Juneteenth is now a Federal Holiday

When did you first learn about Juneteenth?

• As a child in school

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Last year with the social injustice movement

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Today with the new law

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Earlier this year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another time in the past......comment when below

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
Great news today! But still lots of work to do. Many are saying that this move is just performative with all those Jim Crow 2.0 bills out there.

I am originally from Texas and known about Juneteenth as a kid as it was taught in schools. I had assumed it was a Texas holiday based on its foundation so didn't realize it was celebrated across the country.

Ivonnovi

I learned about Juneteenth as a young adult in the 90's, from a Texan.

Where I have no problem with Blacks celebrating their independence. I have my reservations about the celebration's narrative focusing more on this as an achievement for Blacks, than focusing on how this is an achievement for the consciousness of Whites (texan slave owning whites); but don't mind me I also don't care for the "Jumping the Broom" in wedding ceremonies.

There are some unsettling truths attached to the State taking 2 years to declare it's enslaved population free.

But don't mind me. I told this same thing to a YT lady that asked me would I be participating in any event's for Juneteenth.

Last edited:

Rastafarai

Learned about it in college when I had joined one of the Black affinity groups on campus.

Very happy to hear about this, but my emails have been popping off at work. I'm in the finance industry and they're ensuring that folks know that bond and equity markets will remain open for business and we best be available for our clients. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Same ish, different day is how most of "them" view this holiday.

Last edited:

awhyley

I may have heard about it here and there, but most of what I learned about it came from here a few years ago.

Learned about it in college when I had joined one of the Black affinity groups on campus.

Very happy to hear about this, but my emails have been popping off at work. I'm in the finance industry and they're ensuring that folks know that bond and equity markets will remain open for business and we best be available for our clients. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Same ish, different day is how most of "them" view this holiday.

Doesn't everything close for a federal holiday? :confused:

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
I didn’t learn about it in school (grew up in west philly) and only became aware of it after watching a movie. I think it was the Tupac Janet Jackson movie. I forget the name (or even if that’s the right movie).

I hope our company makes it a paid holiday. They just this year made MLK day an official holiday (you could always take it off yourself as one of those “personal days” that you still got paid for). Our black networking group at work had a Juneteenth “event” as well - we had an hour long discussion over Zoom with Nikki Giovanni today. :2inlove:

weaveadiva

Everything Zen

My company gave Juneteenth off last year as a floating holiday. In other words #alllivesmatter.
The new CEO made a much better statement about equity diversity and inclusion needed in the organization but as a white man with zero black peoples on his board or leadership he just needs to :censored:

I just got promoted 3 months ago and I have been performing like my usual rock star self. I’m applying for a Director level position that was just posted that I’m more than qualified for. They do it all the time.