Just An Observation About My Natural Hair (Can Anyone Else Relate?)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
My simple observation....I've never had splits or knots when I had relaxed hair. But since being natural, I have experienced splits and knots from wearing my hair in a variety of heat free natural hair styles.

Just recently, I got my hair washed, blowdried, flat ironed, and trimmed at an Aveda Salon. My ends look soooooo healthy. I'm almost afraid to let it go back to being shrunken, coiled, and kinked up. But I know there's got to be a way to wear my hair shrunken without the ends going unnoticeably split and knotted. My hair prefers to be shrunken. As I type, my hair is starting to revert back to it's natural frizzy state. :lol:

Does it have to do with the products I've been using?

Does it have to do with my inconsistent routine?

Does it have to do with how often I wash my hair (which is very random by the way... I can wash anywhere from daily to every 2 weeks)?

Are these splits and knots caused by putting my hair into different natural hair styles which require me to manipulate my natural hair into something it doesn't normally do?

I'm starting to think the reason why I have had splits and knots is from doing so many styles on my hair. I never styled my hair this much when I was relaxed. And when my hair was shorter (3-4 inches and less), I never had splits and knots because I always wore it in its shrunken state.

Since the stylist got rid of the splits and knots I previously had, I'm thinking about going back to wearing my hair in it's shrunken state after washing my hair. I'm going to avoid styling my hair into natural hair styles like twists, etc. to see if it makes a difference in the splits and knots.

I don't know anymore. But can anyone else relate to having splits and knots on natural hair and no splits and knots on straightened hair? If so, why is this?

WhipEffectz1

Hello Pooh!

I too have knots when I wear my hair natural but I never have knots when I wear straight styles which is the main reason I prefer straight styles. :look: I think that styles like twists contribute to the hair knotting.

Suerte

I get little tiny knots at my ends, it's always happened. It doesn't happen straight though.

I don't think it has anything to do with the style of your natural hair, hair that naturally has curl and kink...wants to curl and kink, even around itself.

SEMO

I understand how you feel. For awhile I thought that I would get away with having natural hair but not having the knots that so many naturals complain of. But about a month or two ago knots just came out of nowhere :eek:. I went from one of two knots of a few random strands to whole sections of hair (especially in the back) being knotted.

Like you, this encouraged me to straigthen my hair and get my ends cut about 2 weeks ago. My ends look so much better (pics are in my fotki) but the crazy thing is the knotting didn't subside! If anything it's worsened a little. I don't know it it's b/c it got it cut straight but wear it curly and so the curls end in weird places (if I'm making any sense).

But I also think that build up from hard water is contributing to my knots. For awhile I was using the ORS creamy aloe shampoo w/ every wash, but I got lazy about it recently and I can tell the difference. I just babied my hair and am allowing it to deep condition for the 1st time in a long time so hopefully that will help me.

P

patient1

Another LHCF member and I were just talking about this tonight. I didn't have to contend with splits, etc. when I was relaxed the way I had to the past 16 years of being natural.

Yeah, I get splits sometimes, but not the creative works of art I got as a natural. And I was a hot and gold abuser: daily hotcurling and the whole nine. I didn't stretch my relaxers or none of that.

The one time I started locking it was because I wanted a style that didn't require worry about ends. Instead I started whipping stuff up.

I feel you Pooh.

p1

eta: I don't know what products you use, but really butter up those ends when you twist, braid, etc. I don't think styling, etc. leads to the splits. I think you can wear your shrunken fro, do nothing to it, and still experience them. Let me think on this one more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bint Yusef

I know I have raggady ends hiding in this bush. Im slowly dusting them, I dont want a major hack, it will discourage me from my goal.

I didnt think being natural that my ends would as bad as they are, but yeah Ive noticed this too. I havent pinned down a culprit.

vangrey

I find that my hair has been responding better since becoming natural
I use to suffer from chronic split ends when I was relaxed
but now i see them here and there
I think it is because I don't heat style
or do any kind of style to my hair
and also i think the conditioner plays a huge role in it as well
i use a super moisturizing conditioner everyday
and since doing that,
my hair has become really manageable, soft, and moisturized

Cheleigh

I didn't really pay attention to my hair as a relaxed head, but I "think" that I had fewer split ends and certainly no knots as a relaxed head. My natural hair really likes single strand knots and splits--usually a 1/2" from the hair ends. I think these have both decreased since I've been applying shea butter pomade and a thick gel to my strands. I'm starting to think that my hair likes to be "protected" with some sort of coating product--it helps keep the strands a little more separated. We'll see--I'm still experimenting.

