June 2017: Hits & Misses

curlyhersheygirl

Miss:
JMoniques Dead Sea Mud Hair wash. This was a huge miss in terms of application. This mud is thicker than stuff I apply to my face so it wasn't easy to distribute at all. The density of the product also made it impossible to manipulate the hair for proper cleansing. I just applied it and left it on for a few minutes before rinsing it out. There was also a slight sulfur scent to this that I didn't care for. I'm not sure if that's one of the properties of the type of mud used but it did throw me a bit. It did clean my hair very well but I couldn't get to my scalp with this on so it failed there. For me this won't be a repurchase as I have other clay masks that provide the same results but are much easier to apply and work into my hair and scalp.

Just OK:
Tukka Naturals Le'Moka hair mask. This was also a dense mask that made application a bit difficult. The results were nothing to write home about and the scent wasn't the yummy chocolate I'm used to. I'm glad I got this at a heavily discounted price as I don't believe it's worth the $22 regular retail price. Definitely not a repurchase; not even on sale.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@curlyhersheygirl
Great Reviews on both Products!:up:

ETA: I did/do like J.Monique's Clay Wash.:look:

It's thick, messy, hard to apply, medicinally smelling, everything you said and (as you said) it did cleanse the hair very well.

I only used it once because of these factors. But will use it again (in the future).

Also Tukka': I agreed. It was meh. And I also agree, I would not repurchase even heavily discounted. I swapped most of it, but I still have x1 Jar.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
How did you use it?
The results I got were good but the application was a huge turn off for me.
@curlyhersheygirl
I "tried" to use it like I did/do SM Purification (on dry hair).

Girl....I had that stuff evvrwhere.:spinning:

I applied on dry hair and attempted to cleanse with it.:look:

I wondered if I shoulda' used Plastic Gloves to apply? :eek:

In my original post, I think I said I thought it was messier than Henna.:abducted:

ETA: It did do a great job clarifying/detoxing/cleansing my hair tho'.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@curlyhersheygirl
Agreed about the Tukka' Le Moku too. Very Dense. Did not smell like much. I used it each time with Steam and it was still 'just okay'.:ohwell:

I've had far better Chocolate DC'ers and products. I may use this last jar as a pre-poo.:perplexed:

I liked the Lotion better.

Another poster sent me the L-I Spritz on a swap a while back, but I haven't tried it yet.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
It is messier than Henna. After reading the ingredients I thought it would be similar to SM purification mask too; but nope.
I have a lot left so I can play around with the application and see how it goes.

Tukka was a disappointment. Not sure how we'll use up the 2 jars we have but I'll figure something out.
@curlyhersheygirl
Gurl....I was like::angry2:...:censored:....:fistshake: about that Dead Sea Mud Wash stuff.

Yes, that Tukka was, a huge disappointment especially for the price-point that they are selling it at.

I'm glad we got it for 6 bucks (or whatever it was) as opposed to $22.00.:eek2:

Imma use it as a Pre-Poo eventually to get rid of it.:yawn:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@curlyhersheygirl
Gurl....I was like::angry2:...:censored:....:fistshake: about that Dead Sea Mud Wash stuff.

Yes, that Tukka was, a huge disappointment especially for the price-point that they are selling it at.

I'm glad we got it for 6 bucks (or whatever it was) as opposed to $22.00.:eek2:

Imma use it as a Pre-Poo eventually to get rid of it.:yawn:

Tukka is the best $6 Conditioner I've ever tried :laugh: If I paid full price.... she would have gotten a package back. No one should be paying $22 for that conditioner. No one.

Lissa0821

Hit:
Bronner Brother JBCO infused with Rosemary, it has been a game changer in thicken my hair over time. I use it as a oil rinse on wash day.

