K18 Hair Treatment-Rebuild Keratin Bonds Permanently

VinDieselsWifey

Has anyone ever heard of this hair treatment? I've seen a few Youtube videos and read some articles. According to this brand, the other bond builders on the market are temporary, like a band-aid, but this technology heals hair for permanent reversal of damage. There is a 4-minute spray on mist and a 4-minute leave in mask. The mist is for professional's only but the mask can be bought by anyone. I have used Olaplex plenty of times and like it. I have also bought FHI's Neo Bond system but haven't tried it yet. A couple of years ago I suffered terrible heat damage. I used bond builders from Olaplex and Matrix to try to repair the damage. They helped, but some parts of my hair never reverted from the heat damage. I wonder could this repair my hair? Since I have my license, I'm going to order both products soon and see how they work.

This is the website: https://www.k18hair.com/

This article talks about the technology: https://behindthechair.com/articles/newly-discovered-k18-peptide-rebuilds-keratin-in-4-minutes/

VinDieselsWifey

It looks like the mist is to be used before color or bleach, so I don’t need that. I’ll only get the mask when I order.

I also read they don’t recommend using the K18 Mist or Mask prior to Brazilian or Keratin treatments. They do recommend that you use the K18 Mask on your first hair wash after treatment and for 6 consecutive times after.

luckiestdestiny

It looks like the mist is to be used before color or bleach, so I don’t need that. I’ll only get the mask when I order.

I also read they don’t recommend using the K18 Mist or Mask prior to Brazilian or Keratin treatments. They do recommend that you use the K18 Mask on your first hair wash after treatment and for 6 consecutive times after.
just want to clarify, they recommend you using it after a keratin treatment . Like the next wash correct?

VinDieselsWifey

I just ordered the mist and the spray each in the 5 oz size. I had to do it over the phone from a distributor. They were $56 each :perplexed:
I should receive them either end of this week or early next week.

I bought the mist because on their Instagram they recommend using both for even better results.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I just ordered the mist and the spray each in the 5 oz size. I had to do it over the phone from a distributor. They were $56 each :perplexed:
I should receive them either end of this week or early next week.

I bought the mist because on their Instagram they recommend using both for even better results.

I cant wait to see how it goes @VinDieselsWifey

VinDieselsWifey

I used the mist and the leave-in yesterday. It’s been a week since my amino acid treatment. I washed my hair twice with Elucence moisture balance shampoo and removed the excess moisture. Then I applied the mist in sections and combed it through. The directions say to apply the mist to damp hair and let sit 4 minutes before a color/chemical service. Dry hair, proceed to service, then wash out and use the leave-in.
I let my hair air dry with the mist for about 4 hours before I washed it out :look:
My hair felt very, very soft. Then I washed it again, applied the leave-in, and let it air dry overnight. Today my hair feels sooo soft. The brand says to use for 4-6 consecutive washes for initial repair and then every 3-4 washes for maintenance.
I will try use it once a week for 6 weeks. I didn’t have to use a lot of product to get it to spread throughout my hair. That’s good since it’s pretty expensive even with my professional discount.
When I was applying the mist I did have a little shedding. I’ve been running my fingers through my hair today and there have been no shed or broken hairs, literally nothing in my hands.
I’m excited about this product. We will see in 5 more weeks how my hair is doing.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
I used the mist and the leave-in yesterday. It’s been a week since my amino acid treatment. I washed my hair twice with Elucence moisture balance shampoo and removed the excess moisture. Then I applied the mist in sections and combed it through. The directions say to apply the mist to damp hair and let sit 4 minutes before a color/chemical service. Dry hair, proceed to service, then wash out and use the leave-in.
I let my hair air dry with the mist for about 4 hours before I washed it out :look:
My hair felt very, very soft. Then I washed it again, applied the leave-in, and let it air dry overnight. Today my hair feels sooo soft. The brand says to use for 4-6 consecutive washes for initial repair and then every 3-4 washes for maintenance.
I will try use it once a week for 6 weeks. I didn’t have to use a lot of product to get it to spread throughout my hair. That’s good since it’s pretty expensive even with my professional discount.
When I was applying the mist I did have a little shedding. I’ve been running my fingers through my hair today and there have been no shed or broken hairs, literally nothing in my hands.
I’m excited about this product. We will see in 5 more weeks how my hair is doing.
Did it interfere with your keratin results at all? I bought some but don't want to mess up how my hair looks.

VinDieselsWifey

Did it interfere with your keratin results at all? I bought some but don't want to mess up how my hair looks.
It didn’t affect the treatment. I was worried about that too. My hair is actually looser this time around with the amino acid treatment. It’s only wavy instead of big curls. I liked the results I had last year with big curls. I will probably do a few protein treatments in addition to the K18 to see if my hair gets curlier.

Colocha

It didn’t affect the treatment. I was worried about that too. My hair is actually looser this time around with the amino acid treatment. It’s only wavy instead of big curls. I liked the results I had last year with big curls. I will probably do a few protein treatments in addition to the K18 to see if my hair gets curlier.
Awesome, thank you. I'll try it next wash day.

BonBon88

Hey! I ordered the leave-in a few days ago, so excited about this product. I use a mix of Olaplex (shampoo and no. 2), Straight Request (Fixative deep conditioner) and CHI (Silk Infusion and Infra conditioner when I use heat). K18's site states deep conditioner isn't necessary so I'll test this out. My hair is in a pretty decent state but a product claiming to actually reverse damage of course catches attention.