But yeah, I feel ya--I actually think my hair is a bit more fragile in some ways as a natural head (wearing natural styles) than it was as a relaxed head--honestly.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
uhhh...you got your hair straightened? WHERE ARE THE PICS??????

Details are needed on this Aveda visit as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wear my hair in a puff 99% of the time and the knots, tangles and splits come right back after every snip of the scissors.

P

patient1

I agree on the buttering thing. My natural ends really like to be sealed in there...at least for my texture.

And yep, my relaxed hair took a real beating and held it down for me. :) My natural hair likes gentler treatment.

p1

eta: Cichelle's got a hair twin in Vangrey, huh?

lovelymissyoli

To be honest I just think knots come with the territory of natural hair.

Just like you, when I got my hair cut @ Supercut my ends looked so amazingly healthy, as they were. However, after letting my hair shrink back after washing and wearing a twistout, the knots were inevitable. I just make sure I detangle the shed hair out and keep going about my business. I have knots, but not to the point where my hair is not growing because of them.

Also, I noticed that when I first chopped, by styling on wet hair 100% of the time I never knew what knots were. It wasn't until I discovered dry styling that the knots started forming!

joyous

lovelymissyoli said:
To be honest I just think knots come with the territory of natural hair.

I have to agree, even though I always use a ends sealer after washing. The longer my hair gets the worse the knots get. What I've been doing lately is lightly blowdrying my hair on a cool setting after it is 95% airdryed. It helps a lot.

MommaMayhann

So far I have not had to deal knots. I don't do a lot of combing to my TWA... Mabey once every 3-4 weeks... (Is that triflin?? I really don't know:perplexed) When I was natural a few years ago I had gangsta knots! Gangsta enough to make me avoid combing it! (Yeah... THAT was definitely triflin!)

Now the split ends are a whole 'notha story... What's the deal with the little raggedy straight strands that stick out? Is that what "scab hair" is? I am not sure if they are true split ends or just hard headed. I DC no less than once a week and since I am in the house all day I spend most of the time baggied. My hair is a moisture hog. I have also tried curly shampoo and con thinking that may help... It didn't. Should I just go ahead and dust these?

honeybadgirl

i can relate although i dont get knots at the ends but, my hair seems to split alot since i have become natural. i really dont think my hair likes to be in its natural state because thats when i have setbacks with it. i'm wearing my hair in a wash n go ponytail today and thought i was throwing caution to the wind.:eek:
my hair does florish much better being str8!

dynamic1

I have been wondering what to do about the knots and tangles lately. Even pondering a serious hair cut out of frustration. I did not have this problem when relaxed either.

I have learned the following lessons regarding tangles and knots.

Lesson 1: I cannot go over these knots with a flat iron thus I have not straightened my hair for months!
Lesson 2: Stretched styles create less of a problem.

When I coat my hair with conditioner, even gel it lengthens the hair and I get less tangles, matting and knots. A few times I let my hair shrink all the way and regretted it come wash time. It was so tangled and matted I wanted o cry.

ETA: I think it is so bass ackwards that I have learn how to take care of my natural hair but I know how to make relaxed hair thrive. PSA- parents please re-consider relaxing your daughters hair before she knows how to take care of it in its natural texture. sigh.

Last edited:

Minx

dynamic1 said:
I have been wondering what to do about the knots and tangles lately. Even pondering a serious hair cut out of frustration. I did not have this problem when relaxed either.
quote]

I have been really throwing a fit recently over knots...they look like little balls on the ends of my strands.
When I pick my hair, I hear tearing and breaking, but I gotta get them out!

I told my honey yesterday that I can't take it anymore and that I needed him to trim my ends for me....he doesn't cut hair, but that's just how desperate I am! Instead, he called our stylist and set me up an appointment for next week (natural hair care salon).

I figured the only solution is to get my hair cut, because the knots are very problematic.
I thought they came from split ends,or maybe because my hair is different lengths in different places as it's growing out.
Now I don't know what to think since others are experiencing the same issue.

It's interesting that when I was wearing twists all the time, I did not seem to have this problem, or maybe I just didn't notice.

But now that I am alternating between wearing a stretched and a shrunken fro, I am having to contend with them and they drive me crazy!:mad:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I always wondered whether knots and splits are going to keep me from reaching my hair goals :confused: I'm having the same issues. :(

TropicalRose

the splits are probably from you ripping through your hair (its inevitable with our texture). i would suggest keeping the hair stretched 24/7 to minimize the knots and thus the splits or control your coils while drying so that your coils are more "ordered". for that, stretch your hair while its wet until it is slightly damp either by use of banding, bunning, plopping, or lightly blow drying (to keep the coil pattern, just grab a chunk of hair, hold it taut, and pass the blow dryer over it until its damp). also, step up the grooming so that you remove shed hairs faster and easier. i would suggest getting a boar bristle brush for that

Gryphyn

I can also relate, but I've noticed a lot less split ends and almost no knots since I've been wearing my hair in cornrows.

