Juneteenth is now a Federal Holiday

When did you first learn about Juneteenth?

• As a child in school

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Last year with the social injustice movement

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Today with the new law

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Earlier this year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another time in the past......comment when below

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I believe you can have several conflicting feelings about the holiday and the historical event. I do.
There's anger, pride, joy, and recognition. People are going to have their own feelings.
I wish that all the other ills that plague us as a people were resolved just as fast as the signing of this day as a federal holiday, but I'll take it as a step. Not a huge step, but a step nonetheless.

yamilee21

Oh dear…

Someone at Food and Wine wanted to attract attention to themselves, probably some darn Qpublican trying to make a nonsensical point about cancel culture.

Actually… the recipe supposedly came from a black woman’s cookbook. But this same black woman was featured in Bon Appétit with a spread on Juneteenth, and food stereotypes were not recognizably present.

Last edited:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I can't remember when I first became aware of the story of Juneteenth, so I might have been in high school or soon after because I continued to read and educate myself about my people and participated in black history talks, conferences, etc.
I am slightly surprised that people say they never heard of Juneteenth's origin and how and where it is celebrated.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
I learned about Juneteenth as a young adult in the 90's, from a Texan.

Where I have no problem with Blacks celebrating their independence. I have my reservations about the celebration's narrative focusing more on this as an achievement for Blacks, than focusing on how this is an achievement for the consciousness of Whites (texan slave owning whites); but don't mind me I also don't care for the "Jumping the Broom" in wedding ceremonies.

There are some unsettling truths attached to the State taking 2 years to declare it's enslaved population free.

But don't mind me. I told this same thing to a YT lady that asked me would I be participating in any event's for Juneteenth.
I learned about this as a child since I grew up in Texas. But even then I never understood why it was something to commerate. It just highlights the injustice to me, and I want to learn and have everyone aware of this disgusting injustice, but I don't get the celebration.

kimpaur

I’ve known about Juneteenth since I was a kid but don’t actually think I understand what it meant until adulthood. In my city we had a yearly music festival/concert for the longest but eventually they stopped doing it.

I’m seeing a lot of people say they didn’t know what it was until adulthood. I have so many thoughts about that,but I really want us to be empowered to pass our history down to future generations.

And yes we were off and paid for it

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I learned about Juneteenth as a child in school, but not from a textbook. My elementary school had like 80% black teachers and administrators so they would give us extra info if there was ever any down time in the day.

Last year my job gave us half a day for Juneteenth and provided a catered lunch. This year, we go cupcakes on Friday and the clinics were closed yesterday.

Kanky

Oh dear…

Is it weird that this doesn’t bother me at all? I was planning to grill some peaches for a salad later and now I might toss some grilled watermelon in there too. There was a Twitter thread complaining about fried chicken and collard greens being on a Juneteenth menu and I was just annoyed that they didn’t offer any candied yams or macaroni and cheese with it. :ohwell:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I learned about this as a child since I grew up in Texas. But even then I never understood why it was something to commerate. It just highlights the injustice to me, and I want to learn and have everyone aware of this disgusting injustice, but I don't get the celebration.
I was taught about Juneteenth as a kid as a shameful injustice perpetrated on black people. I was shocked to find out as an adult that black folks celebrate it anywhere let alone Texas. I'm appalled at it being a federal holiday but I'm not go say no to these sales.

I have never celebrated it. I never will. I won't preach to anybody who wants to celebrate it tho.

Chromia

I grew up thinking that Juneteenth was just a local summer festival. I didn't know that it was commemorating anything.

Maybe about 10 years ago I found out that a nearby city has also a Juneteenth festival, and then I found out it was national.

I think here on LHCF, maybe 5 or 10 years ago, is where I learned about the meaning of Juneteenth.

I didn't have the day off. My dept's VP and the President of my company both sent out emails on Friday about it being Juneteenth.