Justice for Shanquella Robinson

awhyley

Say it ain't so. Such a tragic end for this young woman. :cry3:

US authorities won’t make arrest in Shanquella Robinson case, officials announce
BY KALLIE COX UPDATED APRIL 12, 2023 4:35 PM

The U.S. Attorney’s Office in North Carolina announced Wednesday authorities will not pursue criminal charges in the United States in the death of Shanquella Robinson, and the FBI and federal prosecutors have completed their investigation into her death. It is unclear how or if this will impact the requested extradition of the traveling companion Mexican authorities issued an arrest warrant for last year. Robinson, 25, died in October under suspicious circumstances a day after she arrived in Cabo, Mexico. She was on a vacation with six people. The FBI opened an investigation into her death in November.

Robinson’s story has gone viral and Mexican authorities have issued an arrest warrant for femicide (similar to homicide) for Daejhanae Jackson, one of the six travelers, according to lawyers for her family Benjamin Crump and Sue-Ann Robinson. The lawyers wrote a letter to the White House in March, citing information from Mexican prosecutors. U.S. officials on Wednesday made clear there’s no criminal suspect stemming from the FBI investigation but did not specify the Department of Justice or Department of State’s position on extradition. The Department of Justice met with Robinson’s family and attorneys Wednesday morning and told them it has completed its investigation and will not prosecute any of the six suspects. Sue-Ann Robinson (not related to Shanquella Robinson) has planned a meeting with supporters and media in Charlotte for Wednesday afternoon.

“Based on the results of the autopsy and after a careful deliberation and review of the investigative materials by both U.S. Attorneys’ Offices, federal prosecutors informed Ms. Robinson’s family today that the available evidence does not support a federal prosecution,” said U.S. Attorneys Sandra J. Hairston and Dena J. King in a joint statement.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article274229445.html

nysister

This isn't victim blaming. It's advice. It's guidance. You can't call just anybody a friend. You can't travel with just anybody. People kill me with this "stop victim blaming, stop shaming people" mess. It's almost like people would rather see someone stay oblivious, unaware and in danger instead of talking to them about warning signs and self preservation.
100%
Repetition for emphasis.

We as Black women are especially prone to trusting other Black people especially Black women. This is simply advice for anyone in the future, not blaming a victim.

I remember being on a job where a Guyanese Indian woman told me to be careful of this super friendly Black woman. When I asked why she simply said "NYsis, not everyone friendly is your friend. She's very jealous of you." I took her advice and am glad I did, as I later found out that she was 100% correct.

Last edited:

nysister

I understand both your points of view, however, there are many out there who aren't thinking as deeply and are resigned to lay the blame at her feet. I'm sure that the friends displayed the 'red flags' that Ms. Robinson ignored. However, we've all been there, trying to get people to like us, (in her case, at her own detriment). There are just so many cases where people just start laying into the victim, "she shouldn't have done this" or "she shouldn't have done that" where their actual suffering gets diminished, which burns me up.
I understand where you're coming from, I do truly believe that at least most people are very hurt for her and wish these monsters had never come into her life. In saying this (at least from me) it has to do with serving as a warning to other people.

Her death was in no way whatsoever her fault, however if another young woman starts to question some of the people in her circle due to this tragedy, hopefully at least one life can be saved.

larry3344

This isn't victim blaming. It's advice. It's guidance. You can't call just anybody a friend. You can't travel with just anybody. People kill me with this "stop victim blaming, stop shaming people" mess. It's almost like people would rather see someone stay oblivious, unaware and in danger instead of talking to them about warning signs and self preservation.
That’s the world we live in. The truth is synonymous with hating.

Q