Three sided comb... its a little intimidating at first but it detangles and curls my hair much better than the deman brush. I can comb through my hair and braid it up once I take the braids out my hair remains detangled. I purchase one on Amazon but to replace with one I picked up at Sally. The coating on the first comb was peeling off really bad.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Continued Hits (for summer heavy-sealing) -in no particular order:
Bekura's Palm Tapioca
Oyin's Whipped Pudding
Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee
Liquid Gold's Fruit Smoothies
Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey
Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter
Naturalista's Juicy
Blue Roze Beauty's Pumpkin Hair Whip
Camille Rose Ajani Growth Hair Balm
Alikay Naturals Shea Yogurt
Alikay Naturals Botanicals

ETA: I could keep going:drunk:

lindseyerinc

Major-Mega Hits

Rhassoul clay! I had a pouch from a while ago when I was trying to DIY terresentials mud wash. It was not great back then because I only mixed with water. Today, I mixed w/ ACV, AJV, and coconut oil. My hair was so soft that I didn't even need a DC afterwards.

Flaxseed Gel, thank you @lulu97 I tried to make flaxseed gel a million times with lackluster results. I used the recipe you posted in HL-TBL thread and it was perfect

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Major-Mega Hits

Rhassoul clay! I had a pouch from a while ago when I was trying to DIY terresentials mud wash. It was not great back then because I only mixed with water. Today, I mixed w/ ACV, AJV, and coconut oil. My hair was so soft that I didn't even need a DC afterwards.

Flaxseed Gel, thank you @lulu97 I tried to make flaxseed gel a million times with lackluster results. I used the recipe you posted in HL-TBL thread and it was perfect

@lindseyerinc I'm so happy it worked well for you!!!!!

That's my basic recipe but I do add a bit of my Ayurvedic oil to it to get more nutrients. I also always make sure my hair is nice and coated with my hair balm before applying. Otherwise, I get helmet hair. :lachen:

I just discovered mud washing too. Good stuff! :drool: I bet your hair is so happy!

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Misses:
nappyheadedjojoba's DIY detangler. It's mostly wet ingredients and I should know my hair prefers to be detangled with dry stuff (oil). I (thought I) detangled in an hour and a half but there was so much shed hair left in my head when I went into the shower that my wash day was extended 2 hours detangling in there again. It was also too protein-y for me.

Hairveda's new shampoo. Now this stuff is actually decent. The issue is that Keracare's Hydrating Detangling shampoo is just as good, if not better, and I can find that on the ground in a salon size.

Hit:
Finding a couple 16.5 inch sheds despite all the trimming I've been doing.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Miracle 7 products everything
It's a 10 everything
True Brazilian Clear Keratin treatment

My hair has been soft, moisturized and awesome these last few weeks. I love everything from these two lines that I have tried so far. They are concentrated so I can literally get away with quarter sized amounts for my whole head. I'm in love! I want nothing else to touch my head but I have alot of stuff in my stash still. These will be my new go to lines.

I also like the Pure Brazilian Clear Keratin. It worked better than any one I've tried so far. I like the way it makes my hair so manageable and easy to care for. I think with this I will not relax like I was planning to. I also like that it's safe and formaldehyde free. It worked so well I'm getting the big bottle next time.

Last edited:

Sally.

Hits
Chicoro's Moisture-drenched prepoo :love:
DIY Bentonite detox (w/ ACV, AVJ, and EVOO) :love:
Redken Cleansing Creme
Design Essentials Detangling Shampoo :love:
Silk Elements Megasilk Olive Moisturizing Treatment :love:
TGIN Super Moist Leave-In :love:
Sally's Silk Elements Pure Olive Oil :love:

After months of dry, heat-damaged hair that shed everywhere and broke off if I even touched it slightly, I have been able start the process of turning my hair around and I didn't even know it could happen in only one wash session. I pretty much did as many moisturizing treatments on my hair as I could, but I really think that it was either the moisture-drenched prepoo or the Bentonite detox that I made that helped my hair do a 180. My hair was so friggin moisturized from the prepoo and my curls were popping (as much as it could on damaged hair) from the Bentonite. Every product I used after doing these two treatments, literally melted into my strands whereas before, I couldn't find ANY product that could successfully moisturize my strands.

Now, I just need to figure out how to know when to incorporate protein treatments and if my hair is hi porosity or low porosity.

Sally.

I already said this was a hit but I really think everyone should try this.

how are you incorporating these products in your regimen?