I rarely had split ends on my relaxed hair and I never had knots. Knots happen on natural hair because it sometimes curls back onto itself.

ToyToy

I can so relate, Poohbear! When I was relaxed I never had split ends. I dyed and fried my hair, and it was thin and dry, but I didn't have splits. I didn't even know what they look like until I went natural. I don't use any heat at all, and though my hair is dyed, I do weekly light protein treatments and keep my ends moisturised.
Unfortunately, it gets worse if I wear my hair unstretched. My hair tangles a lot more this way, and I get even more knots than I already have, so I always stretch with braids. I am hoping it will get better with time!

Cichelle

I don't have splits...but the tangles and knots are ridiculous sometimes. I long ago gave up on the twists because making them seemed like too much manipulation and afterwards my ends seemed kind of :ohwell:. I find that what works for me is using a natural butter on my ends and keeping the styles real simple, like just clipping it up and leaving it alone. That's why I always say I really don't do anything with my hair. It likes to knot up in a minute.

There have been times I suspected that I'd be well off with my hair if I just got it flat ironed every week or two and mostly wore it straight. However, my hair is longer now than it's every been and in better condition. So, I don't think that can be quite right.

glamazon386

I rarely get knots in my hair. I had more knots and tangles as a relaxed head. That was probably bc my hair was so damaged/broken off. My routine now is pretty much the same as it was when I was relaxed. Minus the combing/detangling after every wash. I still wash, dc and airdry weekly.

As a natural, I think the knots come from styling and manipulation. (Other than those little one strand pixie knots I get in the nape on the left side when my hair is dry. IDK what thats all about.) I got my ends trimmed in february for the first time since I bced my own hair. So it definitely needed to be done. When I went back to the salon a month ago (10 weeks later) they were fine. And they still feel fine to me. But I leave my hair alone and barely manipulate it. I don't even comb it. But I did notice that when it's being twisted or whatever sometimes ends get snagged and I see broken hairs. If I had left it alone, that wouldn't happen.

Last edited:

Cichelle

patient1 said:
I agree on the buttering thing. My natural ends really like to be sealed in there...at least for my texture.

And yep, my relaxed hair took a real beating and held it down for me. :) My natural hair likes gentler treatment.

p1

eta: Cichelle's got a hair twin in Vangrey, huh?

I'm always on the look out for hair type twins, especially ones with beautiful hair so they can teach me how they do it! I think Vangrey's hair has a looser curl than mine. I was just looking at her siggy the other day and admiring how pretty her hair looks.

ladylibra

patient1 said:
I don't think styling, etc. leads to the splits. I think you can wear your shrunken fro, do nothing to it, and still experience them. Let me think on this one more.

yeppers.. cuz i am a wash & go addict, the only manipulation my hair gets is detangling once a week or so... and my ends still get knotty. ;)

ladylibra

patient1 said:
I don't think styling, etc. leads to the splits. I think you can wear your shrunken fro, do nothing to it, and still experience them. Let me think on this one more.

yeppers.. cuz i am a wash & go addict, the only manipulation my hair gets is detangling once a week or so... and my ends still get knotty. ;)

glamazon386

When I wear my hair out it's primarily wash n gos but I don't have problems with tangles. Do you ladies think it's bc my hair is still short?

frostydoll

bmoreflyygirl said:
When I wear my hair out it's primarily wash n gos but I don't have problems with tangles. Do you ladies think it's bc my hair is still short?

When I first chopped I think my hair was about the length in your siggy and I definitely didn't have as many tangles and issues that I have now. I absolutely hate detangling and have been considering chopping again because it's so frustrating sometimes lol.

PinkSkates

I get very few knots and tangles in my natural hair; I think because I keep it straightened 70% percent of the time. My hair only tangles and knots- up if I try and keep it shruken too long. My hair is almost 2 inches past my bra strap and that is too much hair for me to try and keep shruken and detangled. It may sound crazy but my hair does not tangle or knot-up on me as long as I keep the ends moist and pressed straight. And when I detangle my hair after shampooing I detangle with my hands first, then my wide-tooth comb, then my medium-tooth comb, then my tiny-teeth comb. That's how I keep knots and tangles to a bare minimum.

Guapa1

You know, I've been looking for a really old thread on this very subject. I swear someones hairdresser told them this years ago.