed than a mug.

Another Dang Miss: I’m gonna have to detangle again cause Mama was dang on TIRED after deep conditioning.

Neomorph

Continued Hit
Kinky Curly Knot Today- This deserves all of the accolades it gets and worth every penny!

Scalp Scrubber- Outside of my wide tooth combs, this is probably the most essential tool I have in my stash. This plus the T-sal gets my scalp clean with no damage to the scalp, and my hair doesn't get tangled with it either!

Miss (but had some redeeming factors)
Design Essentials Peppermint and Aloe Anti-Itch Shampoo- Tried it twice. While it still kept my scalp cleaner than the vast majority of shampoos I tried, it was not as effective as the T-sal shampoo (the absolute best shampoo I've used in my life) and I noticed my scalp was itchier throughout the week. This made me sad because I absolutely LOVED the tingle it gave me and I was hoping to have a black-owned shampoo to round out my hair care products.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hits

APB Strawberry Triple Moisture Buttercreme and Wash and go Hold

I was messing around the other day on dry hair and added both. I haven't had to moisturize my hair in two days. The curl definition was more voluminous because my hair wasnt wet but there was hold. I'll try them both on wet hair soon.

Last edited:

cocopuff

Hits

Soultanicals Chebe Ginger Deep Conditioner- second time buying this, really like it.
Soultanicals Megagreens Butta Shampoo- smooth texture and helps detangle while washing my hair.

ETA: Carol's Daughter Rhassoul Clay Enriching Conditioner- I love how creamy this conditioner is plus it is so moisturizing and gives so much slip. I bought four bottles of it when I saw it on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond last winter; I am guessing it has been discontinued since I can't find it anywhere. I have one full bottle left so I am trying to stretch it to make it last. I might try their Coco Creme or Almond Milk conditioners next.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
ETA: Carol's Daughter Rhassoul Clay Enriching Conditioner- I love how creamy this conditioner is plus it is so moisturizing and gives so much slip. I bought four bottles of it when I saw it on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond last winter; I am guessing it has been discontinued since I can't find it anywhere. I have one full bottle left so I am trying to stretch it to make it last.
@cocopuff
Agreed 100%:yep:...:up:

I bought some from Ph/armpak's they had them for like $3.00. I am trying to hold on to my last bottle.

They had the R/O and the DC'er. I wish I would have gotten more of the R/O's instead of both (even though I haven't tried the DC'er).

The R/O is everything.:love:

CurlyWhoCrux

Hit: Buying one of those 360 spray bottles. I get significantly more water in my hair in a noticeably shorter amount of time.

Hit: using my new spray bottle to reactivate product in my hair. It’s keeping my hair soft and I’m using significantly less product because I’m not reapplying product as often.