If you don't mind me asking, which amino acid treatment do you use? My hair really likes protein and bonding treatments (natural and relaxed). Silk amino acids have done very well with my hair as a spritz and before blow-dry.

I'm rambling but this thread is definitely a gem in the making and wanted to ask a few questions before it blows up lol!

Thanks.

VinDieselsWifey

Hey! I ordered the leave-in a few days ago, so excited about this product. I use a mix of Olaplex (shampoo and no. 2), Straight Request (Fixative deep conditioner) and CHI (Silk Infusion and Infra conditioner when I use heat). K18's site states deep conditioner isn't necessary so I'll test this out. My hair is in a pretty decent state but a product claiming to actually reverse damage of course catches attention.

If you don't mind me asking, which amino acid treatment do you use? My hair really likes protein and bonding treatments (natural and relaxed). Silk amino acids have done very well with my hair as a spritz and before blow-dry.

I'm rambling but this thread is definitely a gem in the making and wanted to ask a few questions before it blows up lol!

Thanks.
I use Avlon Texture Release. I’ve used K18 twice now but my hair is in braids at the moment. I will use it again when I take my braids out at the end of the month. I’m trying to use up my X-cel 21 products and the easiest way for me to do that is to keep my hair braided.

BonBon88

As an update, I really like this product- I noticed my hair was stronger after the first use last week. Barely any hair shed or broke since then (I've been using Olaplex for over a year so this likely contributed as well). Actually since I've used Olaplex for so long, I probably wouldn't see as drastic a difference as if I had not, so keep that in mind. Over all I really like the strength it imparts - I just relaxed my hair this morning and have K18 in my hair now. This is the second use and I'm noticing the extra softness. Will keep you all posted.

BonBon88

As an update, I really like this product- I noticed my hair was stronger after the first use last week. Barely any hair shed or broke since then (I've been using Olaplex for over a year so this likely contributed as well). Actually since I've used Olaplex for so long, I probably wouldn't see as drastic a difference as if I had not, so keep that in mind. Over all I really like the strength it imparts - I just relaxed my hair this morning and have K18 in my hair now. This is the second use and I'm noticing the extra softness. Will keep you all posted.
OK second update - K18 is a keeper for sure. Just got back from vacation and had no (detectable) breakage, and I actually forgot to bring it with me. Since I missed one week (you're supposed to use the product 4-6 consecutive times) I'll be adding one to my 6 week routine for this. After this is complete, I'm using my trusty Straight Request deep conditioner with the SSAs added. So far so good, my hair is very soft and now smooth. I haven't put any heat on it in several weeks, even after I relaxed, so I don't know how my hair will be but I'm expecting great results.

GettingKinky

luckiestdestiny

I was curious about this product so I was looking around their website. They have a paper where they are investigating using peptides as an alternative to relaxers or keratin treatments for straightening hair.
The process seems a bit tedious, but if they come up with a safe way to straighten hair, they are going to make soooo much money.

It doesn't seem tedious. They just broke down the process and compared to a control (unaltered hair).

It looks like it is a done deal. I don't think they would be stupid enough to reveal their hand if they weren't already steps ahead in producing products. Otherwise someone else could take the market. I would hope they would know better than to share this information with others whi could use it to produce knock offs.

Some of my thoughts on the paper after seeing the results :
I wonder if it is permanent like a relaxer or if it will wear off. It lasted at least 20 washes as that was the timeline of the samples without any reversion. I wonder if it will last 90 plus.

Also, they would be smart to also do the less straight samples for those who want to loosen their texture not just straighten. There is a market for

• a temp straight that goes beyond what is out there where even washed, it doesn't revert for a while ( like a few months for those who are straightened naturals) but it wears off,
  • A market for permanent straight to compete with relaxers
  • a market for loosening curls temporary but longer than what's out so even when washed it doesn't revert as fast(lasts several months again but reverts)
  • and finally for someone who wants permanent loosening of curls kinda like a texturizer/lax ,
That's four or more formulas (if you want to have percentages of curl loosening). No need for the wash and wear cysteine market when you can take on this one and leave that to those already on it (where it reverts when wet immediately but still is easier to straighten)

Let's face it a permanent safe green alternative that is safe to relaxers will already take a huge market. So if they only go there they will be ahead of everyone. The rest will take a significant amount more who want options but do not want permanent.

Last edited:

Colocha

I finally got around to using K18 and I'm going to co-sign everyone saying it's a keeper. I wound up using it like 2 months after my last keratin treatment. For my previous keratin treatment I used Olaplex at this same time mark and it reverted my hair considerably. The K18 kept my loosened curl pattern, just strengthened my hair. Will definitely continue to use this.

beloved1bx

I got a silk press 2 weeks ago for the first time since going natural. Heat hasn't touched my hair since Jan 2019. The stylist used K18. My hair was so soft when she finished and has remained pretty soft despite me not doing anything to it (haven't even put in any moisturizer since the appt). I had gotten the silk press for a wedding that I was in. So 2 days after my appt more heat was added during the wedding day (adding curls and then touching them up). I'm hoping the K18 has helped to protect my hair from any damage.

ETA: Got my hair washed today. No heat damage was found! I'm sure the K18 def helped. The stylist told me even if there was damage the K18 would help to repair it.

Last edited: