Just had an epiphany: lye vs. no lye ,protein vs. ceramides

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Extemely Informative Thread. I snuck and read it at the Office today. It explains alot and it answers alot of questions that may have seemed evasive as far as: "Why is my Hair so Dry after Relaxing" Why is my Hair dull, brittle etc.....That's why I am bumping this again.:brainy:There are plenty of Ladies that Can Greatly Benefit from the Information in this Thread.

Threads Like this is when the Dialogue was totally "Serious" about Errrbody Gettin' Some Healthy Hair. Researched Based Information.

I have Shamboosie's book as well, and while I don't agree with everything in it, he made some valid points about lye & no lye, Moisture & Protein, Ceramides.:think:

And Of Course, He is Not as Knowledgable as We All are on Certain Topics.:giggle:

Last edited:

SpiritJunkie

Good thread, this is going into the file....

Hey there!!

Are you still using Affirm no lye?

Iim trying to figure out what to do. I'm retaining my length but dyam my hair is dry..i frequently dc and wash 2wice a week.

I'm thinking of changing to Affirm Lye. Just curious to what you did.

TIA!

*Muffin*

Okay, because I'm simple I had to look up exactly what a ceramide is.

Ceramides are natural lipids (fats) and a major component of skin structure. These fats allow skin to retain moisture. Moisturizers and other beauty products contain synthetic ceramides to replace those lost in the aging process. [] (taken from WebMD)

I also found out from Wikipedia that ceramides are found in the cell membrane of cells. Additionally, I tried to figure out what natural things contain ceramides, and so far my searches are telling me that Essential Fatty Acids have them, and one oil that I found out that contains them naturally is hemp oil. Do all natural oils have ceramides?

Last edited:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Sedal has ceramide shampoos, conditioners and leave-ins. You usually find it at the Latino section of the grocery store or pharmacy. I'm going to pj again and get some old Sedal.

deusa80

Great thread...I'm suscribing...

I'm thinking using no-lye might be one of the reasons for my dryness..
What's the best way to transition from no-lye to lye?
Pre-lhcf when I didn't know there was a difference between the two I would just switch up whenever I liked, I'm guessing that's not the best way to do it:look:

Barbie83

Great thread...I'm suscribing...

I'm thinking using no-lye might be one of the reasons for my dryness..
What's the best way to transition from no-lye to lye?
Pre-lhcf when I didn't know there was a difference between the two I would just switch up whenever I liked, I'm guessing that's not the best way to do it:look:

I just made the switch back to lye and it has DEFINITELY made a difference in the way my hair feels and looks.

I think the best way to switch would simply be to stretch as long as you can before you relax with the lye relaxer (I waited 15 weeks). And be sure to do a protein treatment (Aphogee 2 minute) 1 week before and maybe also during the relaxer process (before neutralizing) I did this and my results were fantastic.

deusa80

I just made the switch back to lye and it has DEFINITELY made a difference in the way my hair feels and looks.

I think the best way to switch would simply be to stretch as long as you can before you relax with the lye relaxer (I waited 15 weeks). And be sure to do a protein treatment (Aphogee 2 minute) 1 week before and maybe also during the relaxer process (before neutralizing) I did this and my results were fantastic.

Thanks! I'm working on stretching my relaxers longer anyway... I'm going to try a lye relaxer next time and see if I notice any difference.
Now I have to work on finding a good no lye relaxer... which one did you use?

msbettyboop

This thread is FANTASTIC. I'm about to cut off 2 inches of damaged hair that cannot be saved and go on a 6 month stretch while I compile information on how not to destroy my hair when it grows back. Musing between lye and no lye is on the list. No lye used to burn my head like crazy when I was a teenager and I use ORS olive oil now. I think this thread has helped me to make an informed decision on this one. LHCF is awesome!

CaliDiamond

I'm a lifetime no-lye user because my scalp is VERY sensitive. As I read this post, I realized that my hair holds a lot more moisture since I have been using the Dominican conditioners. I checked the ingredients and all of the ones I own have ceramides! Thank you for this post!

HeChangedMyName

Oh ok. soooo, I bought some Sedal Ceramidas a while back, not knowing how to use it, But now I know, I really need to be using it on my no lye relaxed hair. Thanks!!!

Precious_P

Wow,
There is so much info in this thread. I just swtiched from no-lye to lye because my hair was dry (even with cheleating).
Thanks for the info ladies!

sharifeh

Great thread. I'm glad I bought a tube of Keraphix and a tub of Silicon Mix. They both contain ceramides. Knowledge is power!

I have silicon mix This is so interesting!!

Ok, I just re-read this thread and since then I've learned a lot a/b no-lye relaxers (thanks to Sistaslick's lovely articles).

For those that use no-lye relaxers and want to incorporate ceramides into your regimen, please keep in mind that ceramides are meant for more cuticle-binding purposes in regards to the hair shaft. The wash day after the relaxer is the perfect time to incorporate the ceramide-containing products into your regimen, considering using a chelating 'poo that day will rid your hair of most, if not all the deposits, and leave your hair with a clean slate and prepping it for the ultimate conditioning experience. (Now, this isn't to say that you cannot use a ceramide product on wash day!) Proteins and moisturizers are still necessary to help support the integrity of the hair post-relaxer (esp. hydrolyzed silk and wheat proteins that actually enter the shaft), but you can totally think of ceramides as a bonus ingredient to help nourish the strand after such an invasive process. Furthermore, using ceramide products throughout the relaxer cycle (those weeks between relaxer sessions) can help fortify the strands so that less damage will occur on the next touch up day :)

Lye users can still benefit from the strengthening properties of this ingredient as well, but I wanted to post this for no-lye users as calcium deposits/dryness, etc can be a concern for no-lye users.

Hope this made some sort of sense ;) If not, I know someone will come in here and tell me a/b myself! J/k :lol:

Hmmm, can someone explain this?
also where do ceramides stand for lye users??

sharifeh

I have to bump this to ask: do lye users benefit from ceramides too???
Or is this mainly for no lye users...

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
As a Lye User, I used Matrix Biolage Ceramides Cera-Repair the first time last wash-day.

I used it after my DC Treatment prior to my Final Rinse.:yep: I felt my hair dried softer and my NG appeared more managable & Shiny.

I plan to incorporate Ceramides possibly weekly at first and gauge my results then decide how I can benefit long-term from incorporating this product.:grin:

Last edited:

Vintageglam

Thanks!!

what exactly is that matrix product? is that a DC?

Here are the products (you can buy them in tubes or vials). I have both. I think the Vials (small bottles) are the "Salon" formula so use these left often when I really need a boost - i.e. 1x month. The tubes I think are good for weekly use. You just add them to your DC or final conditioning rinse (for about 10 mins) and they make a huge diff to the feel of your hair. Add them to a steam treatment and it takes your hair to a whole other level:

http://www.amazon.com/Biolage-Matri...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1261398614&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/BIOLAGE-Matri...ef=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1261398614&sr=8-4

http://public.fotki.com/stellagirl76/products/ceramides.html

HTH's

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
awsome thread!This info helped me realize that no-lye made my hair more dry and encouraged me to try ceramides. Its been a great ride ever since! :yep: