Just a reminder

ChasingBliss

Im trying to get back into healthy eating, not just for my hair but for my entire well being. At times I fall off and follow my heart's desire and it's usually pure junk. Just in case any of you were feeling like me, here's something I found recently...just a little reminder /images/graemlins/smirk.gif....

If You Want Healthier Hair (and Im adding a healthier body), Eat This

Healthy hair requires a healthy diet. Hair typically grows a half-inch each month. Restrict your calories too much, and your hair growth will slow. It could even fall out. Hair needs a nutrient-rich supply of blood to the follicles to grow and be its healthy best.

Here's a quick test from InStyle magazine to tell if your hair is healthy: Stretch a strand of hair by the root when it's wet. Tug gently. If it stretches about 30 percent of its length before it breaks, it's healthy. If it snaps instantly, it's damaged.

Cooking Light magazine and iVillage.com emphasize that eating a healthy, well-balanced diet with the following nutrients is one of the best things you can do for your hair:

Omega-3 fatty acids
Salmon, mackerel, halibut, sardines, herring, flaxseeds, flaxseed oil, canola oil, soybeans, soybean oil, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin seed oil, walnuts, and walnut oil.

Zinc
Oysters, cereal, Alaskan King crab, the dark meat of turkey, cashews, sunflower seeds, spinach, kidney beans, and tofu.

Vitamin B-6
Bananas, salmon, light meat of chicken, sweet potato with the skin, cod, watermelon, and spinach.

Vitamin B-12
Cereal, top round steak, canned tuna packed in water, flounder, turkey breast, fruit-flavored yogurt, skim milk, and mozzarella cheese.

Selenium
Baked potatoes with the skin, roasted pork loin, eggs, top sirloin, turkey breast, wheat germ, whole wheat bread, and cashews.

Other healthy hair diet tips:

Drink lots of water--8 to 10 glasses a day--to hydrate your body and keep your hair silky and shiny.
Eat lots of fruits and veggies and stay away from processed foods.
Take a multivitamin daily.

SouthernGirl

Thanks for this Honeylemondrop /images/graemlins/up.gif

Funny, but I thought about you this AM and had planned to check in w/you on the issue you were having a few weeks or so ago. How's the hair situation? Has it gotten better? Did you ever discover the culprit?

SG

ChasingBliss

Hey SouthernGirl, thanks for thinking of me. If you are talking about my eyebrow situation, Im still not sure what that was all about but it seemed to have been only my eybrows. Within days everything went back to normal. Regardless, it was sort of a wake up call. I really gotta improve my eating habits.

SouthernGirl

Yeah! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Glad everything is back to normal. I remember it being the brows, but I wasn't sure if it had affected the rest of your hair. You are one of my hair inspirations so I wanted to make sure. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Take care,
SG

blkmaryland

One way to guarantee that your are eating healthy....stick to the outer aisles of the grocery store.....All the healthy food (ie fresh vegetables, fruit, meat, dairy, bread) are found in these aisles......junk food, processed food, sodas are found in the middle aisles!!!!!

ChasingBliss

Thanks SouthernGirl, your concern really warmed my heart and believe me with such beautiful thick hair as yours, You are definitely an inspiration to me as well.

You're welcome lThomas1 /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Blkmaryland, Ive heard this info before too. Thanks for refreshing my memory. I will definitely be mindful of the way supermarkets are set up.

SouthernGirl

Honeylemondrop /images/graemlins/kiss.gif!!

Blkmaryland, that's great advice! You're right, all the junk/processed foods are down the aisles.

This will also do wonders for our skin. Now if I could just drink water!